Thread: Handguns outlawed in the Keys???

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Handguns outlawed in the Keys???

Heard a rumor that handguns are not allowed in the Keys? True or not? I would think this is not true. Any citations one way or another on this.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Heard a rumor that handguns are not allowed in the Keys? True or not? I would think this is not true. Any citations one way or another on this.
    NOT true, I assure you.

Fl has complete preemption.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    NOT true, I assure you.

Fl has complete preemption.
    This!
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)

Nonsense.
    Camped down there for 2 weeks a few months back. OC'd the entire time- even sometimes away from the camp. No one so much as looked twice. Cops included.

Expect the cops there and in the entrance counties to tell you crap like that tho. Possibly how the rumor got started. I've been told by LEOs multiple times that my CWP was not valid in Miami-Dade and Monroe. but only by LEOs in said counties.

If I was carrying illegally, why didn't they arrest me? Doing me a favor? Whatever...

Don't listen to the FUD. Florida has Statewide Preemption. And, it now has some teeth. Localities that violate are subject to punishment. Whether this puts deliberately false statements of LEOs into the realm of coercion is yet to be determined. Which LEO would like to become the test case? :-p
    Last edited by ixtow; 07-06-2011 at 10:57 AM.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    Expect the cops there and in the entrance counties to tell you crap like that tho. Possibly how the rumor got started. I've been told by LEOs multiple times that my CWP was not valid in Miami-Dade and Monroe. but only by LEOs in said counties.

If I was carrying illegally, why didn't they arrest me? Doing me a favor? Whatever...

Don't listen to the FUD. Florida has Statewide Preemption. And, it now has some teeth. Localities that violate are subject to punishment. Whether this puts deliberately false statements of LEOs into the realm of coercion is yet to be determined. Which LEO would like to become the test case? :-p
    If it can be proven that a LEO (or any local government entity) knowingly and willfully misrepresented the law, it can be argued in a court on the basis of denial of constitutional rights under color of law (42 USC 1983).
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich7553 View Post
    If it can be proven that a LEO (or any local government entity) knowingly and willfully misrepresented the law, it can be argued in a court on the basis of denial of constitutional rights under color of law (42 USC 1983).
    Sure, it can be argued. But can it be won?
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Absolutely not true. Try to find out who gave you that "rumor" and set them straight so they'll not continue to put out incorrect information in the future.

AD
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Thanks for the responses. Just what I thought...Preemption rules!

My brother was down in Marathon for a week about a month or so ago and heard it from some locals. I told him that I doubt it's true, but would check with you guys. I'll pass it on so he knows for next time.

Thanks again.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

heard it from some locals.
    Ah, that explains everything. :-p