Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many open carry weapons should you own?

How many open carry weapons should you own?

This quote by hotrod8812 from another thread got me to thinking...

How many carry different weapon/holster combinations should one own/do you own...

My standard answer is, as with any tool, as many as you can afford AND be proficient at using properly.

I do not currently open carry, but if I ever do, it will be one weapon with "matching" holster, regardless of how many weapons I own.

asg

I would say optimally you use the same type of holster for all your pistols so that drawing is the same each time. In reality not all manufacturers make holsters for every single model out there.

For example I use the SERPA retention holster for all my guns that Blackhawk makes one. My FNP-45 is not on their list yet so I use a leather holster for that. In the future if a SERPA holster becomes available for the FN I will buy it.

I personally have grown to dislike thumb safeties but on a 1911 you usually find one. :-)

I also like buying models that reuse holsters. EG the Sig P220 and P226 fit the same SERPA and other holsters. The FNP-45 fits a Sig P220 holster. My USP and USP compact fit the same SERPA. I have a 1911 SERPA that I used for three different 1911's. Optimal is optimal but I know there will always be the exception. :-)

My gun buying strategy is one of everything. One 9mm, one .40, one .357, one .45, one .380 etc., then I started buying doubles (or four 1911s :-)) As many as you can afford. If you want to carry it, as many as you can afford to train with. I agree with using similar holster platforms as feasible.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

All of them x2 for back-ups and parts.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Centurion
    This is a personal matter but my answer is "at least one more than the maximum limit placed upon me by law in ANY local, county, State, Federal, National, or INTERNATIONAL organization, political subdivision or agency!

I say you should own as many firearms as you can reasonably afford, and want.

As for holsters for different handguns, I would suggest that you pick a holster platform you like, and use it universally for all the guns you OC. Carrying different guns places a HUGE set of mental gymnastics on the carrier--which gun am I carrying, how does it's safety work, how does its manual of arms work for malfunctions, etc...

Adding a bunch of different holsters with WILDLY different retention mechanisms is just adding one more variable to an already complicated situation. As we've seen in the recently-posted video, making a mental mistake with a holster/firearm combination can lead to serious injury or worse.

KISS...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

I have more then one gun, but I only carry the 1911 in a comp-tac IWB all year in metro Phoenix.
    The old saying I think holds true. "Beware of the man with only one gun" (he shoots it well is the implication)

I started carrying with a makarov and when I got the right holster and gun belt, that allowed me to move up to my full sized 45. I carry it 16/7
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Cava3r4 View Post
    I have more then one gun, but I only carry the 1911 in a comp-tac IWB all year in metro Phoenix.
    The old saying I think holds true. "Beware of the man with only one gun" (he shoots it well is the implication)

I started carrying with a makarov and when I got the right holster and gun belt, that allowed me to move up to my full sized 45. I carry it 16/7
    Bob
    You don't sleep with a gun in your holster on your special pajama pants belt like the rest of us? :-)
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I had a feeling I was preaching to the choir...

I realize the purpose of this site is open carry, but that last thing anyone who appreciates the 2nd Amendment needs is another fool to add to the statistics of why all guns are bad!!!

I OC exclusivey in thumbreak holsters as those are avaliable for all of my primary carry guns.

Sent from my Droid Flipside using Tapatalk
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

I have at least one holster for every type of handgun I own. Every handgun I own has been OC'd at some point or other. That's what they're for... to carry.

Well, I have four kids and one job so I have an exclusive OC package.

In plain english that means I only have one handgun for OC becuse my kids eat too much.
    Last edited by Freedom First; 07-08-2011 at 04:30 PM.
    Freedom can never be lost, only given away by ignorance, by choice, or at the point of a gun. Here in America we can still choose.

Freedom First 1775

"I aim to misbehave..." Malcolm Reynolds

One as a minimum. I have a few different types of guns and holsters, but till I am comfortable and proficient with one I will not carry it.
    If Obama is the answer; how stupid was the question?

Quote Originally Posted by tcmech View Post
    One as a minimum. I have a few different types of guns and holsters, but till I am comfortable and proficient with one I will not carry it.
    And that is my point, I agree!!!

How many? At least one. Everything else is a bonus.

Activist Member
    I personally think you can own as many as you want just as long as your familiar or efficient with them all. Currently I'm going to be buying a Remington 870 shotgun here in a couple weeks just because its summer time and clay shooting is fun and sporty. Also shotgun ammo is a bit cheaper
    Nothing better than a Glock.........except maybe another Glock!

Founder's Club Member
    "How many open carry weapons should you own?"

Well, lets count:

1911 full size
    1911 commander size
    S&W Model 66 3" .357 Mag
    S&W Model 629 4" .44 Mag
    S&W Model 686 3" or 4", .357 Mag, six or seven round
    Ruger GP100 3" .357 Mag.
    Ruger Alaskan .44 Mag.
    Ruger SP101 3" .357 Mag
    Kel-Tec PF9 or Ruger LC9 9mm
    .40 Caliber; anything not a brick

So, there you go. The official answer is 10.

Since it is OC....

My answer is: one for any weapon you would be "SEEN" carrying. I have several smaller handguns that are exclusively CC options. My .45ACPs can go CC or OC, so I have suitable holsters for each kind of carry. If I had other suitable "around the town" options, I would equip them as well. Somehow, OC with a Ruger LCR or LCP seems a bit nonsensical unless legally required.

I have 3 handguns that could be used for O.C.,

XD-40 = my primary (daily) O.C. firearm of choice

Taurus Judge w 6 1/2" barrel.. O.C. on "special occasions such as O.C. meets, and outdoor specific events..

Glock 27 Gen. 4 - actually my new (soon to be legal) C.C. handgun... I have open carried it just so we could get to know each other..

I have a Liberty (snap thumb release retention strap) (non-leather) holster w/ Mag pouch as part of holster (in front of the firearm). I use this holster for both the XD (fits perfect) as well as the Glock (kinda small in the holster but still easily accesible). I also have a nice little leather IWB holster for the Glock for when C.C. become legal (Nov. 2011)

The Judge has it's own specific (long) holster also non-leather with velcro thumb release retention strap...

All holsters are black in color..

Outdoorsman1

Edited to add... I suppose with a custom made holster I could OC the VMAC-10 (as it is classified as a handgun)... but it is a little heavy fully loaded... .45 Cal. w/ 30 round Mag...
    Last edited by Outdoorsman1; 07-15-2011 at 12:39 PM.
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Did you really ask how many guns someone should own? The universal answer is simple and never changes:

ONE MORE.

At least two (of both pistols & holsters), & IMO they should be identical so you can react quickly in an emergency.

Why two? Because if you're in a self-defense shooting, the one you used will most likely be taken by police & you won't see it for a while.

Or, as with some states/departments/officers, police may just not like seeing someone carry, so steal your pistol for yucks & chuckles.
    Check out the UT forum (title is something like "have you ever had this problem") where one guy describes a bunch of LEO harassing him, including handcuffing, merely for OC, then one officer says he's keeping the pistol & putting it in "gun time out". Yes, seriously.

Here's the thread: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...e-this-problem
    Last edited by MKEgal; 07-16-2011 at 12:51 AM.

No, No, No! You NEED a gun to match each pair of shoes you own ... seriously folks
    cheers - okboomer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way

Exercising my 2A Rights does NOT make me a CRIMINAL! Infringing on the exercise of those rights makes YOU one!

A different color for each outfit I wear. **just kiddin'**

1 BIG shiny pistol for work...
    and 1 TINY enough to fit under my cocktail dresses or inside my handbag.

I always wanted to own one of those gun cases with different varieties!!!

Cool

I generally only carry 1911's and I have a dozen or so, but see no need to be limited to that number.

So keeping that in mind, I am in the process of buying two more.
    Steve

"Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cava3r4 View Post
    Exactly what I was going to say.

I'm not rich, and I don't have an entire aresenal at my disposal. I have one pistol that I open carry (.38 spl wheelgun military/police) and it always sits in the same holster on the same spot on my belt. I don't have to guess or fumble. It's always in the same spot, and drawing and firing has become ingrained muscle memory from plenty of practice time at the range.

I used to have a PPK that I would conceal carry (same deal, one holster, same spot every time) but I sold it off to my brother-in-law about a year ago. Great little gun, but I didn't spend a lot of time with it at the range, and as a result couldn't hit the broad side of the barn with it. Decided I'd rather pack the firearm I could use proficiently.
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast