• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man Shoots Himself with his Kimber on Video

jbone

Then say what happened.
Operator oz playin that there I’m a Texas Ranger game and dam nr shot me leg off, I done called momma but she called me a dang fool and hung up, can you help me? Should I do like that northern boy and hippie dude on that there dual survival TV show and light some gun powder on those two leg bleeders?

Don Barnett

Galco Holsters and Condition 1 Carry

I also have a Kimber Pro Carry II and bought several holsters for it.

One holster is a Galco shoulder rig: an old discontinued Black Widow that I found on the back shelf of a gun store. The retention strap can be moved around to allow for Condition 3 or Condition 1 carry and the pistol can be easily drawn.

Another Galco holster has no retention strap and the pistol can be carried easily in Condition 1

The third Galco holster is the "Fletch" model with a retention strap. I like it when riding on my motorcycle. The strap can be bent around so that is works with Condition 3 or Condition 1 carry...BUT...

When I practiced drawing (unloaded) from Condition 1, the configuration of the holster somehow released the thumb safety. No matter what I tried, the thumb safety would not stay on when drawing the pistol.

I showed it to my neighbor who is an LEO...who loves 1911s and would prefer carry one (only if it were in Condition 1)...and he said that it would be problematic.

Phxbluesman

Made me think twice about changing holster

I came across this video while searching for a retention holster for my Kimber UCII. I have been using a crossbreed super tuck for CC and a fobius paddle for OC. I was considering a getting one with a retention system but after seeing and reading I decided to just stay with the same holster type I have been training with all this time. My only reason for considering a new one was for weapon retention in the event someone tried to grab my gun. I tried the Blackhawk at the store and I have to admit it felt REALLY strange using my trigger finger for anything else than pulling the trigger. Luckily for me and me and my wallet they didn't have one specifically for my Kimber UCII (tried the one for the Colt commander) so I passed, otherwise I might have bought it.

My thoughts are that for me carrying a 1911 style... any holster that uses my trigger finger OR my thumb (saftey) for anything else than those two extremely important and separate jobs is not a holster for me. I prefer to keep those dedicated to one task each.

I did the unloaded upside down shake test with the Fobius and it took some really hard shaking to get my pistol to come out, so I am happy with the friction retention for keeping it holstered during regular activity. As far as someone grabbing my gun, the cant on the fobius makes it difficult to draw from any other angle than from the wearers. I know there are some push to draw systems (PDS). I might consider one of those types.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member

HKcarrier

I own a serpa and I would advise against one. I don't know about that bianchi... looks pretty easy to screw up, plus it looks like a random part hanging out there to get damaged or catch on things...

I would HIGHLY recommend a safariland ALS retention holster. It is thumb operated, but VERY natural and would be EASY to release with the thumb and then get thumb moved to safety in my opinion... at least worth a look. ALso, they are suade lined so they don't wear as much as other 'plastic" holsters.

I would not OC without a retention holster.