• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New gun owner got answer for carry gun to shooting range

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Conditionthree... does your set-up allow you through school zones then? Could you legally conceal your locked case?

Because a secure locked case is an exemption to both 626.9 and 12025, the law is not being violated when one transports an unloaded handgun in this manner. Prohibitions in public buildings, on school grounds, at post offices are all unaffected.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
But can you make ready .....

Because a secure locked case is an exemption to both 626.9 and 12025, the law is not being violated when one transports an unloaded handgun in this manner. Prohibitions in public buildings, on school grounds, at post offices are all unaffected.
In two seconds from your locked carry holster? Be pretty useless in my eyes as a self defense weapon if you can't make ready....fumbling with the combo lock in the dark ...you guys are killing me lol

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
It looks like 12026.2 would work if you could prove that you were going directly to or from a shooting range, as the topic of this thread is.

On a slightly different note, it seems on the CA boards I sometimes hear people discuss LUCC as if it could be a general defense method... it appears to me that 12026.2 would provide no protection against 12025 for on foot LUCC in the absence of traveling directly between specific locations. ( http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12026.2.html )

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
In two seconds from your locked carry holster? Be pretty useless in my eyes as a self defense weapon if you can't make ready....fumbling with the combo lock in the dark ...you guys are killing me lol

No one is making any claim that this is effective self defense. I hate this only slightly more than concealed carry and you can only imagine my response (assuming i survive) a life threatening altercation.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
So the real answer is to have......

No one is making any claim that this is effective self defense. I hate this only slightly more than concealed carry and you can only imagine my response (assuming i survive) a life threatening altercation.

Loaded open carry as it's good enough for the cops and should be good enough for the citizens ......(we can only wish and dream that scenario in Kalifornia!)

hoffmang

LUCC (Locked Unloaded Concealed Carry) has always been an alternative carry method. Quite a few Californians either have a briefcase or shoulder bag for off body (that used to be me before I obtained a carry license) or are using lockable belt bags/holsters. Just make sure to lock zippers at the base and not the ends as you can often open a container with the ends of zippers locked.

-Gene

Lugiahua

Hi, I am too a new pistol owner in California and have several question regarding open carry/general carry
I already read the flyer before

I am looking for a legal way to carry my firearm and able to defend myself while driving a car.
so are the following carry methods legal?

- unloaded pistol in leg/belt holster
- unloaded pistol on the front seat
- unloaded pistol in an unlocked carrying case in the front seat
- unloaded pistol in a holster "attached" to the vehicle

if I wear a jacket/coat in the winter, will that make belt holster a "concealed" weapon?
Am I allowed to carry firearms into a national park in California? (e.g Yosemite)

and if any of you can give me some recommendation on drop-leg holster for standard XD 9mm? the holster comes with the weapon doesn't fit into my belt.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Gundude

Hi, I am too a new pistol owner in California and have several question regarding open carry/general carry
I already read the flyer before

I am looking for a legal way to carry my firearm and able to defend myself while driving a car.
so are the following carry methods legal?

- unloaded pistol in leg/belt holster
- unloaded pistol on the front seat
- unloaded pistol in an unlocked carrying case in the front seat
- unloaded pistol in a holster "attached" to the vehicle

if I wear a jacket/coat in the winter, will that make belt holster a "concealed" weapon?
Am I allowed to carry firearms into a national park in California? (e.g Yosemite)

and if any of you can give me some recommendation on drop-leg holster for standard XD 9mm? the holster comes with the weapon doesn't fit into my belt.

Thanks.

I can answer some of these question.
Read pc 626.9 regarding Gun Free School Zones
You can't UOC a handgun within 1000 ft of a K thru 12 school. You can carry in the gun free school zone using a locked container or if you have a carry license Not an unlocked container.
Driving with your weapon in an unlocked container would be concealed. Lock the container and you're good to go.
If your coat covers you weapon, thats concealed. You need a carry license for that.
Welcome to the forum.
This is not legal advice, as I am not a lawyer.

Last edited:

Lugiahua

I can answer some of these question.
Read pc 626.9 regarding Gun Free School Zones
You can't UOC a handgun within 1000 ft of a K thru 12 school. You can carry in the gun free school zone using a locked container or if you have a carry license Not an unlocked container.
Driving with your weapon in an unlocked container would be concealed. Lock the container and you're good to go.
If your coat covers you weapon, thats concealed. You need a carry license for that.
Welcome to the forum.
This is not legal advice, as I am not a lawyer.

thank you for the reply
and it does remind me for another question

Gun Free Zone applies to K-12 (high school) and below, right? so a college campus does not count as a GFZ, is it correct?

so the best solution for self defense while driving would be lockable case with quick assess? (e.g. mirco vault/nano vault from Gun vault)

Iopencarry

GRSZ the 1000' you need to keep clear of is for public and private schools.
college campus' are not included in the GFSZ law

Which part of the bay area are you from? We have weekly meet ups in Pleasant Hill,

Lugiahua

GRSZ the 1000' you need to keep clear of is for public and private schools.
college campus' are not included in the GFSZ law

Which part of the bay area are you from? We have weekly meet ups in Pleasant Hill,

I live in Orinda, that's not too far away I think.:)

Gundude

thank you for the reply
and it does remind me for another question

Gun Free Zone applies to K-12 (high school) and below, right? so a college campus does not count as a GFZ, is it correct?

so the best solution for self defense while driving would be lockable case with quick assess? (e.g. mirco vault/nano vault from Gun vault)

K thru 12 is Kindergarten through the 12th grade. Preschool (baby sitting place) and college are not a GFSZ.
I use one of these (attached file) when I travel. Available at Harbor Freight for about $15.

Last edited: