• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bainbridge police: Suspected home intruder shot by bystander

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
A very interesting turn of events....

The intruder then left the property, still in possession of the knife, and was observed by at least one neighbor before turning onto the 500 block of Wood Avenue, police say. At that point, the suspect reportedly approached a man in a car who was in possession of a handgun. Police say the man with the gun shot the suspect three times in the lower body and was holding the suspect at gunpoint when officers arrived.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle91...ce-suspected-home-intruder-shot-by-bystander/

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Sounds like a tough neighborhood for criminals to be in. Hopefully the word gets around that the citizens there defend themselves and potential criminals get the message.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
But, he only had a knife. The previous homeowner scared him off with a claw hammer. He certainly didn't need to be shot, much less shot three times. Thus the police investigation and the word alleged in front of shooter.

[/saracasm]

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
As more information trickles out, seems the Shooter is a Law Abiding Citizen that was only seconds away not minutes :eek: and was pulled over working with his GPS when approached by the yelling knife carrying idiot.
I would say it was his lucky day, that he lived as he was hit all 3 rounds fired in self defense.

King5TV
According to police, the suspect fled the home and began yelling at a man in a car, who happened to be lost and pulled over on the road to use his GPS device. The driver also happened to be armed with a gun, which police said he was legally allowed to posses.

Police said the suspect moved closed to the vehicle, and the driver fired three rounds, hitting the suspect.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
As more information trickles out, seems the Shooter is a Law Abiding Citizen that was only seconds away not minutes :eek: and was pulled over working with his GPS when approached by the yelling knife carrying idiot.
I would say it was his lucky day, that he lived as he was hit all 3 rounds fired in self defense.

King5TV

See! See! This is another reason to just use maps, and plan your route before you leave. To hell with GPS. It can get you into lethal force encounters! :D

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Officers said the man who shot the suspect will not be charged because he acted in self defense.

Having seen/been involved in 2 different carjackings, this is not a surprising outcome.

King5TV

See! See! This is another reason to just use maps, and plan your route before you leave. To hell with GPS. It can get you into lethal force encounters! :D

Ban GPS! Too many die at the hands of GPS!:monkey

hermannr

The title is a bit misleading...the guy was obviously shot in an attempted carjacking, not because of the attempted home invasion.

One shot a bit higher would probably have been sufficent.

Oh God, do I love where I live....

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

But, he only had a knife. The previous homeowner scared him off with a claw hammer. He certainly didn't need to be shot, much less shot three times. Thus the police investigation and the word alleged in front of shooter.
[/saracasm]

Howdy Citizen!
Just goes to prove the old adage: "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight!"

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

Having seen/been involved in 2 different carjackings, this is not a surprising outcome.

Ban GPS! Too many die at the hands of GPS!:monkey

Howdy Gogodawgs!
Take away my GPS? Only when they can rip it from my cold, dead hands.
Which won't be easy, because I'm armed when driving!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

OrangeIsTrouble

Do we know that the "shooter" wasn't Open Carrying? He certainly was at the point he shot the person.
This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.
Ahem, ahem. :) We do not know the shooters method of "carry", only that the weapon was fired 3 times. You cannot assume and use the unknown as a valid reason.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Howdy Gogodawgs!
Take away my GPS? Only when they can rip it from my cold, dead hands.
Which won't be easy, because I'm armed when driving!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Ummm...if it gets to that point, they'll just shut off the satellites, or degrade the signals.

You'll be back to map-reading so fast, your compass needle will blur.

amlevin

Ummm...if it gets to that point, they'll just shut off the satellites, or degrade the signals.

You'll be back to map-reading so fast, your compass needle will blur.

Assuming that those who have become GPS dependent even have a compass, know how to use one if they did, or for that matter the same for maps.

Soon after all the batteries go dead, the bugs take over.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
That is a confession? :p:)

LOL, nope. Nearly 20 years ago, I chased a shoplifter out of my store across a parking lot and caught him. He wiggled out of his jacket and pulled a knife on me. I backed away and he ran to the intersection and carjacked a car. He was caught the next day...trying to shoplift from another store.

A few years ago, a bum, approached my car for money at a highway off ramp. I declined and he got belligerent while trying to get into my car. I pulled out my car gun from the console and laid it on my lap. He decided he had better things to do....