• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearm fantasies not likely to end well...

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
http://host.madison.com/ct/news/opi...cle_ff533972-33d3-5fb5-b5af-5d8546bb0770.html

Bill Berry: Firearm fantasies not likely to end well

BILL BERRY | state columnist madison.com | (25) Comments | Posted: Monday, July 4, 2011 7:00 am

Bill Berry is a self-employed writer and editor who contributes to state and national publications. His Capital Times columns cover an array of topics, but he specializes in conservation, agriculture and sustainable land use.
Bill Berry Email
More from this section

STEVENS POINT – Any day now, after the governor signs the bill, Wisconsin will be a concealed carry state, which makes a lot of people feel so much safer.

Most of the rest of the country is already safe because 48 other states allow people to pack guns — including Pennsylvania, where 32 people were shot on a recent violent weekend in Philadelphia.

Anyway, I’m going to go right out and get myself a permit to carry my 12-gauge shotgun beneath my coat as soon as I find a coat big enough to hide it because, let’s face it, a 12-gauge is a lot more accurate than a punky little pistol.

Wisconsin Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald crowed that the new law is a great victory for the people of Wisconsin and the Second Amendment. He may be an expert on these matters, since his daddy heads up the State Patrol. I wonder what the state troopers who actually work the highways and byways think about it. Folks who make their living in law enforcement generally decry gun violence and call for tougher gun laws. But pay no attention to them. They only make a living dealing with violence.

Excerpt ...

Read more: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/opi...3d3-5fb5-b5af-5d8546bb0770.html#ixzz1RFOQ5lMW

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I'm Still Laughing! What A Joke This Article Is.

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/opi...cle_ff533972-33d3-5fb5-b5af-5d8546bb0770.html

BILL BERRY | state columnist madison.com | (25) Comments | Posted: Monday, July 4, 2011 7:00 am

Bill Berry is a self-employed writer and editor who contributes to state and national publications. His Capital Times columns cover an array of topics, but he specializes in conservation, agriculture and sustainable land use.
Bill Berry Email
More from this section

STEVENS POINT – Any day now, after the governor signs the bill, Wisconsin will be a concealed carry state, which makes a lot of people feel so much safer.

Most of the rest of the country is already safe because 48 other states allow people to pack guns — including Pennsylvania, where 32 people were shot on a recent violent weekend in Philadelphia.

Anyway, I’m going to go right out and get myself a permit to carry my 12-gauge shotgun beneath my coat as soon as I find a coat big enough to hide it because, let’s face it, a 12-gauge is a lot more accurate than a punky little pistol.

Wisconsin Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald crowed that the new law is a great victory for the people of Wisconsin and the Second Amendment. He may be an expert on these matters, since his daddy heads up the State Patrol. I wonder what the state troopers who actually work the highways and byways think about it. Folks who make their living in law enforcement generally decry gun violence and call for tougher gun laws. But pay no attention to them. They only make a living dealing with violence.

Excerpt ...

Read more: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/opi...3d3-5fb5-b5af-5d8546bb0770.html#ixzz1RFOQ5lMW

And the Sheeple will go forth and multiply.

Lurchiron

Bill Berry Email
More from this section

Excerpt ...

I think Mr. Berry's father had an accidental discharge:lol: the night Billy-boy was concieved...

View attachment 6193

protias

Like "highly trained" police? Most police do not get a ton of training. Most do the bare minimum.

VW_Factor

Ridley wrote: “Life would be a whole lot simpler if our omniscient Founding Fathers had left us a Constitution replete with footnotes, references and Cliffs Notes so it would be clear to all concerned how to correlate the intent of their 1776 utterances with the realities of 2011. They didn’t, so we are left to speculate.”

Someone should point out to him the Articles of Confederation and the Federalist Papers. There is no need to speculate anything about the Constitution, it is all explained EXACTLY what our founding fathers meant.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Not to advocate for Mr. Berry, but I can somewhat relate to his perspective. After all, with crime rates dropping, and never having been victimized by crime, I never felt a need for a gun either. Until the miniscule likelihood of being confronted by an armed criminal arrived. Man steps from the darkness, points a pistol at my head and demands my money. In spiritual circles, this is known as a moment of transformation. In modern parlance, it was my "Come to Jesus" moment.

Now I carry a pistol at all times. Sure. I never needed a gun before. That only ensured I didn't have it when I did need one. At least twice, the gunman took his eyes off me and I could have turned the situation around. If I maybe had the means of self defense. Which I didn't.

Not to beat on an old saw, I have a fire extinguisher in my home. Chances of a fire are miniscule. That never kept me from having one in the house. Most folks would consider it foolish for a homeowner to live without a fire extinguisher. And I, through bitter experience, carry a handgun for that miniscule chance that I might again be confronted with a clear and present threat to my own life.

I suppose such rational thinking would be lost on Mr. Berry. Maybe one day he'll find himself in a similar situation as I did when that gunman pointed a weapon in my face. Maybe he too will have a transformational moment.

Then again, he'd probably miss the mark again and call for tighter gun control.

What Mr. Berry fails to recognize is that those who commit crimes don't care whether a concealed carry permit exists. His rant only targets lawfully armed citizens in hopes they can be rendered unable to defend themselves.

In summary, Mr. Berry is probably a sincere and well intentioned individual.
That doesn't mean he isn't a twit!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

protias

Someone should point out to him the Articles of Confederation and the Federalist Papers. There is no need to speculate anything about the Constitution, it is all explained EXACTLY what our founding fathers meant.
Not to mention, right in the Second Amendment is has those "pesky" for words, "shall not be infringed." I guess they didn't know what they were implying about right?

RR_Broccoli

Howdy Folks!
Not to advocate for Mr. Berry, but I can somewhat relate to his perspective. After all, with crime rates dropping, and never having been victimized by crime, I never felt a need for a gun either. Until the miniscule likelihood of being confronted by an armed criminal arrived. Man steps from the darkness, points a pistol at my head and demands my money. In spiritual circles, this is known as a moment of transformation. In modern parlance, it was my "Come to Jesus" moment.

Now I carry a pistol at all times. Sure. I never needed a gun before. That only ensured I didn't have it when I did need one. At least twice, the gunman took his eyes off me and I could have turned the situation around. If I maybe had the means of self defense. Which I didn't.

Not to beat on an old saw, I have a fire extinguisher in my home. Chances of a fire are miniscule. That never kept me from having one in the house. Most folks would consider it foolish for a homeowner to live without a fire extinguisher. And I, through bitter experience, carry a handgun for that miniscule chance that I might again be confronted with a clear and present threat to my own life.

I suppose such rational thinking would be lost on Mr. Berry. Maybe one day he'll find himself in a similar situation as I did when that gunman pointed a weapon in my face. Maybe he too will have a transformational moment.

Then again, he'd probably miss the mark again and call for tighter gun control.

What Mr. Berry fails to recognize is that those who commit crimes don't care whether a concealed carry permit exists. His rant only targets lawfully armed citizens in hopes they can be rendered unable to defend themselves.

In summary, Mr. Berry is probably a sincere and well intentioned individual.
That doesn't mean he isn't a twit!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

There's a fine line between being pre-moment of transformation and being a sanctimonious douchebag. Mr. Barry is far on the other side of it already.

If he's lucky, Mr. Barry will live through his transformative moment. Many innocents do not get that chance. His blathering, may keep a few of them of getting through it before their event.

He should be hated, not pitied, for that reason alone.

wild boar

He was willing to kill, and you weren't ready to die.

Howdy Folks!

!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Sir; If the gun were at your head you would not have had the chance to protect your self with a weapon. Your uncertainty in the situation would have left you bleeding. When He looked away, at this close range, and with the proper training, grabbing the weapon, pushing up, to the side, and into the man with enough force to gain control, taking him down then dispatch with extreme prejudice would be a good choice. If this was not an option, give him the money.

Last edited:

protias

Sir; If the gun were at your head you would not have had the chance to protect your self with a weapon. Your uncertainty in the situation would have left you bleeding. He looked away twice, at this close range, with the proper training, grabbing the weapon, pushing up, to the side, and into the man with enough force to gain control. Take him down then dispatch him with extreme prejudice. If this was not an option, give him the money.
People who are not trained to do this don't think in those ways. They think doing as the criminal says will save them.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I have a firearms fantasy......

images

And that's a tame one....:p

CalicoJack10

He notes that even highly trained professionals “find events can go tragically awry in the stress of drawing a weapon with genuine deadly intent.” People in law enforcement know all too well that guns go off accidentally all the time.

Funny that after all that time ranting about how police should be the ones that carry firearms, he makes this comment. As someone who trains LEO's all frequently (not to mention that I got into this game on the civilian side because of an accidental shooting of a 7 year old little girl by a cop), I can tell you from experience that LEO's in general (not all, in case we have a whiner in the bunch) allow their firearms skills to perish to the point where they can easily be a danger to those that they are supposed to "Protect and Serve".

This whole article was just another prime example of un-educated propaganda by some idiot who thinks that Americans should live by his rules, and not live with the FREEDOM that so many of us have fought for. In response to morons like this I will be making shirts that say:

"In the event that you don't agree with my right to carry a firearm, if your life is ever in danger and I am present, I will gladly refrain from defending you!"

It is people like the man who wrote this article, and the man who he quoted that are the prime example of what is wrong with this world. We started making things safer for stupid people. Darwin is rolling over in his grave on this one.

Last edited:

wild boar

protias:

People who are not trained to do this don't think in those ways. They think doing as the criminal says will save them.

I believe your redundant statement was clearly covered in my post. But, I thank you for clearing that up for others. boar out.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
People like the author of this article are out of touch with reality. Is has been shown over and over again that more legal gun owners=less crime. I live in VA (great gun rights) which enjoys fairly low crime rates. Across the river is the District of Columbia (no gun rights) which I do not travel to unless absolutely necessary due to their exceptionally high crime rate. Gun control doesn't do anything.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I emailed the idiot this....

You made it very clear to tens of thousands of people that your not the brightest light bulb in the room with your off the wall DUMB liberal anti gun comments.

Next time you write an article that get's published , you might want to get your fact's straight before making really ignorant comments & biased statements regarding carrying a Shotgun concealed which would be against the law.. here ...

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lc/publications/im/IM2011_10.pdf

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/lc/publications/im/IM2011_10.pdf

... ARE THE SPECIFICS of the new law.. if you don't want the world to know your as sharp as the cutting edge of a bowling ball you might want to read what I linked here before writing your next IGNORANT article on Concealed carry.

jpm84092

I can tell you from experience that LEO's in general (not all, in case we have a whiner in the bunch) allow their firearms skills to perish to the point where they can easily be a danger to those that they are supposed to "Protect and Serve".

As a personal defense instructor and firearms instructor, let me echo the comments of Mr. Calico Jack. More than one of my current students is a Law Enforcement Officer and frankly, before their egos yielded to their intelligence, I would not have wanted them "on my six".

It is my experience from my visits back to Wisconsin that many of my WI students support the concept of voluntary training and do so because they are responsible and want to be well trained. (Example: MKEGAL) Thus, I strongly encourage my friends in WI to get training that goes well beyond the requirements of Wisconsin Senate Bill 93 (as amended) from competent and well credentialed instructors (such as Mr. Calico Jack). I am going to return to WI to offer training to those who need it. I will keep this forum informed as I arrange to get time off from my full time job.