• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Status of CCW legislation in Illinois?

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
While I enjoy great freedom to either open carry or conceal with a CCW permit (now pending), I grew up in Illinois and still have a house there. So I have a keen interest in the status of CCW legislation in Illinois.

I'd like to visit the old homestead in Illinois, but ain't much hankering to visit if I am not permitted to carry my firearm while there. Seems a bit odd that I can carry clear across several other states but not in my hometown! Naturally, Illinois is the only state without any carry option whatsoever, so far as I know. And I don't want to visit the state and spend money while there if I am denied my right to self defense. When travelling, in particular, I feel the need to have means of defense at my disposal.

So, if anybody can enlighten me on the state of affairs in Illinios as it stands today, I'd be much obliged for the information.

Thanks in advance,
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

jayspapa

As of now HB148 is on hold. It could be called back for a vote at any time but that isn't likely to happen. The last few votes needed just aren't there .

We had a majority with 65 yes votes but because of the preemption clause ( to get Chicago included as well as other home rule cities) , we have to have 71 yes votes. We were 6 votes shy.

PM sent to you.

M-Taliesin

As of now HB148 is on hold. It could be called back for a vote at any time but that isn't likely to happen. The last few votes needed just aren't there .

We had a majority with 65 yes votes but because of the preemption clause ( to get Chicago included as well as other home rule cities) , we have to have 71 yes votes. We were 6 votes shy.

PM sent to you.

Howdy Pard!
Thanks for the answer to my question.
Any action being taken to sway those 6 votes? Perhaps precinct meetings in those specific destricts where some of the "no" voters come from to work up public support in favor of the measure to exert pressure on their representitives to support it? Maybe work up a grass roots effort to affect those "no" votes from the bottom up efforts?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Gunslinger

Howdy Pard!
Thanks for the answer to my question.
Any action being taken to sway those 6 votes? Perhaps precinct meetings in those specific destricts where some of the "no" voters come from to work up public support in favor of the measure to exert pressure on their representitives to support it? Maybe work up a grass roots effort to affect those "no" votes from the bottom up efforts?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Forget it. They are all undoubtedly Cook County. BTW, I grew up in Chicago-land, as well. Lived most of the time in DuPage County, however, the anti-Chicago. And a CO CCW will take you all the way from here to the IL border being honored, no matter which route you choose.

Last edited: