• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hollow Points

Curmudgeon

There are no restrictions on hollow points in PA.

You may buy, possess, load, carry shoot, reload...

No restrictions. And generally a better idea than FMJ for defense, as a hedge against over penetration.

Butch00

124 gr or 147 gr or the Federal Hydra-Shok in the same weight would be good.
My first choice would be the lighter bullets. In a short barrel the 147 would probably
go deep.

Dennis Brady III

124 gr or 147 gr or the Federal Hydra-Shok in the same weight would be good.
My first choice would be the lighter bullets. In a short barrel the 147 would probably
go deep.

thanks, which one is the lighter bullets? and can you buy them in stores? so 147 for a 3.8 barrel? and what caliber? the bullets i have in now are Federal 9mm Luger is it Federal Hydra-Shok JHP?

Last edited:

jahwarrior

what do you plan on carrying them in, and what is your recoil tolerance? when i carry a 9mm, which isn't often, i generally carry 124 grain Fedral HST, Winchester Rangers, or Remington Golden Sabres. Hornady makes specialized ammo for short barreled guns.

Dennis Brady III

what do you plan on carrying them in, and what is your recoil tolerance? when i carry a 9mm, which isn't often, i generally carry 124 grain Fedral HST, Winchester Rangers, or Remington Golden Sabres. Hornady makes specialized ammo for short barreled guns.

i will be carrying them in my Springfield XDM 3.8 9mm, im not sure the recoil tolerance.

jahwarrior

i will be carrying them in my Springfield XDM 3.8 9mm, im not sure the recoil tolerance.

the 3.8 is the compact, right? i'd carry nothing lighter than 124 grain rounds; 115 grain tend to be a little snappier, which can affect accuracy, and quick sighting, especially in a compact. but then again, you might have big meaty hands, and not feel athing. try buying a bunch of different types of rounds, and see what you like shooting best; that's how i settled on 124 grain rounds.

Dennis Brady III

the 3.8 is the compact, right? i'd carry nothing lighter than 124 grain rounds; 115 grain tend to be a little snappier, which can affect accuracy, and quick sighting, especially in a compact. but then again, you might have big meaty hands, and not feel athing. try buying a bunch of different types of rounds, and see what you like shooting best; that's how i settled on 124 grain rounds.

Yea it's a compact

Sig229

Federal HST

Hydra Shocks may have been the best you could get 10 years ago, but today there are much better options.

Here's two:

1- Remington Golden Saber bonded

And

2- Winchester Ranger.

Both of the above are carried by the top Federal and State law enforcement agencies and have proven to perform the best in real world defensive shootings.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well, I don't know that who was Thomas Jefferson.
But I don't like his quotation "Let your gun ...".
Would you like to agree with me!
I think the gun must be given up if we want peace.
regards

Aaah, the voice of dissension - try some gas relief.

You may freely give up your gun and anything else which is yours to give - do not presume to reach for mine. It is not yours to give.

Coach Ike

regards

I haven't been on this site all that long, but do you get a lot of these posters? I wonder about his/her location because of his/her use of English and if he/she doesn't "know that who was Thomas Jefferson", lol.

Superlite27

regards

This reads like it was ran through a translator program of some sort. It is conceivably possible that someone of foreign decent has emmigrated to PA and has decided to practice their newfound right to self defense. In my book, the right to keep and bear arms is for everyone, regardless of whether or not they are fluent in English.

The fact that they don't know who Thomas Jefferson was, yet don't like his quotation is a little troubling.

How can you NOT know someone, yet have an opinion on their quotations at the same time?

Kind of like me saying, "I have no clue who John Wayne is, but I liked him in Rio Bravo." If I don't know who he is, how do I know what movies he was in?

If the OP doesn't know "that who was Thomas Jefferson"....

...how is he able to form an opinion of his quotation?