• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The very reason I don't carry in a serpa

G20-IWB24/7

Following the same line of reasoning:

"I'm selling all of my automobiles because I saw a guy on youtube who crashed his car (while drinking and doing 90MPH) and got very badly injured during the crash...."

If that's all it takes for you to abandon ship, so be it.

sempercarry

Following the same line of reasoning:

"I'm selling all of my automobiles because I saw a guy on youtube who crashed his car (while drinking and doing 90MPH) and got very badly injured during the crash...."

If that's all it takes for you to abandon ship, so be it.

No, Following the same line of reasoning would be:

I saw this guy on youtube who was driving a Dodge magnum and due to the steep angled short windshields his blind spots were bigger and he sideswiped another car"

That is anonther actual problem. I'm not sure why you are all jumping on me. I guess I wont post anything I think may help others avoid and ND. You guys are probably right, releasing the gun with your trigger finger that is a fraction of an inch from the trigger at the time of draw is preferable to a plain old yank or releasing it with your thumb....it would be impossible to to fire the gun with your thumb btw. I guess I'm not allowed to have opinions on gear. And complaining in the military is how deficiancies in gear guns and tactics are corrected, case and point: bitching and moaning that shooting in houses is noisey got our whole platoon surpressors.

Trigger Dr

You certainly can have opinions on safety and gear. But at the same time, you need to realize others will probably disagree with you to some extent. Accept this and carry on. But I would counsel you to establish a solid background in evaluating items. You may have that background, but until it is recognized, it will not have any weight.

G20-IWB24/7

The problem you are describing is not a problem with the holster, its design or material. Nor is it a problem with the firearm that it was holding. Notice the gun does not fire while it is IN the holster... only once it comes OUT of the holster (and subsequently out of its covering of the triggerguard) AND the trigger is fully depressed by the person who's hand the gun is in (which is how the gun is designed to operate).

Tell me how it is NOT operator error when there are literally thousands of SERPAs in daily use and only a 'select few' have ever had an issue with one?

I carry a GLOCK in a SERPA on many occasion... now you're telling me that all of the training and drilling I've done to make my hands quick and effective in handling that combination in a hurry is useless? That when the holster decides its time to shoot me in the leg, it will happen? (I'm not trying to 'jump' on YOU. What I'm 'jumping' on is your theory that lacks evidence or support.)

So I guess no one has ever had a ND with a thumb-break holster? Or one with no retention at all?

sempercarry

Well said Triggerdr. Please try this. Push your finger down on the desk in front of you at about 7-10 lbs of pressure. Now slide your finger off the desk towards you while continuing downward pressure. I bet your finger goes down and not to you. I will say it again....OWNING THIS HOLSTER DOES NOT AUTOMATICLY MAKE YOU HAVE AN ND!!!! Probably all of us can catch a ball that we throw into the air. But tie one hand behind your back and it becomes more difficult. Thousands of people a day talk on their cell phones and drive at the same time without having an accident. Doesn't mean its smart. We can all draw from the holster and accuratly engage a target (hopefully)....in ideal conditions. When you ad an attacker you are going to have alot of physiological responses such as: Loss of fine motor controls, adreneline rush, space time compression, auditory exclusion, tunnel vision, electrodermal stimulation ect ect. Do you really want to ad a button that is pressed to release the gun which is only a fraction of an inch from the trigger....I don't. If you do and it works for you...fine.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
The release in the Sepra Holster if one was to depress it and slide out the weapon, it will lay on the slide not the trigger.
This guy put his finger on the trigger before putting the gun on the target, foolish at a minimum and well he is paying for that stupid unsafe act.

The claim of "After explaining this concern to a rep at Bladetechs HQ in Puyallup, he told me that this was a problem with that holster and that it had led to several hundred NDs and injuries which is why they came up with their Thumbdrive holster." is no more they hype by a competitor.

If this had any truth to it they would not continue to sell this item as to the liability of it in the courts and not to say the public in general.

A review of this nature lacks any real research and is nothing more then speculation. This is a poor start to someone wanting to write reviews.

Tawnos

Well said Triggerdr. Please try this. Push your finger down on the desk in front of you at about 7-10 lbs of pressure.

Holy crap that's a lot of pressure. I just tested with a kitchen scale a press similar to the serpa, and my serpa takes about 4-8oz of pressure, or 1/28-1/80 the amount you suggested.

No wonder you don't like it, yours takes fingers like biceps to operate!

sempercarry

No wonder you don't like it, yours takes fingers like biceps to operate!

....Ok that was kinda funny....The point I was trying to make is that because fine motor control goes out the window you will more than likely give it way more pressure than is needed. While it only takes a few ounces to disengage the lock you will more than likely give it a few pounds. Just like when you have a close call in your car.....very few people have the skill/sound mind/unshakable composure to slowly depress the brake. Most people hit it as fast and as hard as possible and put themselves into a skid. The same is true in tactical situation when you life is in danger. For example: You are always taught to slap the bolt release of an AR with an open hand during a speed reload instead of looking for the button with your thumb.

SpyderTattoo

Where is your trigger finger when drawing from some kind of leather holster with a thumb break? Where does your trigger finger sit when you grip the gun before pulling it out of the holster?

tombrewster421

Where is your trigger finger when drawing from some kind of leather holster with a thumb break? Where does your trigger finger sit when you grip the gun before pulling it out of the holster?

Well, my finger doesn't have to PUSH on anything so it's relaxed and straight against the slide. I would venture to say that most people could say the same, and it takes far less training to make sure that's where it ends up if you don't have to flex it at all. I think if you get a great deal on the holster, or if it's issued to you then that extra little bit of training could be worth it. I get great deals on holsters from Blade-Tech (I know the owners) so it's not an issue for me. Also, think about a scenario where you're trying to draw your gun with your assailant fighting over it with you. You'd have to push that release button pretty hard in order to get it to release if the other guy was pulling up on your hand already. I'm not trying to dog on serpas, I'm just saying that in less than ideal conditions this "COULD" contribute to a ND.

Tawnos

....Ok that was kinda funny....The point I was trying to make is that because fine motor control goes out the window you will more than likely give it way more pressure than is needed. While it only takes a few ounces to disengage the lock you will more than likely give it a few pounds. Just like when you have a close call in your car.....very few people have the skill/sound mind/unshakable composure to slowly depress the brake. Most people hit it as fast and as hard as possible and put themselves into a skid. The same is true in tactical situation when you life is in danger. For example: You are always taught to slap the bolt release of an AR with an open hand during a speed reload instead of looking for the button with your thumb.

We get that you don't like it, but your indictment is one of lack of practice/good habits, not of the serpa. It sounds like you try to push down the button when you draw. That's just the wrong way to think about the serpa, and certainly the wrong way to use it. It's no different than people who draw and are already pushing towards the trigger, or who instinctively put their finger anywhere in or beside the trigger guard when picking up a firearm. I pointed out how little actual pressure it takes because you don't have to "press it", gripping your firearm with your finger indexed is enough to actuate it. If you're pressing in at all, curving your finger at all... you probably shouldn't be using a serpa (and should probably go back to practicing the 4 rules, since I am pretty sure you're breaking one of them at some point during a draw with even a non-retention holster).

xxx.jakk.xxx

With my serpa, my finger is relaxed and straight when drawing. The act of laying my straight finger against the release is enough to disengage the lock. My serpa is actually my favorite holster because of the ease and speed of drawing. All I have to do is put my hand on the gun and it's ready to slide straight out of the holster without doing anything but pulling straight up. I don't have to unsnap anything like on my leather and it still has retention unlike my stock XDm holster that it came with.

amlevin

You'd have to push that release button pretty hard in order to get it to release if the other guy was pulling up on your hand already. I'm not trying to dog on serpas, I'm just saying that in less than ideal conditions this "COULD" contribute to a ND.

In the scenario you describe the SERPA is doing it's job. With thumb break holsters there is no security against the other guy merely drawing YOUR weapon and using it against you.

Again, if this was such a big problem I'm sure that there would be numerous product liability cases filed by all those hungry lawyers out there. Just for grins, can anyone actually document a case where someone shot themselves in the leg/@ss because of a SERPA? Something other than a blatant "hype" video on youtube for a competitive product?

It's becoming apparent that those pointing out the "could happen" scenarios haven't had much experience with a SERPA holster.

amlevin

I prefer the smell of leather for all of my guns!:banana::banana::banana:

YES! LEATHER:banana::banana::banana:

I too like leather. Doesn't weather as well if you are out in the wet like the Kydex holsters.

It only takes a few minutes to dry and oil your firearm if you get soaked in a rainstorm but it takes what seems like forever to dry leather out.

Each has it's advantages.

Leather shoes are more comfortable than rubber boots but I wouldn't wear them when it's soaking wet outside.