• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many open carry weapons should you own?

asullivangarner

This quote by hotrod8812 from another thread got me to thinking...

How many carry different weapon/holster combinations should one own/do you own...

My standard answer is, as with any tool, as many as you can afford AND be proficient at using properly.

I do not currently open carry, but if I ever do, it will be one weapon with "matching" holster, regardless of how many weapons I own.

asg

45acpForMe

I would say optimally you use the same type of holster for all your pistols so that drawing is the same each time. In reality not all manufacturers make holsters for every single model out there.

For example I use the SERPA retention holster for all my guns that Blackhawk makes one. My FNP-45 is not on their list yet so I use a leather holster for that. In the future if a SERPA holster becomes available for the FN I will buy it.

I personally have grown to dislike thumb safeties but on a 1911 you usually find one. :)

I also like buying models that reuse holsters. EG the Sig P220 and P226 fit the same SERPA and other holsters. The FNP-45 fits a Sig P220 holster. My USP and USP compact fit the same SERPA. I have a 1911 SERPA that I used for three different 1911's. Optimal is optimal but I know there will always be the exception. :)

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
My gun buying strategy is one of everything. One 9mm, one .40, one .357, one .45, one .380 etc., then I started buying doubles (or four 1911s :)) As many as you can afford. If you want to carry it, as many as you can afford to train with. I agree with using similar holster platforms as feasible.

JoeSparky

Centurion
This is a personal matter but my answer is "at least one more than the maximum limit placed upon me by law in ANY local, county, State, Federal, National, or INTERNATIONAL organization, political subdivision or agency!

Dreamer

I say you should own as many firearms as you can reasonably afford, and want.

As for holsters for different handguns, I would suggest that you pick a holster platform you like, and use it universally for all the guns you OC. Carrying different guns places a HUGE set of mental gymnastics on the carrier--which gun am I carrying, how does it's safety work, how does its manual of arms work for malfunctions, etc...

Adding a bunch of different holsters with WILDLY different retention mechanisms is just adding one more variable to an already complicated situation. As we've seen in the recently-posted video, making a mental mistake with a holster/firearm combination can lead to serious injury or worse.

KISS...

Cava3r4

I have more then one gun, but I only carry the 1911 in a comp-tac IWB all year in metro Phoenix.
The old saying I think holds true. "Beware of the man with only one gun" (he shoots it well is the implication)

I started carrying with a makarov and when I got the right holster and gun belt, that allowed me to move up to my full sized 45. I carry it 16/7
Bob

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have more then one gun, but I only carry the 1911 in a comp-tac IWB all year in metro Phoenix.
The old saying I think holds true. "Beware of the man with only one gun" (he shoots it well is the implication)

I started carrying with a makarov and when I got the right holster and gun belt, that allowed me to move up to my full sized 45. I carry it 16/7
Bob

You don't sleep with a gun in your holster on your special pajama pants belt like the rest of us? :)

asullivangarner

I had a feeling I was preaching to the choir...

I realize the purpose of this site is open carry, but that last thing anyone who appreciates the 2nd Amendment needs is another fool to add to the statistics of why all guns are bad!!!

Sonora Rebel

I have at least one holster for every type of handgun I own. Every handgun I own has been OC'd at some point or other. That's what they're for... to carry.

Freedom First

Well, I have four kids and one job so I have an exclusive OC package.

In plain english that means I only have one handgun for OC becuse my kids eat too much.:lol:

Last edited:

tcmech

One as a minimum. I have a few different types of guns and holsters, but till I am comfortable and proficient with one I will not carry it.

DWCook

Activist Member
I personally think you can own as many as you want just as long as your familiar or efficient with them all. Currently I'm going to be buying a Remington 870 shotgun here in a couple weeks just because its summer time and clay shooting is fun and sporty. Also shotgun ammo is a bit cheaper :) :) :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
"How many open carry weapons should you own?"

Well, lets count:

1911 full size
1911 commander size
S&W Model 66 3" .357 Mag
S&W Model 629 4" .44 Mag
S&W Model 686 3" or 4", .357 Mag, six or seven round
Ruger GP100 3" .357 Mag.
Ruger Alaskan .44 Mag.
Ruger SP101 3" .357 Mag
Kel-Tec PF9 or Ruger LC9 9mm
.40 Caliber; anything not a brick

So, there you go. The official answer is 10. :D

The Wolfhound

Since it is OC....

My answer is: one for any weapon you would be "SEEN" carrying. I have several smaller handguns that are exclusively CC options. My .45ACPs can go CC or OC, so I have suitable holsters for each kind of carry. If I had other suitable "around the town" options, I would equip them as well. Somehow, OC with a Ruger LCR or LCP seems a bit nonsensical unless legally required.

Outdoorsman1

I have 3 handguns that could be used for O.C.,

XD-40 = my primary (daily) O.C. firearm of choice

Taurus Judge w 6 1/2" barrel.. O.C. on "special occasions such as O.C. meets, and outdoor specific events..

Glock 27 Gen. 4 - actually my new (soon to be legal) C.C. handgun... I have open carried it just so we could get to know each other..

I have a Liberty (snap thumb release retention strap) (non-leather) holster w/ Mag pouch as part of holster (in front of the firearm). I use this holster for both the XD (fits perfect) as well as the Glock (kinda small in the holster but still easily accesible). I also have a nice little leather IWB holster for the Glock for when C.C. become legal (Nov. 2011)

The Judge has it's own specific (long) holster also non-leather with velcro thumb release retention strap...

All holsters are black in color..

Outdoorsman1

Edited to add... I suppose with a custom made holster I could OC the VMAC-10 (as it is classified as a handgun)... but it is a little heavy fully loaded... .45 Cal. w/ 30 round Mag...

Last edited:

cbpeck

Did you really ask how many guns someone should own? The universal answer is simple and never changes:

ONE MORE.

:banana::banana::banana: