• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Worst disaster in U.S. History

impulse

Due to a murder trial that captivated America, and someones body part that had the same name of the person, filling the news. An event that could/can change America as we know, has slipped by the media. Or has it? Some report that censorship is in full swing.

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/june172011/nebraska-nuclear.php

We have heard of the North Dakota floods, even the Fort Calhoun nuclear power plant; that many say is Fukishima is slow motion.

But the main focus needs to be at the head of this disaster, which is the Fort Peck Dam. It was reported only a few weeks ago, the capacity of Fort Peck was at 112%.Scary to think that a dam that had a failure during construction in 1938, sat at 112% capacity.
Currently it sits at 101% http://www.nwd-mr.usace.army.mil/rcc/reports/showrep.cgi?3MRDTAP7

Now while 101% sounds better than 112%, and the rain has held off. The biggest concern is the snow run off. "With well below average temperatures so far in 2011 and with well above average snowpack, Montana is facing a huge run-off season. Heavy spring rain has already put much of the state in flood conditions so what does this mean when the weather heats up and the snow starts melting? Much of Montana still has 200%-300% of average snow levels"

http://www.deaddriftoutdoors.com/blog/montana-snow-pack-and-flooding-update

So by the sounds of it, they won't be able to expel water fast enough, using the dams release abilities. So next step is, to divert the water. The link I am about to provide, was not found on any news site, but from digging through search engine pages.

http://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...934883f615ee25e7742e869bddf&tab=core&_cview=0

The bid was posted June 11, and the contract was awarded June 14. Wow only 3 days needed until they found the lowest bidder? It must be urgent. The contract was to stockpile rock, at the Fort Peck Dam. Why would rock be needed at the dam? Seeing as there are no reports on the current situation at the dam, my only guess, is diversion. They know they can not expel water fast enough, so they will divert it. Sounds like a great plan, but.....

http://ncrenegade.com/editorial/an-...oun-nuclear-plant-and-cooper-nuclear-station/

Basically what the article is saying Fort Calhoun and Cooper Nuclear stations, are on the back burner right now. If they don't "control" the flooding, the dams will break. After they release water, they will then focus their attention to the slow motion Fukushimas.

Thankfully FEMA has been doing training exercises in May. Not exactly for floods, but the New Madrid earthquake that is soon upon us. http://www.fema.gov/media/fact_sheets/nle2011_fs.shtm

But thankfully they have supplies ready for any occasion. 140 million meals, blankets, and underwater body bags.

Dreamer

I am the only person in the world that thinks e might need to re-evaluate our propensity to build EVERY SINGLE nuclear power plant on the planet within 50 miles of a major fault line, and about 75% of them are ALSO in flood plains or tsunami zones?

It's almost like these insane locations for nuclear power plants were chosen on purpose...

Just sayin'...

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Sometimes you just can't win. Standard electricity is vulnerable to hackers, wind power kills poor helpless birds, solar power isn't reliable, oil is bad for the enviroment, coal is dangerous to obtain, and nuclear power will kill you. What can we do?

VW_Factor

You can't guarantee any natural disaster will ever happen to any nuclear plant, or any plain ol' power plant period, regardless of where you build it.

VW_Factor

Sometimes you just can't win. Standard electricity is vulnerable to hackers

Don't buy into that hype. "The internet" doesn't work like that.

Being able to monitor things over the internet is an ENTIRELY different animal than having control over it. The controls don't exist like that.

jbone

I say Obama being elected is the worst disaster in U.S. History.

Gunslinger

I may be a tad prejudiced, but I'd say A. Lincoln.;)

You never give up, Johnny Reb...

lbj--the blood of 57,000 American boys on his hands;
peanut farmer--incompetent wuss;
obooba--change we can go down the toilet with;
slick willy klinton--draft dodger in chief;
fdr--father of marxism in the US.

Having served in Vietnam, my perspective is a bit different.

SFCRetired

Of course not. I'm still trying to live down the one great grandfather who served in the 44th Indiana Volunteer Infantry.

On LBJ, part of that blood must rest on the hands of John Kennedy. He was advised by a well-respected military man and scholar to leave Vietnam alone. He didn't listen.
The peanut farmer surprised me. I would have thought a naval officer would have been far more competent; especially one chosen by Hyman Rickover.

Save yore Confederate money, boys! The South will rise again!!:D

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member

I'd say Wilson was what enabled Marxism to take root here. Both he and FDR were disasters though.

On Vietnam, IMO killing commies was a noble endeavor. Your efforts to try and stop the spread of marxism in SE Asia was commendable service, and I still resent the hell out of the hippie scum who disparaged you men for doing your duty. Since you actually did the service I suppose it's up to you to decide the validity of the effort, but I salute you Sir. Welcome home.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Thank you. And I agree Wilson took the first steps, but fdr and the commies in his cabinet pushed us hard. lbj then picked up the effort.

hermannr

I also am a Vietnam Vet, I was a supporter at the time I was in Vietnam, but as I age, I realize, just as with our more current conflicts, we really have no business wasting our countries resources so we could to force our opinion on another country's government.

It has never gone well, and is the fundimental reason for the "terrorist" problem and cr$% we are going through now.

WW and FDR top my list of bad. Other's are bad, they were the worst. Remember too FDR brought us the NFA 34.

Dreamer

I think that just about everything that happened in Washington DC in 1913 was one of the biggest disasters in US history...

The establishment of the federal income tax through the 16th Amendment

The beginning of the Federal overreaching on "interstate commerce" by application of the Commerce Clause to the regulation of hunting of migratory birds was begun.

The 17th Amendment, putting the election of Senators in the hands of the People (rather than the State Legislatures) was enacted.

The Rockefeller Foundation was chartered.

The Federal Reserve was established.

Richard Nixon, William Casey, Richard Helms, Gerald Ford, and W. Mark Felt were born.

1913 was, by most historical yardsticks, the "beginning of the end" for the Republic...

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
i will agree with the presidents listed but lets not give the republicans a break. Teddy Roosevelt was probably the first progressive

here is an article by John Silveira that i like
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/silveira49.html

and here are some other article by him
http://www.backwoodshome.com/sview.html

+1

I always enjoyed his articles, and I wish I still subscribed to BWH. Maybe I should renew again.

Teddy was a progressive douche, for whatever good he did he gave the gov't too much power. Had it not been for him and his stupid "Bull Moose" party splitting the vote, we never would have had a Wilson. Just like we wouldn't have had a Klinton if not for Perot. Third parties haven't done $#!t for anyone. Look at the UK if you want to see how bad it would be here if we didn't have a "right or wrong" system, because that "grey area" is far too full of idiots.

Most of us know democraps are wrong. There's no point in splitting us further.

Gunslinger

Not even a tenth of Lincoln's total: 625,000 Americans dead in four years.

At least there was a cause--on both sides, in that bloodbath. There wasn't one supported by Washington in 'Nam. We won all of the battles; they lost the war, and I put Nixon on the ledger for that as well. "Peace with honor" my ass.

Dreamer

Back to the OP...

The REAL story behind most of these over-capacity midwestern dams isn't that they are sitting at over their designed capacity now, after weeks of heavy rains.

The REAL story is that they KNEW they had a record snowfall last winter. They had forecasts for above-average rainfall weeks ahead of time this summer. And yet they STILL let these dams sit at near-capacity all spring, rather letting some of the spring runoff water through the dams in a controlled manner, to lower the water levels, and increase their capacity for the impending late-spring and early-summer snow runoff and rains.

Rather than drop the retained water levels to give them the capacity to hold excess rain and snow runoff and control flooding (like they were DESIGNED to do), these dams were allowed to be essentially "topped off" long BEFORE the heavy runoff season started, pretty much GUARANTEEING that they would actually CAUSE flooding--perhaps catastrophic floods if these dams fail...

But to even suggest that anyone in the government might be considering CAUSING a disaster--to clear the land, kill and displace tens of thousands of people, and enable an even further expansion of "emergency powers"--would be a "conspiracy theory", so I won't go there... :uhoh:

Just sayin'...

Last edited: