• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gone for a day, now it's illegal to OC in MI?

T Mack

Just kinda skimming through some recent threads, who is the CADL?
And is it illegal to OC now or what?
I was kinda lost in reading the thread but don't sound to good? I'm OC now at the car wash think I'm gonna CC home:cuss:

Mitchell

I have been keeping up to date with CADL. I OC'd all weekend in Lewiston, except at the BBQ where I wanted to drink.

There was a 1/2 hour long line at the Ice Cream parlor and a packed Iron Kettle nothing. Just a little ribbing from the other side of the family.

New question though "what are you Hunting?" Wanted to say "Zombies" but stated protecting my family, you should too.

xd shooter

May want to skim a little deeper..:)

OC is NOT illegal in MI, CADL has apparently field suit to attempt to make OC'ing the same as brandishing, but as it IS already spelled out that carrying is legal, I don't believe they have a leg to stand on.

28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications;
applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure;
forging application; implementation during business hours.
Sec. 2. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or
transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.

A license to purchase is DIFFERENT than a CPL, and does NOT mean I can carry concealed, so it MUST mean openly carried.

Obviously, IANAL and things can and may change, but at the moment I believe this is the written law.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Yep. People were lawfuly exercising the RKBA, and an activist liberal judge has decided to legislave from the bench. Its going to appeals, and could result in the loss of OC statewide, or could result in case law, and possibly changes in legislation.

The other problem is, that people on our side, ie. gunowners, mostly CC people, are blaming the people who carried at the library for this mess. Its the library and the judge that caused the problem. Not the people who brought this pre existing problem out into the light where it could be dealt with. We should be thankful and supportive of these brave people.

Last edited:

hopnpop

Yeah, even I'm a little :eek: at the audacity of the CADL in this case. They got their way, in that OC isn't allowed there anymore, but wait - that's not enough, now trying to redefine OC as "brandishing" (state-wide, of course) :banghead: I just keep thinking they're a friggin LIBRARY.... WTH??? I've come to the conclusion that people - CADL supporters, the judge in question - need slapped the s--- out of. I don't think they'll get anywhere with the brandishing bit, but regardless - it's the principle. I'm still in awe.

I know it's been discussed, nearly to death, and as hypocritical as it may be - I, too, am a little peeved that some have insisted on long gun OC, which again, has brought **** to a head. I'm fully in support of reserving the right to long gun OC, but I don't think it should be practiced just for the sake of doing so. First the Ponderosa incident, which we kinda came out on top of, but now this - and we're getting spanked. But I digress - who am I to judge?

BTW - "legislave"? LOVE IT lol

Last edited: