• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Sheriff that helped me OC in Oregon! This man is a hero!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Many of us received a CHL for Oregon from Sheriff Palmer. That CHL gives us Preemption in Oregon and allows us to legally OC while in Oregon. The following is an incredible write up on this sheriff and what he stands for and believes.

Here

Teresa Raaf, Supervisor
Malheur National Forest
Patterson Bridge Road
John Day, Oregon 97845

Ms. Raaf, March 31, 2011

Regarding the pending cooperative policing agreement between the US Forest Service and the Grant County Sheriff, I am advising you in writing that I will not be signing the agreement. I do not believe that it is in the best interest of the people I serve or the Grant County Sheriff's Office to continue with the agreement.
There are several issues that I will bring to your attention that at this point I will not go into detail about.

The issues include, but are not limited to, how US Forest Service LEO's treated citizens of this county in October and November of 2010, Travel Management Plan, illegal road closures, grazing, logging, wood permits, prescribed burns, unemployment and other socio-economic issues this community faces today. There is a general mistrust of the federal government by the people of this County, State and Nation.

You are aware that I had sent at least two requests to the US Forest Service asking for information that pertains to where the US Forest Service gets its Constitutional authority to have law enforcement officers within Grant County.

One response that I have received in writing is that their authority is given through the Cooperative Policing Agreement that this agency has signed in the past. Upon asking for clarification and a second request, the response was that I needed to check with my District Attorney. Neither response in my opinion is adequate.
Under Article 1 Section 8 of the United States Constitution, the federal government is limited in its powers and authority. Your jurisdiction as I see it is limited in nature to the Federal Building in John Day.

Within the confines of Grant County, Oregon, the duties and responsibility of law enforcement will rest with the County Sheriff and his designees.

Sincerely,

Glenn E. Palmer

Sheriff for Grant County

MKEgal

amlevin said:
Can we clone him? We need many, many, more like him in this country.
I want one. Make that 2: 1 for the county, 1 for the city.
People in other cities can apply to get their own clone.

(Completely off topic, but that reminds me of a song... to the tune of "Home on the range":
"Oh give me a clone,
of my own flesh & bone,
with the y chromosome changed to x,
And when I'm alone,
with my very own clone,
we'll be thinking of nothing but sex
."
Obviously written by a man.)

Metalhead47

(Completely off topic, but that reminds me of a song... to the tune of "Home on the range":
"Oh give me a clone,
of my own flesh & bone,
And when I'm alone,
with my very own clone,
."

:uhoh: um... so would that be considered incest or....? :eek:

PracticalTactical

"Oh give me a clone,
of my own flesh & bone,
And when I'm alone,
with my very own clone,
."

Hmmm, sure hope that clone is on birth control. You can bet on pretty much every recessive gene malady, and then a few we didn't know about with any offspring.

Metalhead47

Hmmm, sure hope that clone is on birth control. You can bet on pretty much every recessive gene malady, and then a few we didn't know about with any offspring.

You mean like this?

basket-case-garage.jpg

Last edited:

jt59

This may be a record

I don't think that I have seen a post fall off topic and degrade to such a nonsensical thread so quickly in my time on the board while trying to honor and recognize someone.

It is refreshing to say the least to find someone in law enforcement that is willing as well as understanding his role and responsibility to the community that he serves and willing to defend it by standing up to the over reaching that is purvasive in our gov't today.

Cudo's to him...I look forward to meeting him at his next visit to WA to get my CHL.

Last edited:

Lovenox

What can we do for him that is in the parameters of the law to show our appreciation besides writing a letter? Anybody?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What can we do for him that is in the parameters of the law to show our appreciation besides writing a letter? Anybody?

Besides writing Letters to the Editor, I'd say we all go ahead and flood his in-box. This just went out from me:

TO: tjones@ephrata.org

Message from Citizen

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...on!-This-man-is-a-hero!&p=1568759#post1568759

Please ignore the off-topic drift. I'm sure there was no disrespect of you, your office or your courage and forthrightness intended by anyone who posted there.

I add my congratulations and admiration for your forthright stand for the rule of law and your dedication to the people of Grant County and your dedication to - in the true meaning of the word - serve them.

Yes, there are calls for you to be cloned. Yes, there are times that even I would like to see something like that happen. But the most important thing you can do to improve the quality of law enforcement and service to the people they serve is to remain a shining example for all the Sheriffs and Chiefs of Police across the country.

As noted, there are many who would like to express their admiration and thanks to you in some tangible way. I hope that by posting a copy of this message at www.opencarry.org others will see there is at least one way to do so without they, or you, running afoul of the rules of conduct.

Again, my compliments and congratulation for what you probably saw as "merely doing your duty."

stay safe.

stay safe.