• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Vast Majority of LEOs are...?

Badger Johnson

LEO of the year accused of selling drugs. Decorated Boynton Beach officer was a drug dealer on the side, federal prosecutors allege

Britto was named Boynton Beach's 2010 "Officer of the Year" because of his exemplary work while in uniform, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
There's always a bad apple, or two, or three, or ten... Most police oficers are trying to uphold the law. Sometimes they have to uphold stupid laws, but this is not their fault. Most police officers want to help citizens. When, I was working Loss Prevention I had nothing but great encounters with the FCPD. On the other hand most police officers think they are a higher class, believe they are law experts, and believe only they know how to correctly use guns. I just try to make sure I am better informed and always carrying a recorder.

Gunslinger

...a representation of the population from which they come.

And range from corrupt or barely competent to well qualified and dedicated. Heroes and Nazi thugs are the extremes and a small percentage. But they get the majority--vast, of the publicity. Recently, the thugs have all but grabbed the exclusive media exposure. The cop killed in the line of duty still gets covered, but generally a paragraph one time in local papers. The pos scumbag gets exposure on You Tube, et al. And this forum.

Fallschirjmäger

... picking up a paycheck, same as the city maintenance guy, city water inspector, or city waste collections guy.

But, sometimes people have dreams of what they want to be like.

There's a theory which says, "The last person you want to elect as President of the Home Owner's Association is the guy that really, Really wants the job." It's a thankless position, that generally gives one the ability to really annoy people - no flagpoles, paint color restrictions, no parking pickups in public view, grass being 3.5 inches tall instead of 3.0 inches, etc.

Picture little Billy who dreams of one day becoming an Animal Control Officer. Every day between lunch and dinner, he can be found playing on the living room floor. Capturing all his "stray" little dogs and putting them in cages. Using a capture stick to put nooses around their necks, writing pretend citations to owners who didn't pick up Spot's poo bombs.

If you were a dog, would you want little Billy as the local Dog Catcher?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The Vast Majority of LEOs are...?

employed by the police department?

Pretty much once you get past that all the ondividual qualities and quirks get in the way of making any meaningful statement about competency, motivation, dedication, loyalty, fidelity or even style of haircut.

Did you catch the scandal down in Georgia where teachers and administrators were caught changing standardized test sheets so students (and thus the system) would pass and show improvement over last year's scores? All it seems to prove is that some of them got caught and some of them were too scared to stand up against what they knew was wrong. But that could be said for any random group of three or more people, couldn't it?

This cop deserves to get fired and punished with prison and a hefty fine. But it has nothing to do with cops as a whole unless you are trying to create an excuse for cop-bashing.*

stay safe.

*I have more reason than many to despise some cops - but that does not mean I lump them all together.

eye95

...*I have more reason than many to despise some cops - but that does not mean I lump them all together.

I, too, have good reason to despise cops (not nearly as good as yours), but I, too, will not lump them together. Is this a pattern?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I'm still trying to figure out what is so wrong with being a drug dealer.

The founders were all smugglers of contraband... When a Government creates a Black Market, it is often that Black Market alone which can muster the funds to throw off tyranny.

I see the hypocrisy. No need to point that out. But which side is the hypocrite? Was he a traitor to the drug dealing? Or a traitor to the badge?

Blah blah blah... There's just so much cool aid for you to drink.

Ruby

I'm still trying to figure out what is so wrong with being a drug dealer.

The founders were all smugglers of contraband... When a Government creates a Black Market, it is often that Black Market alone which can muster the funds to throw off tyranny.

I see the hypocrisy. No need to point that out. But which side is the hypocrite? Was he a traitor to the drug dealing? Or a traitor to the badge?

Blah blah blah... There's just so much cool aid for you to drink.

I'll tell you what is so wrong with being a drug dealer. The main problem is all the lives that are destroyed by drugs, especially young lives. Crack especially. Fries the brain. People high on crack and other drugs have proven to be a very real threat to the rest of us. Young people whose potential in terms of doing something beneficial for themselves and the rest of society, gone forever. Drug rehabilitation is expensive and doesn't always work because a lot of these drugs are addictive. Walk down the back alleys of any fairly large city and you will see plenty of reasons. Throwaway people. Drug dealers make their living off of other peoples' addictions and misery, as well as contribute to it. IIRC, they don't have a very long life span either. I know, I know, it's the addict's choice but the dealer sure enables that choice to continue the addiction.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
"The vast majority of LEOs are...?"

1. Learning about OC. Nobody got arrested on July 4th this year!

2. Not doing enough to expel or correct the bad LEOs. I'm still waiting to hear the outrage from the "good" LEOs against all the arrests and seizures of cameras of citizens videoing police.

Last edited:

FireStar M40

Don't Get Me Started..

Citizen said in part:

"I'm still waiting to hear the outrage from the "good" LEOs against all the arrests and seizures of cameras of citizens videoing police."

You've hit upon a subject that's close to my heart. All one has to do is go up to the web site:

Photography is not a Crime

To see how on a daily basis Cops regularly order the public to stop taking photo's, even though the photo's that are being taken and where they're being taken from are both completely legal.

It's no wonder why Cops are disliked by the general public. With attitudes like that I can see why.

FireStar M40

230therapy

...oathbreakers.

The majority of cops now view their badge as a permission slip to fabricate probable cause to justify behavior beyond their authority (see the video of a California man shooting a 22 rifle in his backyard and watch deputies invent PC to search his home).

Furthermore, most have the attitude that citizens must OBEY their orders immediately. If the citizen does not immediately comply, he or she faces anything from a beating to bullets. The phrase "I was in fear for my life" has become a justification for violent behavior beyond lawful authority. It is supported by courts and DA's across the country.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
...a representation of the population from which they come.

I certainly hope not. We've been told and told about the backround checks and psych evals and the oh-so difficult to pass academy, etc. etc. Why, only a smidgen of men possess the courage and mental capacity to become cops. Its a very wonder of the universe that these very few also happen to desire to be a cop and find their way into the policing industry.

By their own lights, and the lights of their own public-relations machinary, they are heroes-in-blue, doing a dangerous job (very), who just want to go home safe at night (self-contradiction).

There's no way they are a respresentation of the population from which they are drawn. They are obviously so much better than us mundanes.

Or, from another angle, thank you very much you [bleep] for insulting the rest of the population.

Personally, I expect more from them regarding knowledge of the law, adherence to law, and deep respect for rights, especially OC and 4A than I do from the rest of the population.

SourKraut

The Vast Majority of LEOs are.....

...presumed innocent until convicted at trial by a jury of their peers.

:banghead:

What's with the witch-hunt game some of you people are playing?

rodbender

I think it is because we are tired of the police doing what they do to subvert the Constitution when their oathe is clearly to protect and defend it. The real upsetting part is, when something like this happens, the rest do not say a word (or actually support the offending officer) because they know that they could be next, and want that support from the other officers for themselves.

eye95

Yeah, some folks here use every opportunity they can find to bash cops in general based on some actions of some cops. They cannot balance their focus, recognizing that, just as with the regular population, just as with most sub-populations, including this one in which we participate, there are good members and bad members of the LEO population.

The one-sidedness of their outlook really makes the OC movement, of late, take on a bit of a wacko, extremist feel.

Sad.

Badger Johnson

"The Vast majority of LEOs are..." I made that the title so that people could put their own spin or interpretation on the event. Some here got it. Some decided it was a license to cop-bash. Be that as it were, draw your own conclusions.

jbone

"The Vast majority of LEOs are..." I made that the title so that people could put their own spin or interpretation on the event. Some here got it. Some decided it was a license to cop-bash. Be that as it were, draw your own conclusions.

Looks to me your title "was designed to invite interpretations and generate spin where some willget it, and others will bash. Isn’t that what you meant to say, and accomplish? Where do you fall in line with “the vast majority of LEOs are…?”

Last edited: