• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detained in the city of lapeer.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
i HOPE you got badge numbers...if he wants to file federal GFSZ charges on you, good luck...

autosurgeon

Now you will find out which way the wind blows with your prosecutor. I would not be confident this is over and I would say no more about this for the time being. DO NOT post any audio or video if you have it save that for your attorney if you need one. Once you are sure it has blown over in your favor then post away!

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
As a side note:

This is a very good reason to refuse ID. So that they can't come back to you at a later date.

lapeer20m, my post is not directed at you but rather to those that can't "understand" why someone wouldn't just freely give up ID.

Can't wait to hear the audio.

Orion

Are there more details about your situation? Why were you detained?

I'm sure that there are more details, and that the OP will post them when the time is right. As other's stated though, best not to post anything until advised to do so by your attorney. Anything in the public domain can be used against you, and one wrong word, no matter how correct or justified, can turn legal sentimant against you. Best to let your lawyer do the talking for you until told otherwise. GL to you.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Because he was OC'ing...DUH!

I got that much, thanks. I was more curious about the situation that led to the detainment. As the OP has responded that he will post more details later, I will wait patiently with the rest of the crowd.

aadvark

lapeer20m:

If You had a Valid Michigan Concealed Pistol License at The time of The Stop, then, You are Exempt from Federal Law 18U.S.C. 922(q)(2)(B)(ii).

All of The other Charges You said that The Officer Citied, are Bogus.

aadvark

Last edited:

lapeer20m

update:

Received the foia request today from the Police Department.

Lapeer City Police are perhaps the most professional and respectful department i have dealt with when it comes to FOIA. Even the officer i dealt with was polite and respectful during the encounter. This is really more of an education issue. It is however difficult for me to understand how you can be a police officer in this day and age and completely clueless about open carry.

After reading the police report, which by the way was very well written, i am much more confident that there will be no charges filed. He is requesting the prosecutor forward the information to the feds to have federal gfsz charges filed against me. I am certain that the prosecutor would not take this and run with it as he would end up with egg on his face.

Next step will be contacting the Chief in an effort to educate the officers on the issue of open carry.

Still waiting for foia from cental dispatch. This one will include any radio traffic, as well as any phone calls if there are any. Lapeer Central Dispatch in the past has always done same-day or next day requests for me. My guess is that the foia coordinator is on vacation. I am certian they will comply in a timely manner. I also do not think there is much useful data in their possession. My guess is that there is just a couple of radio transmissions, and my name getting run through lien.

I am also impressed with the use of the term "CPL" in the report, rather than "ccw"

Last edited:

lapeer20m

lapeer+detained+report+edited.jpg

lapeer+detained+report+edited+2.jpg

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Complainant was a CHP holder as well supposedly but she won't carry at "that kind of event." I call that choosing to be a victim.

DocWalker

Good thing bad guys never target places like schools, hospitals, and other places guns are not allowed. Something bad could happen if a criminal doesn't obey a posted no carry sign. I worked in a hospital that a gunman killed and wonded over 20 people. He wasn't allowed to have a gun in the hospital, and it was on federal property also. Two reasons he shouldn't have had a weapon but he did and killed friends, an 8 year old, a pregnant lady, and others. He didn't seem to care it was a no firearm allowed area. As for schools don't tell VT or colombine that guns are not allowed, more people are dead due to the policy of no firearms on school grounds. But as long as people think they are safe the bad guys will pick easy targets with people that can't defend themselves.

"when seconds count, help is only minutes away"

FS23

As a side note:

This is a very good reason to refuse ID. So that they can't come back to you at a later date.

lapeer20m, my post is not directed at you but rather to those that can't "understand" why someone wouldn't just freely give up ID.

Can't wait to hear the audio.

In this case he would have been required to show ID since he was OC in a PFZ ??