• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many open carry weapons should you own?

MKEgal

At least two (of both pistols & holsters), & IMO they should be identical so you can react quickly in an emergency.

Why two? Because if you're in a self-defense shooting, the one you used will most likely be taken by police & you won't see it for a while.

Or, as with some states/departments/officers, police may just not like seeing someone carry, so steal your pistol for yucks & chuckles.
Check out the UT forum (title is something like "have you ever had this problem") where one guy describes a bunch of LEO harassing him, including handcuffing, merely for OC, then one officer says he's keeping the pistol & putting it in "gun time out". Yes, seriously.

Here's the thread: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?92225-Anyone-ever-have-this-problem

Last edited:

S.Officer

A different color for each outfit I wear. **just kiddin'**

1 BIG shiny pistol for work...
and 1 TINY enough to fit under my cocktail dresses or inside my handbag.

I always wanted to own one of those gun cases with different varieties!!!

.45acp

I generally only carry 1911's and I have a dozen or so, but see no need to be limited to that number.

So keeping that in mind, I am in the process of buying two more.

frommycolddeadhands

The old saying I think holds true. "Beware of the man with only one gun" (he shoots it well is the implication)

Exactly what I was going to say.

I'm not rich, and I don't have an entire aresenal at my disposal. I have one pistol that I open carry (.38 spl wheelgun military/police) and it always sits in the same holster on the same spot on my belt. I don't have to guess or fumble. It's always in the same spot, and drawing and firing has become ingrained muscle memory from plenty of practice time at the range.

I used to have a PPK that I would conceal carry (same deal, one holster, same spot every time) but I sold it off to my brother-in-law about a year ago. Great little gun, but I didn't spend a lot of time with it at the range, and as a result couldn't hit the broad side of the barn with it. Decided I'd rather pack the firearm I could use proficiently.

markand

How many guns, and the type, brand and size, depend upon a number of personal factors, including how many you can afford to buy. I don't think you can have too many!

I like the advice "carry the largest gun in the largest defensive caliber you can shoot well and are willing to carry every day." A gun you are uncomfortable with, or is too large or heavy, is eventually going to get left in the safe, where it can do you no good.

I have heard very compelling arguments in favor of obtaining, at minimum, a second gun, very similar or identical to your main carry gun. If you ever use your gun in self defense, the police are going to take it from you as potential evidence in a crime they're investigating (the shooting you were just involved in). You may or may not ever get it back, even if you're never charged personally with a crime. Which is pretty bad timing, as the bad guy you've shot will probably have family or "business associates" who might decide to come looking for you. A second gun, that fits the same holster, uses the same magazines, same ammo, etc. makes sense. This isn't the time to adjust to a completely different type of gun, as in going from DA/SA semi-auto to revolver. If you're really paranoid, get a third identical gun and put it in a safe deposit box, or locked up at a relative's home or locker at a gun range. I didn't think such things were needed, but these days, who knows.

Sometimes, I can't carry the normal carry gun because of dress or other considerations. So I have several smaller guns in calibers from 9mm to .32 that will conceal very deeply and easily, no matter what I'm wearing.

For me, I'm willing to adjust my dress and obtain suitable clothing and enough guns to accommodate carrying everywhere its legal for me to do so.

rhoonah

like the old saying goes...

"Beware the man with one gun"

Even though it is fun to own and collect firearms, I stronly recommend that people carry only ONE gun so they can become proficient with its handling and use. If you carry the gun-du-jour, you will never really gain the level of competency that you want when potentially using it to save your life. I have several guns and love to shoot them at the range but I have one carry rig that I settled on after trying a few and I have one handgun that I carry all of the time.

WalkingWolf

Even though it is fun to own and collect firearms, I stronly recommend that people carry only ONE gun so they can become proficient with its handling and use. If you carry the gun-du-jour, you will never really gain the level of competency that you want when potentially using it to save your life. I have several guns and love to shoot them at the range but I have one carry rig that I settled on after trying a few and I have one handgun that I carry all of the time.

I have to agree with this for most people, especially those new to firearms. You do not want to be fumbling when your life is in danger. But with practice and time there are guns better suited to the carry situation at hand. If you have to conceal you need a gun that can be concealed comfortably. If you hike in bear country you need a gun that can stop a bear, or at least hinder it enough to get away. You would not want to hunt jack rabbits for dinner with the same gun used for the bear, well you can if you don't mind picking your meat up scattered. Actually carrying two guns when hiking or camping can put food on the table and save your life if need be. I usually carry a handgun and a rifle when out in the woods.

As far as caliber accuracy is much more important than size when encountering two legged varmints.

HandyHamlet

Even though it is fun to own and collect firearms, I stronly recommend that people carry only ONE gun so they can become proficient with its handling and use. If you carry the gun-du-jour, you will never really gain the level of competency that you want when potentially using it to save your life.

Bullsh*t.

Rock God Guitarists only use one guitar? Photographers only use one camera? Painters only use one brush? Tradesmen only use one tool? Pro Fishermen only use one Rod/lure? Chef uses only one pan? One Knife?

Just because you aren't capable of being proficient with multiple firearms does not mean others can't.

:)

WalkingWolf

Bullsh*t.

Rock God Guitarists only use one guitar? Photographers only use one camera? Painters only use one brush? Tradesmen only use one tool? Pro Fishermen only use one Rod/lure? Chef uses only one pan? One Knife?

Just because you aren't capable of being proficient with multiple firearms does not mean others can't.

It does not mean that others can either...Not to be argumentative I understand his point, and even some police depts see that same point, as well as the military. I see it both ways, that there is a tool for every purpose, and SD is a purpose. Same as when I was cutting meat, I had a knife for each task and used only that knife for the task. Considering that one slip could cost a finger it just made good common sense. Same with fishermen and photographers they have tools for specific purposes, and usually only use those tools they have set aside for that purpose.

But then I would not use a skillet to boil water either. :p

rhoonah

Bullsh*t.

Ok, first of all I was quoting a well known sentiment that goes back a long time. Secondly, your examples are totally irrelevant and only prove your ignorance (couple that with your BS quote only shows that you can't get a lucid point across without resorting to name calling and profanity). Please tell me how many guitarists put their life in the hands of a guitar? Painters in a brush or chefs in a single pan? I also don't generally choose my weapon of self defense by what "rock Gods" are playing these days.

And if you think for a second that you are equally proficient with your favorite gun and then one in my safe that you have never handled then your name should rival Ayoob and Miculek or you have probably never handled a gun before.

And I never said that a person can't be proficient with multiple firearms. I said that you can become MORE proficient with a single firearm since the manipulation of the action is the same everytime, the recoil is the same, the shot placement is the same, the grip is the same and you will have a higher comfort level. I am a software engineer and I can type on any keyboard but the keyboard that I use every day is the most familair to me and I typed this entire response without looking at the keys even once. If you can't see this simple concept as true and valid, well, I guess I don't really care what you do since there is no point in arguing with the closed minded.

Last edited:

rhoonah

I have to agree with this for most people, especially those new to firearms. You do not want to be fumbling when your life is in danger. But with practice and time there are guns better suited to the carry situation at hand. If you have to conceal you need a gun that can be concealed comfortably. If you hike in bear country you need a gun that can stop a bear, or at least hinder it enough to get away. You would not want to hunt jack rabbits for dinner with the same gun used for the bear, well you can if you don't mind picking your meat up scattered. Actually carrying two guns when hiking or camping can put food on the table and save your life if need be. I usually carry a handgun and a rifle when out in the woods.

As far as caliber accuracy is much more important than size when encountering two legged varmints.

I would completely agree with your analysis and obviously the "one gun" concept is aimed more at the casual carrier who takes the Glock today because he feels like it, then the 686 tomorrow because it matches his coat and then the Kimber the next day, etc. They are all comperable self defense guns but with VERY different handling, manipulation, etc. But clearly the situation would take precendence, like you suggested. I would opt out of my normal carry gun if I was walking a trail and bear or snake was a concern... ammo would be altered, etc.

Also your point about people being new to firearms is exactly the point since the original poster was new. Many make the mistake of buying a few different guns and then giving them all divided attention and then never learn a proficiency with any of them. They end up looking for the hammer release on their Glock because they last used the Sig and they fumble with the safety on the 1911 because the Glock has been carried for a few months, etc. Some get frustrated and walk from CC altogether where concentrating on a single firearm for a period of time would have built their confidence.

HandyHamlet

Ok, first of all I was quoting a well known sentiment that goes back a long time.

Cite?

Secondly, your examples are totally irrelevant and only prove your ignorance (couple that with your BS quote only shows that you can't get a lucid point across without resorting to name calling and profanity). Please tell me how many guitarists put their life in the hands of a guitar? Painters in a brush or chefs in a single pan? I also don't generally choose my weapon of self defense by what "rock Gods" are playing these days.

uh, Say what? What does a guitarist putting their life in the hands of their guitar have to do with anything???? Nice try though. Actually, not. That was a pretty lame and amateurish attempt at a smokescreen.

The obvious point you choose to overlook is that the examples I provide illustrate that people are proficient with more than one tool. A guitarist uses multiple guitars based on the sound he wants. Or the type of gig he plays. He is proficient in the use of more than one tool. A pistol is a tool.

And if you think for a second that you are equally proficient with your favorite gun and then one in my safe that you have never handled then your name should rival Ayoob and Miculek or you have probably never handled a gun before.

WTF does this have to do with anything?

And I never said...

Lie. You are giving advise based on your opinion over the internet.

I stronly recommend that people carry only ONE gun so they can become proficient with its handling and use.

And I simply say your opinion is BS. There is no reason why a person can not become equally proficient in multiple systems.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

And I simply say your opinion is BS. There is no reason why a person can not become equally proficient in multiple systems.

Why is anybody's opinion, let alone his BS? Now I am new to posting on here maybe there is some history behind this tension, care to explain? Otherwise I see two people going at it over opinions that are different. I happen to agree with him on this so is my opinion also BS? Maybe you can cite why yours is not, with some facts other than "Guitar Hero". Now if I sound a little miffed, well I am, I cannot understand this hostility, when we all should have similar goals.

WalkingWolf

Because humans are clever and can use more than one tool. At least the most evolved can.

And I wasn't hostile. I used a smiley face emoticon like this: :)

Awww I see the smiley face icon makes it ok, and very clever. There is also another saying about opinions, they are like (fill in blank) everybody has one. :p

HandyHamlet

Yep, that's what these things are for.

:p

And everyone has an opinion. Yours is just perpetuating a myth. Since my other examples are over your head I'll ask you this. Can you drive stick AND automatic? Motorcycle too? Some people can believe it or not. Have you bought a different vehicle or are you driving the same one since you were 16? Have you been using only one computer and operating system your entire life? Did you know that some people shoot semi-autos, wheel guns AND black powder?

Crazy I know.

;)

user

Accomplished Advocate
Are you a woman, or have you observed one, such that you know the routine about figuring out which necklace and earrings to wear? And then changing the mind about what clothes to wear because the first choice didn't go with the choice of jewelry?

I often feel like that, pawing through my boxes of holsters, and thinking, "Hmmm, whatever shall I wear?". Depends on where I'm going, and whether I have to dress up, and whether the people whom I'll be with are likely to be freaky about guns, etc. A night at the opera has different requirements from an OCDO "open-carry pic-nic".

WalkingWolf

Did you know that some people shoot semi-autos, wheel guns AND black powder?

Crazy I know.

;)

Yeah I do, I am one of them. Did you know that the US Military has a standard firearm? Did you know that before the military standardized the sidearm the USAF used a different sidearm from the rest of the services? Did you know that soldiers are only allowed to carry issued weapons on duty? Did you know the military has a standardized rifle? Now specialized units do use different weapons FOR specific reasons. Did you know that the vast majority of large, medium to small police depts require the use by officers of the same weapon as the whole dept carries? Did you know that some depts require that off duty officers carry the same weapon on duty? Did you know that some depts require officers who carry their own off duty weapon take training and qualify with that weapon and they can only carry that weapon off duty?

Did you know how foolish using a car compared to firearms is? But since you brought it up; Did you know that many depts as well as business companies issue vehicles to each person instead of having different operators for different vehicles? Trucking companies in particular. Did you know that mechanics have specific tools for a specific purpose and they will not lend their tools out, or borrow tools.

BTW how old are you?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Are you a woman, or have you observed one, such that you know the routine about figuring out which necklace and earrings to wear? And then changing the mind about what clothes to wear because the first choice didn't go with the choice of jewelry?

I often feel like that, pawing through my boxes of holsters, and thinking, "Hmmm, whatever shall I wear?". Depends on where I'm going, and whether I have to dress up, and whether the people whom I'll be with are likely to be freaky about guns, etc. A night at the opera has different requirements from an OCDO "open-carry pic-nic".

:lol: ok you owe me a keyboard :lol: