• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

To what degree did Joe Straus contribute to the death of OC in 2011?

Katpierson

He sure did

Does anyone have any information on how Joe Straus handled OC in this session? Did he do anything overtly or covertly to assist or impede OC legislation? He was elected Speaker nearly unanimously, with support from the likes of George Lavender. In previous sessions, he's been clearly anti-OC. Is there any accountability for those that made him Speaker this session?

Of course he did! It never made it out of Committee. Just as the Sanctuary Cities bill. www.katrinapierson.com

pooley

Of course he did! It never made it out of Committee. Just as the Sanctuary Cities bill. www.katrinapierson.com

Actually it did, but it was reported so late the calendars committee had a difficult time fitting it into the schedule. Then a corrected committee report was issued, which bumped it farther back in line. Ultimately, calendars simply couldn't get it in the general calendar for consideration.

Lots of things happened to keep HB 2756 off the floor. We can't justly pin it down on any one person or event.

()pen(arry

Lots of things happened to keep HB 2756 off the floor. We can't justly pin it down on any one person or event.

Sure, and I wasn't trying to pin it on him. I was simply wondering how he was involved, this go-round.

I'm not sure there's much point in a guy like Lavender submitting an OC bill if he's first going to elect Joe Straus Speaker. Straus is neither a Republican nor a Democrat. He's a self-server, and he doesn't give three squirts of rat pee about Texans who aren't named Joe Straus. Someone willing to vote for him, let alone make him Speaker, doesn't seem to have particularly good judgement, in my mind.