• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

packing heat in plain view???

Dennis Brady III

there is an article i read on here for the Lancaster County, PA, it was about a guy Open carrying in gun, there is a mall called park city, he would OC his gun in the mall, shopping centers (like walmart) restaurants, etc, i didnt think you were aloud to carry a gun into those places? could someone explain to me if you are aloud to carry in those places? park city mall has a sign on the door and it says no guns, knifes, etc, what is that about?

here is the link

http://paopencarry.org/packing-heat-in-plain-view

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
there is an article i read on here for the Lancaster County, PA, it was about a guy Open carrying in gun, there is a mall called park city, he would OC his gun in the mall, shopping centers (like walmart) restaurants, etc, i didnt think you were aloud to carry a gun into those places? could someone explain to me if you are aloud to carry in those places? park city mall has a sign on the door and it says no guns, knifes, etc, what is that about?

here is the link

Carry laws differ quite a bit from state to state so you are better off asking this in your state forum.

In general though, if a business or private property isn't posted, you may carry there within the laws of your state. Some states give property owners more or less leeway in setting their gun policy.

As for Walmart, they generally follow state law, so if it's legal in your state you may carry in Walmart unless they tell you to leave.

IANAL of course.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

here is the link

A person's right to legally carry a firearm stops at the threshold of any private property where the owner prohibits armed people from entering. If the Park City Mall management has posted a sign prohibiting entry by armed people, then the armed citizen could be charged with trespassing. Some large corporate chains such as Walmart have a policy of following state firearms laws; that is, if the state does not prohibit open carry then the Walmart stores in that state allow open carry by their customers. A local restaurant may decide to allow or disallow any armed citizen entry, and it's their right to do so ... just as it's our right not to patronize any establishment that would deny armed citizens the right of effective self-defense.

Take the reporter's comments with a grain of salt. Many reporters have poor knowledge of the law or specific information on which establishments do or do not allow firearms carry on their property.

eye95

...If the Park City Mall management has posted a sign prohibiting entry by armed people, then the armed citizen could be charged with trespassing...

Is this a unique feature of PA law? In AL, a sign could not be sufficient. If an establishment is open to the public, a person must be personally asked to leave by the owner or his agent. Documentation of the disinvitation should be recorded by the police. Even though such is not required by law, as a matter of practicality, prosecution for trespass without this documentation is difficult to the point of practical impossibility.

Disclaimer: I do not advocate carrying where a private property owner has made it clear, with a sign or orally, that carriers are not welcome. To my knowledge, I have carried one place where the owners don't allow guns. The morons put their wishes in writing on business cards carried by mall security, and I never saw the card until they had already called the cops on me. They want to be able to say "no guns," yet not stir any pro-2A antipathy toward their business. Dishonest.

MKEgal

I realize that article is from 2007 (the week after the VA Tech massacre), so I hope the attitude has improved somewhat, but this made me :mad:
Since there are no records kept, no one knows how many people open carry guns in public here. [Mark Reese, chief deputy Lancaster County sheriff] thinks not too many "because they know they would be hounded every step of the way."
Aside from being wrong, that attitude shows that he is willing to act against his oath to uphold the laws & the Constitution.

Virginia Tech officials, in particular, successfully lobbied to... keep guns off campus.
Tech promises to expel any students who bring their handguns to school.
(But only handguns, mind you.)
So if Cho had survived, he'd have been expelled. I don't see how that was a deterrent...
Once again, only the decent people are really penalized, by being fodder for mass murder.

Toward the bottom, it says that OCDO sells a t-shirt that says, "Oops, my civil rights are showing."
I just browed the cafepress page & didn't find that, but I'd wear one.

Last edited:

aadvark

Dennis Brady III:

I Trust that Your Name does NOT Indicate any other Affiliations, now does it?

aadvark

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I realize that article is from 2007 (the week after the VA Tech massacre), so I hope the attitude has improved somewhat, but this made me :mad:

Since there are no records kept, no one knows how many people open carry guns in public here. [Mark Reese, chief deputy Lancaster County sheriff] thinks not too many "because they know they would be hounded every step of the way."

Oh, I'll bet he's modified his public statements a bit since then. You see his office lost a legal fight with our own forum owner, Mike Supermoderator. Something about refusing to issue Mike an LTCF or something because Mike refused to disclose his SSN on the application if I recall.

Besides, a good accountant and good attorney would like nothing more than for a police department to hound a PA OCer every step of the way.

Also, there was the woman, (Melananie Hain?) who won a case in nearby Lebanon County over revocation of her LTCF for OCing to a soccer game. It got a lot of press in PA.

Then there was that group at that restaurant a few years ago. Can't recall the name. Cops were dumb enough to seize five or six OCers out of a family restaurant for the perfectly legal OC. Lots of press on that one, too.

No, I'll bet the deputy sheriff for Lancaster Co. has changed his tune, at least outwardly. The last thing his boss is gonna want is a buncha pissed-off PA OCers descending on Lancaster County and raising a stink that could have been avoided by (gasp) respecting the law.