• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Metro LEO takes advantage of Virginia freedom

TFred

Of course, being a LEO, he would be able to keep a firearm in his house anyway... but it sure seems ironic that he would choose to live in Virginia where "anyone" is free to defend their own home.

What do you want to bet this same action by a non-LEO (using the threat of lethal force to detain a non-violent suspect) would be prosecuted in DC?

Drunken visitor gets unfriendly reception

"The Metro police officer, thinking the visitor was a potential burglar, held a gun on the suspect until deputies arrived, Sheriff's Lt. Col. Michael Timm said."

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Don't they use "Metro" to refer to the greater Fredericksburg Metropolitain Census Area? I ask, because iirc the DC cops/firefighters are still under that unconstitutional rule requiring them to live inside the DC borders.

As for holding a trespasser at gunpoint until the "real" cops arrived - in Virginia there have been several people sent away for life for that exact crime of armed kidnapping. Even if the shmuck is not charged criminally he could face a nasty civil suit once his erst-while guest sobers up and talks to an attorney.

In any case, unless he's a Spotsy. Co. deputy he was out of his jurisdiction and only has the powers of citizen's arrest, if I remember the case of the off-duty Petersburg cop who chased the drunk drver into some preacher's car.

stay safe.

TFred

Don't they use "Metro" to refer to the greater Fredericksburg Metropolitain Census Area? I ask, because iirc the DC cops/firefighters are still under that unconstitutional rule requiring them to live inside the DC borders.

As for holding a trespasser at gunpoint until the "real" cops arrived - in Virginia there have been several people sent away for life for that exact crime of armed kidnapping. Even if the shmuck is not charged criminally he could face a nasty civil suit once his erst-while guest sobers up and talks to an attorney.

In any case, unless he's a Spotsy. Co. deputy he was out of his jurisdiction and only has the powers of citizen's arrest, if I remember the case of the off-duty Petersburg cop who chased the drunk drver into some preacher's car.

stay safe.
I've lived here for the better part of three decades now, and I don't ever recall the use of "metro" to refer to local folks. I assume if it was a Northern Virginia LEO they would have said Northern Virginia. If it was local, they would have likely identified the jurisdiction. That's my guess.

It will be interesting to see if any further details are reported. I'm guessing not, since it was a LEO.

TFred

Blk97F150

In any case, unless he's a Spotsy. Co. deputy he was out of his jurisdiction and only has the powers of citizen's arrest.....

He also has the power of the 'thin blue line'..... which gives him the ability to do things 'differently' then mortal citizens, and not be held to the same standards. :eek: