• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carrying on a Motorcycle Ride from AZ to Ramah, NM

Ltp0wer

Soon, I am going to be driving my motorcycle from AZ to Ramah, New Mexico. I am planning to enter into NM through Highway 53, which passes through Zuni. I plan to open carry the whole way, because both states allow it. I am 19 years old, so I can't conceal in Arizona, and Arizona's vehicle carry laws are vague when it comes to motorcycles (I'm not sure if I can keep a gun concealed in my unlocked saddlebags).

My question is, Should I/Will I be able to open carry though Zuni? I think it is reservation land, and I don't think that state preemption applies.
Also, what statutes or laws can I read to familiarize myself with New Mexico's gun laws? In Arizona, Title 13, Chapter 31 of our statues holds most of the laws about firearms.

I've never been to New Mexico before, but my parents just bought property there, and I'd love to see it.

AH.74

If you go to handgunlaw.us and bring up the NM file you will see a section re: places off-limits even with a permit/license.

In that section it says you may NOT carry open or concealed on tribal land, unless authorized by the tribe (which won't happen). NMSA 29-19-10.

HOWEVER, provided you stay on the bike or right by it if you're gassing up, you CAN legally carry concealed in NM. As long as you are on or in your vehicle you do not need a permit, if you are legal to possess. At 19 years old you are legal. If you are passing through on the public roadways you should be fine. Just don't go into any stores- stay right with the bike.

53 is a nice road, I was just on it a few weeks ago.

PracticalTactical

I wouldn't OC on the bike on the pueblo land. OC in AZ, but I'd go ahead and conceal at the border when nobody's around.

Tribal officers are always looking for ways to punish outsiders for the sins of past generations. If they see the gun, you're just begging for them to make up some law on the spot and confiscate the gun. Good luck ever getting it back.

MrGlock

concealed carry

Your vehicle is an extension of your private property (in NM); you can store a handgun in your saddle bags, no problem.

Also, don't go to any rest stops on tribal land with a firearm; stay on the highway. State roads are owned by the state, and not by the reservations. You are still on state property and subject to state law if you stay on these roads. Passing through a reservation on a state highway with a firearm is just fine.

I have ridden my harley around town open and have had no problems; one guy last year rolled down his window while we were both at a stoplight, looked at my handgun, and he told me 'rock on, man, rock on!'. It was pretty amusing, and I'm glad that there is some support here for open carry. It doesn't say much about APD, though... They can be picky about it at times.

Last edited: