• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Louisville Metro Parks Jefferson Memorial Forest "Firearms Prohibited"

jackjack

Today I went hiking at Jefferson Memorial Forest, and I saw a sign that stated "firearms prohibited." It's free, but you need a permit to hike the trails. It's free, but on the back of the permit there is a list of rules and regulations. No firearms was also listed on the rules and regulations. :eek:

This sounds like a violation of KRS 65.870 to me. They call this portion of the park the Horine Reservation. Here is one of their many maps/pamphlets that has a list of rules: http://www.louisvilleky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/4CE76D02-20E3-46B2-8904-27466DB8FD8E/0/2HorineReservationBrochure.pdf

Any suggestions or comments? If this is a violation of state law, I am ready to get the ball rolling on getting this corrected.

Has anyone ever tried calling the state attorney's office on matters such as these? Thanks everyone.

vic40204

I made a phone call about this a few months back and was eventually informed that it is legal to carry there. But i did not ask about carrying inside of the office. The sign apparently hasn't yet been removed.

Vic.

Last edited:

jackjack

Online Brochure: Updated;Permit: Outdated; Sign Reads: Firearms Prohibitied

Sorry for the slow reply. I've been working lots of 10+ hour days recently.

I'll get a picture of the sign and upload the permit soon. However, gutshot, the sign uses the phrase "Firearms Prohibited." The permit has a rule listed that states, "Hunting, trapping, shooting or carrying of firearms (including BB guns) are not allowed in the Forest. All animals protected."

It appears that they have corrected the online brochure. When I was looking it over they have removed the words "or carrying" from the online brochure. The online brochure was revised 12/10 while the permits have been revised 11/10/09.

I did not notice the correction on the online brochure. My apologies on the confusion there. The problems still exist with the sign and the permit.

Once again, thanks to everyone for your support. It looks like they are aware of the problems, and when I go back for another hike very soon I'll let the office staff know. I'll be calling Metro Parks director, Michael Heitz on my first business day off and inform him of the actions that need to be taking.

jackjack

Bumps in the road. Well, more like bumps in my own driveway.

Hey, guys and gals. I have recently put the issue on the back burner. Recent family illness is a current priority, and I have not been able to appropriate necessary effort to the issue of the park sign. I still plan on making some calls but will do so when I can partition sufficient amount of time to the cause.