• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carried Concealed....Decided to OC as much as feasable....It's tooo F N hot!!!

Phxbluesman

I have been comfortably CCing for about a year. I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a horse hide Crossbreed holster with 511 belt. I carry ALL the time, even at the gym. After coming across stories and videos about the draconian laws some OCers in other states deal with and thanking my lucky stars I live in AZ I decided WTF...I popped in Shooters World, picked a Fobius OWB paddle holster and swapped out the CB holster. Now with the OWB holster I could lose the wife beaters I wear under my cover shirts., that coupled with the fact the chunk of horse hyde inside my pants/shorts was gone made for a much much cooler carry.

It has only been few days since I started but so far it seems most people dont even notice. The few that I think have notice it seemed to a non issue. I imagine at some point I may ecounter comment or looks but I really don't care I figure I carry for my safety and comfort not for anybody elses. The comfort of knowing I can protect myself and now the comfort of being comfortable. I considered the pro and cons of OC vs CC and decided I am OCing as my first option and CCing as my second.

IMHO If the guy in this situation was OCing Bruh would have asked someone else for a "ride" http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53502

azcdlfred

It has only been few days since I started but so far it seems most people dont even notice.
Human beings can't see what they aren't looking for. Everything you see is immediately shuttled into your subconsconcious mind unless it perceived as a threat or you have programmed yourself to look for it (that's also how people program themselves to become successful).

A typcial gun worn on the belt by a person to who does not look threatening and doesn't draw attention to themselves by their movements (don't touch your gun!) becomes invisible to the Rubes. They literally don't see it unless you bring it to their attention. It works best for us older folks. I'm a white haired old man and very few people are aware of Glock's largest .45 cal pistol I wear on my belt.

Fred

Last edited:

Super Saiyan

Human beings can't see what they aren't looking for. Everything you see is immediately shuttled into your subconsconcious mind unless it perceived as a threat or you have programmed yourself to look for it (that's also how people program themselves to become successful).

A typcial gun worn on the belt by a person to who does not look threatening and doesn't draw attention to themselves by their movements (don't touch your gun!) becomes invisible to the Rubes. They literally don't see it unless you bring it to their attention. It works best for us older folks. I'm a white haired old man and very few people are aware of Glock's largest .45 cal pistol I wear on my belt.

Fred

I <3 the G21 too.

Sonora Rebel

Arizona is not 'other states'. We carry weapons. We have never been denied that right in the history of the state with the exception of the short disasterous tenure of the Earps in Tombstone... in territorial days. That didn't work out too well either.

Dunno where you are from originally... but most people have to get over their self conciousness in open carrying. OC is not only practical, it's an obvious deterrent. Unlike CC where you look like the rest of the sheep. Just do it. Don't worry 'bout what you think somebody might think... or say. Just do it. If they can't or won't take steps to defend themselves... that's their issue.

AZkopper

Arizona is not 'other states'. We carry weapons. We have never been denied that right in the history of the state with the exception of the short disasterous tenure of the Earps in Tombstone... in territorial days. That didn't work out too well either.

Dunno where you are from originally... but most people have to get over their self conciousness in open carrying. OC is not only practical, it's an obvious deterrent. Unlike CC where you look like the rest of the sheep. Just do it. Don't worry 'bout what you think somebody might think... or say. Just do it. If they can't or won't take steps to defend themselves... that's their issue.

+1000.

You have no idea how much OC is a non-issue here.

Phxbluesman

6 generations in AZ

Born and raised in AZ. My family was here before AZ was even a state! I have known since I was a kid that OC was legal in AZ. Took my first NRA course in cub scouts and have shot pitsols and 12 ga here and ther over the years but was never a gun owner up until the past year. I got over that "people are watching me" thing pretty quickly CCing and and I am sure likewise with OCing. Thanks for the words of encouragement, I am the only one in my circle of friends that carries so it nice to hear from other people who carry.

Just like muscles and memory, civil rights need to be exercised or you lose em!!

Last edited:

Thoreau

Born and raised in AZ. My family was here before AZ was even a state! I have known since I was a kid that OC was legal in AZ. Took my first NRA course in cub scouts and have shot pitsols and 12 ga here and ther over the years but was never a gun owner up until the past year. I got over that "people are watching me" thing pretty quickly CCing and and I am sure likewise with OCing. Thanks for the words of encouragement, I am the only one in my circle of friends that carries so it nice to hear from other people who carry.

Just like muscles and memory, civil rights need to be exercised or you lose em!!

I still get that 'feeling' of being watched when CCing, but that's mainly because I do a half-assed job of it most of the time. Even a P2000 in a Safariland ALS paddle rig sticks out enough to be noticeable, and my shirt is usually barely long enough to cover the muzzle. That said, it does a good enough job for my needs =)

I do prefer OC too of course. And to her credit an ex-friend who was WAY too liberal for me to continue associating with her, even she got used to and accepted seeing me open carrying my USP. Your friends may toss the occasional jab at ya about carrying or being 'paranoid' or any of the numerous things we always hear about, but if they're like the people I associate with, it's almost always in good fun, and it tends to die off after time.

For those that don't like it no matter what, who cares? =)

Just an FYI, Sonoran, my beloved hometown of Ash Fork was once a "carry restricted" town in the very early days of it's existence. Fortunately, that didn't last long. I can't remember off hand, but I *THINK* some of the other early railroad towns up here in N. Az had restrictions for a short while also.

Fisherman

I still get that 'feeling' of being watched when CCing, but that's mainly because I do a half-assed job of it most of the time. Even a P2000 in a Safariland ALS paddle rig sticks out enough to be noticeable, and my shirt is usually barely long enough to cover the muzzle. That said, it does a good enough job for my needs =)

I do prefer OC too of course. And to her credit an ex-friend who was WAY too liberal for me to continue associating with her, even she got used to and accepted seeing me open carrying my USP. Your friends may toss the occasional jab at ya about carrying or being 'paranoid' or any of the numerous things we always hear about, but if they're like the people I associate with, it's almost always in good fun, and it tends to die off after time.

For those that don't like it no matter what, who cares? =)

Howdy Thoreau,

Don't worry about that shirt being long enough to cover it up. Tuck your shirt in and let it hang out there for the folks to see. Let the criminals see it too so they don't get any ideas.

It's here in Texas that we have to hide them like criminals and we have to ask permission to do that! Ain't that somethin'?

Phxbluesman

Guy at Home Depot

Was at Home Depot today and the guy in the garden area noticed me OCing my Kimber and can you believe the gall of this guy??? He said "nice!".... LOL Mentioned he carries a Sig and we talked OC/CC a bit. Very nice first encounter for me.

vermonter

I agree with Sonora Rebel. Arizona is a state where it is acceptable to OC. So is NM, WY, MT, UT, and ID. I would be comfortable doing so in any of those states. In states like PA it is not the norm and will get stares and comments. It will even get "no gun" signs up ruining it for people who get CCW's. Enjoy the Freedom in AZ! In my state of VT we only carry afield, not in cities like Burlington. You need a jacket here 9 Mos out of the year anyhow....

Sonora Rebel

I agree with Sonora Rebel. Arizona is a state where it is acceptable to OC. So is NM, WY, MT, UT, and ID. I would be comfortable doing so in any of those states. In states like PA it is not the norm and will get stares and comments. It will even get "no gun" signs up ruining it for people who get CCW's. Enjoy the Freedom in AZ! In my state of VT we only carry afield, not in cities like Burlington. You need a jacket here 9 Mos out of the year anyhow....

I was gonna say somethin here about... What? No bad guys in Burlington? But, I won't. I don't care anymore what anybody does outside of AZ/NM. I don't intend to visit... or have much else to do with 'em. 'Doesn't matter what I think about what goes on in those areas anyway. Just don't bring those attitudes to Arizona.

George Mann

Boulder and Denver are enemy-occupied cesspools. No-go zones for us sane Coloradans if you will, much like the corrupt towns in Arizona that are illegally trying to ban free speech.

The fact is, the rest of Colorado has less restrictions on OC, as well as pistols in personal motor vehicles than your Arizona!