Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Firearm fantasies not likely to end well...

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348

    Firearm fantasies not likely to end well...

    http://host.madison.com/ct/news/opin...546bb0770.html

    Bill Berry: Firearm fantasies not likely to end well


    BILL BERRY | state columnist madison.com | (25) Comments | Posted: Monday, July 4, 2011 7:00 am

    Bill Berry is a self-employed writer and editor who contributes to state and national publications. His Capital Times columns cover an array of topics, but he specializes in conservation, agriculture and sustainable land use.
    Bill Berry Email
    More from this section


    STEVENS POINT – Any day now, after the governor signs the bill, Wisconsin will be a concealed carry state, which makes a lot of people feel so much safer.

    Most of the rest of the country is already safe because 48 other states allow people to pack guns — including Pennsylvania, where 32 people were shot on a recent violent weekend in Philadelphia.

    Anyway, I’m going to go right out and get myself a permit to carry my 12-gauge shotgun beneath my coat as soon as I find a coat big enough to hide it because, let’s face it, a 12-gauge is a lot more accurate than a punky little pistol.

    Wisconsin Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald crowed that the new law is a great victory for the people of Wisconsin and the Second Amendment. He may be an expert on these matters, since his daddy heads up the State Patrol. I wonder what the state troopers who actually work the highways and byways think about it. Folks who make their living in law enforcement generally decry gun violence and call for tougher gun laws. But pay no attention to them. They only make a living dealing with violence.

    Excerpt ...

    Read more: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/opin...#ixzz1RFOQ5lMW
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran rcawdor57's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,643

    Lightbulb I'm Still Laughing! What A Joke This Article Is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    http://host.madison.com/ct/news/opin...546bb0770.html

    Bill Berry: Firearm fantasies not likely to end well


    BILL BERRY | state columnist madison.com | (25) Comments | Posted: Monday, July 4, 2011 7:00 am

    Bill Berry is a self-employed writer and editor who contributes to state and national publications. His Capital Times columns cover an array of topics, but he specializes in conservation, agriculture and sustainable land use.
    Bill Berry Email
    More from this section


    STEVENS POINT – Any day now, after the governor signs the bill, Wisconsin will be a concealed carry state, which makes a lot of people feel so much safer.

    Most of the rest of the country is already safe because 48 other states allow people to pack guns — including Pennsylvania, where 32 people were shot on a recent violent weekend in Philadelphia.

    Anyway, I’m going to go right out and get myself a permit to carry my 12-gauge shotgun beneath my coat as soon as I find a coat big enough to hide it because, let’s face it, a 12-gauge is a lot more accurate than a punky little pistol.

    Wisconsin Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald crowed that the new law is a great victory for the people of Wisconsin and the Second Amendment. He may be an expert on these matters, since his daddy heads up the State Patrol. I wonder what the state troopers who actually work the highways and byways think about it. Folks who make their living in law enforcement generally decry gun violence and call for tougher gun laws. But pay no attention to them. They only make a living dealing with violence.

    Excerpt ...

    Read more: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/opin...#ixzz1RFOQ5lMW
    And the Sheeple will go forth and multiply.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

    “Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

    —John F. Kennedy

  3. #3
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    http://host.madison.com/ct/news/opin...546bb0770.html

    Bill Berry: Firearm fantasies not likely to end well


    BILL BERRY | state columnist madison.com | (25) Comments | Posted: Monday, July 4, 2011 7:00 am

    Bill Berry is a self-employed writer and editor who contributes to state and national publications. His Capital Times columns cover an array of topics, but he specializes in conservation, agriculture and sustainable land use.
    Bill Berry Email
    More from this section


    STEVENS POINT – Any day now, after the governor signs the bill, Wisconsin will be a concealed carry state, which makes a lot of people feel so much safer.

    Most of the rest of the country is already safe because 48 other states allow people to pack guns — including Pennsylvania, where 32 people were shot on a recent violent weekend in Philadelphia.

    Anyway, I’m going to go right out and get myself a permit to carry my 12-gauge shotgun beneath my coat as soon as I find a coat big enough to hide it because, let’s face it, a 12-gauge is a lot more accurate than a punky little pistol.

    Wisconsin Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald crowed that the new law is a great victory for the people of Wisconsin and the Second Amendment. He may be an expert on these matters, since his daddy heads up the State Patrol. I wonder what the state troopers who actually work the highways and byways think about it. Folks who make their living in law enforcement generally decry gun violence and call for tougher gun laws. But pay no attention to them. They only make a living dealing with violence.

    Excerpt ...

    Read more: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/opin...#ixzz1RFOQ5lMW
    I think Mr. Berry's father had an accidental discharge the night Billy-boy was concieved...


    Attachment 6193
    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

  4. #4
    Regular Member GlockRDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    north of the Peoples Republic of Madison
    Posts
    626
    This simpleton is merely catering to the mindless anti-gun crowd that still reads the CapTimes...

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,318
    Like "highly trained" police? Most police do not get a ton of training. Most do the bare minimum.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  6. #6
    Regular Member LR Yote 312's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    God's Country, Wi
    Posts
    458
    Proof positive the gene pool needs more bleach.

    LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.


    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

  7. #7
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    Ridley wrote: “Life would be a whole lot simpler if our omniscient Founding Fathers had left us a Constitution replete with footnotes, references and Cliffs Notes so it would be clear to all concerned how to correlate the intent of their 1776 utterances with the realities of 2011. They didn’t, so we are left to speculate.”
    Someone should point out to him the Articles of Confederation and the Federalist Papers. There is no need to speculate anything about the Constitution, it is all explained EXACTLY what our founding fathers meant.

  8. #8
    Regular Member M-Taliesin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    1,504
    Howdy Folks!
    Not to advocate for Mr. Berry, but I can somewhat relate to his perspective. After all, with crime rates dropping, and never having been victimized by crime, I never felt a need for a gun either. Until the miniscule likelihood of being confronted by an armed criminal arrived. Man steps from the darkness, points a pistol at my head and demands my money. In spiritual circles, this is known as a moment of transformation. In modern parlance, it was my "Come to Jesus" moment.

    Now I carry a pistol at all times. Sure. I never needed a gun before. That only ensured I didn't have it when I did need one. At least twice, the gunman took his eyes off me and I could have turned the situation around. If I maybe had the means of self defense. Which I didn't.

    Not to beat on an old saw, I have a fire extinguisher in my home. Chances of a fire are miniscule. That never kept me from having one in the house. Most folks would consider it foolish for a homeowner to live without a fire extinguisher. And I, through bitter experience, carry a handgun for that miniscule chance that I might again be confronted with a clear and present threat to my own life.

    I suppose such rational thinking would be lost on Mr. Berry. Maybe one day he'll find himself in a similar situation as I did when that gunman pointed a weapon in my face. Maybe he too will have a transformational moment.

    Then again, he'd probably miss the mark again and call for tighter gun control.

    What Mr. Berry fails to recognize is that those who commit crimes don't care whether a concealed carry permit exists. His rant only targets lawfully armed citizens in hopes they can be rendered unable to defend themselves.

    In summary, Mr. Berry is probably a sincere and well intentioned individual.
    That doesn't mean he isn't a twit!

    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,318
    Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    Someone should point out to him the Articles of Confederation and the Federalist Papers. There is no need to speculate anything about the Constitution, it is all explained EXACTLY what our founding fathers meant.
    Not to mention, right in the Second Amendment is has those "pesky" for words, "shall not be infringed." I guess they didn't know what they were implying about right?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  10. #10
    Regular Member HandyHamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Terra, Sol
    Posts
    2,779
    I love the comments. With Mr. Huffman's right out-o-the gate.

    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 07-05-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

    "Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

  11. #11
    Regular Member RR_Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Howdy Folks!
    Not to advocate for Mr. Berry, but I can somewhat relate to his perspective. After all, with crime rates dropping, and never having been victimized by crime, I never felt a need for a gun either. Until the miniscule likelihood of being confronted by an armed criminal arrived. Man steps from the darkness, points a pistol at my head and demands my money. In spiritual circles, this is known as a moment of transformation. In modern parlance, it was my "Come to Jesus" moment.

    Now I carry a pistol at all times. Sure. I never needed a gun before. That only ensured I didn't have it when I did need one. At least twice, the gunman took his eyes off me and I could have turned the situation around. If I maybe had the means of self defense. Which I didn't.

    Not to beat on an old saw, I have a fire extinguisher in my home. Chances of a fire are miniscule. That never kept me from having one in the house. Most folks would consider it foolish for a homeowner to live without a fire extinguisher. And I, through bitter experience, carry a handgun for that miniscule chance that I might again be confronted with a clear and present threat to my own life.

    I suppose such rational thinking would be lost on Mr. Berry. Maybe one day he'll find himself in a similar situation as I did when that gunman pointed a weapon in my face. Maybe he too will have a transformational moment.

    Then again, he'd probably miss the mark again and call for tighter gun control.

    What Mr. Berry fails to recognize is that those who commit crimes don't care whether a concealed carry permit exists. His rant only targets lawfully armed citizens in hopes they can be rendered unable to defend themselves.

    In summary, Mr. Berry is probably a sincere and well intentioned individual.
    That doesn't mean he isn't a twit!

    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    There's a fine line between being pre-moment of transformation and being a sanctimonious *********. Mr. Barry is far on the other side of it already.

    If he's lucky, Mr. Barry will live through his transformative moment. Many innocents do not get that chance. His blathering, may keep a few of them of getting through it before their event.

    He should be hated, not pitied, for that reason alone.
    "I can only be held responsible for my own stupidity." - Captain Nemo

  12. #12
    Regular Member wild boar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    445

    He was willing to kill, and you weren't ready to die.

    Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Howdy Folks!

    Now I carry a pistol at all times. Sure. I never needed a gun before. That only ensured I didn't have it when I did need one. At least twice, the gunman took his eyes off me and I could have turned the situation around. If I maybe had the means of self defense. Which I didn't.
    !

    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Sir; If the gun were at your head you would not have had the chance to protect your self with a weapon. Your uncertainty in the situation would have left you bleeding. When He looked away, at this close range, and with the proper training, grabbing the weapon, pushing up, to the side, and into the man with enough force to gain control, taking him down then dispatch with extreme prejudice would be a good choice. If this was not an option, give him the money.
    Last edited by wild boar; 07-05-2011 at 08:05 PM.
    The purpose of fighting is to win,
    there is no victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield,
    and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain,
    all else is supplemental.

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,318
    Quote Originally Posted by wild boar View Post
    Sir; If the gun were at your head you would not have had the chance to protect your self with a weapon. Your uncertainty in the situation would have left you bleeding. He looked away twice, at this close range, with the proper training, grabbing the weapon, pushing up, to the side, and into the man with enough force to gain control. Take him down then dispatch him with extreme prejudice. If this was not an option, give him the money.
    People who are not trained to do this don't think in those ways. They think doing as the criminal says will save them.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818

    I have a firearms fantasy......



    And that's a tame one....
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  15. #15
    Regular Member DangerClose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The mean streets of WI
    Posts
    570
    Always nice to see an article like that have 90% of the comments saying how absurd the article is.

  16. #16
    Regular Member CalicoJack10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Arbor Vitae
    Posts
    559
    He notes that even highly trained professionals “find events can go tragically awry in the stress of drawing a weapon with genuine deadly intent.” People in law enforcement know all too well that guns go off accidentally all the time.
    Funny that after all that time ranting about how police should be the ones that carry firearms, he makes this comment. As someone who trains LEO's all frequently (not to mention that I got into this game on the civilian side because of an accidental shooting of a 7 year old little girl by a cop), I can tell you from experience that LEO's in general (not all, in case we have a whiner in the bunch) allow their firearms skills to perish to the point where they can easily be a danger to those that they are supposed to "Protect and Serve".

    This whole article was just another prime example of un-educated propaganda by some idiot who thinks that Americans should live by his rules, and not live with the FREEDOM that so many of us have fought for. In response to morons like this I will be making shirts that say:

    "In the event that you don't agree with my right to carry a firearm, if your life is ever in danger and I am present, I will gladly refrain from defending you!"

    It is people like the man who wrote this article, and the man who he quoted that are the prime example of what is wrong with this world. We started making things safer for stupid people. Darwin is rolling over in his grave on this one.
    Last edited by CalicoJack10; 07-05-2011 at 07:10 PM.
    I am Calico Jack,,,, And I approve this message!
    (Paid for by the blood of patriots, and Calico Jack Defense)
    Calico Jack Defense

  17. #17
    Regular Member wild boar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    445

    protias:

    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    People who are not trained to do this don't think in those ways. They think doing as the criminal says will save them.
    I believe your redundant statement was clearly covered in my post. But, I thank you for clearing that up for others. boar out.
    The purpose of fighting is to win,
    there is no victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield,
    and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain,
    all else is supplemental.

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543
    People like the author of this article are out of touch with reality. Is has been shown over and over again that more legal gun owners=less crime. I live in VA (great gun rights) which enjoys fairly low crime rates. Across the river is the District of Columbia (no gun rights) which I do not travel to unless absolutely necessary due to their exceptionally high crime rate. Gun control doesn't do anything.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348
    I emailed the idiot this....


    You made it very clear to tens of thousands of people that your not the brightest light bulb in the room with your off the wall DUMB liberal anti gun comments.

    Next time you write an article that get's published , you might want to get your fact's straight before making really ignorant comments & biased statements regarding carrying a Shotgun concealed which would be against the law.. here ...

    http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lc/public.../IM2011_10.pdf

    http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lc/public.../IM2011_10.pdf

    ... ARE THE SPECIFICS of the new law.. if you don't want the world to know your as sharp as the cutting edge of a bowling ball you might want to read what I linked here before writing your next IGNORANT article on Concealed carry.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  20. #20
    Regular Member jpm84092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by CalicoJack10 View Post
    I can tell you from experience that LEO's in general (not all, in case we have a whiner in the bunch) allow their firearms skills to perish to the point where they can easily be a danger to those that they are supposed to "Protect and Serve".
    As a personal defense instructor and firearms instructor, let me echo the comments of Mr. Calico Jack. More than one of my current students is a Law Enforcement Officer and frankly, before their egos yielded to their intelligence, I would not have wanted them "on my six".

    It is my experience from my visits back to Wisconsin that many of my WI students support the concept of voluntary training and do so because they are responsible and want to be well trained. (Example: MKEGAL) Thus, I strongly encourage my friends in WI to get training that goes well beyond the requirements of Wisconsin Senate Bill 93 (as amended) from competent and well credentialed instructors (such as Mr. Calico Jack). I am going to return to WI to offer training to those who need it. I will keep this forum informed as I arrange to get time off from my full time job.
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

  21. #21
    Regular Member jpm84092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by brass magnet View Post


    and that's a tame one....
    me too!
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

  22. #22
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Maassen View Post
    They simply arrested the guy, confiscated his weapon, recorded the serial number of mine, and then gave me a ride home.
    Hope you understand, every time they do that, it is counted as a 'crime gun'. So.... if, for example, you bought it from Badger Guns, that counted against them when the MPD keeps saying that they sell the most 'crime guns'.

    Don't let them look at your gun.

  23. #23
    Regular Member oak1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    That article is a waste of bandwidth. Lefitist moron has no facts or experience and resorts to the favorite tools of idiot lefites everywhere...fear and exaggeration.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

  24. #24
    Regular Member oak1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by wild boar View Post
    I believe your redundant statement was clearly covered in my post. But, I thank you for clearing that up for others. boar out.
    Pointing out that redundant statement was it self an exercise in redundancy.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

  25. #25
    McX
    Guest
    unless there are cheeseburgers involved, i'm not covering anyone's 6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •