Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does, "secured" mean, in the concealed-weapon statute?

What does, "secured" mean, in the concealed-weapon statute?

Here's a short memo I filed recently in a case that involved precisely that issue.
    The Commonwealth's Attorney moved the Court to nolle pros. the case
    (dismissal without prejudice), which was granted. The client gets his gun back.

http://virginialegaldefense.com/Stuf...ed_defined.pdf
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Interesting read, can't wait to hear novacops opinion on this.

Good work! It is good to know that Virginia law does not dictate that secured means locked. Thanks.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

First, I find it interesting that your memo did not make any reference to the fact that the bill that changed the code to allow for "secured in a container" was specifically changed by the Governor from "locked" to "secured" (and sent back for subsequent approval), which would seem to be the clearest of all indicators that the General Assembly did not mean "locked".

Second... I can't resist posting this old joke... Forgive me for straying off topic just a bit...

TFred

What does the term "secure" mean to a military organization? It all depends on which branch!

When directed to Secure a building:

The Army will post guards around the place.
    The Navy will turn out the lights and lock the doors.
    The Marines will kill everybody inside and set up a headquarters
    The Air Force will take out a 5 year lease with an option to buy.
    Last edited by TFred; 07-07-2011 at 12:48 PM.

If you are at liberty to share... are you saying that someone was arrested and charged for violating the Concealed Handgun law because they had not "locked" the gun in a container inside a car?

TFred

Good job, User. Your memo certainly rebuffs the claim that "secured" means "locked". I'm guessing that the next round will entail using your examples to show what "secured in a container or compartment" means.

18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel.

For example, if I remove my holstered HG from my belt and place it in the glove compartment as is, the entire package can still move around, and would not be "secured" because there is no restraining device attached to both the holster and the container which would restrict movement within the glove compartment, even though the gun cannot move within the holster. Now if I had a holster fastened inside the glove compartment and inserted the HG into it, then the gun would be "secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle". As a practical matter, the glove compartment in my wife's car is fairly full, leaving little room for my holstered HG to move around, so in this case, I'd claim it's secured. Also, when the vehicle is parked, there's little possibility of motion.

Now, if I put the holstered HG into an empty briefcase, or I put the HG into a holster attached inside the briefcase, then leave the briefcase on the seat...
    Last edited by 2a4all; 07-07-2011 at 01:16 PM.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Interesting read.
    A firearm in a holster that will not allow it to fall out (drop out without pulling) should satisfy the secured requirement especially if it on the belt.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    If you are at liberty to share... are you saying that someone was arrested and charged for violating the Concealed Handgun law because they had not "locked" the gun in a container inside a car?

TFred
    User mentioned this case a while back TFred.
    User will give details I hope but from memory it was in a factory case inside a backpack stored behind a truck seat...Something like that.

I'm interested in one thing Dan.

When this bill passed it said "Locked".
    McDonnell didn't sign it, he sent it back asking they change it to "secured".
    They did and sent it back to McDonnell who then signed it.

Legislative is rarely clear in Va but in this case it is clear that the GA did NOT mean locked after the revision.

Is there a reason you didn't point that out or did it just slip by?

Quote Originally Posted by altajava View Post
    interesting read, can't wait to hear novacops opinion on this.
    please don't wish for unpleasant things!

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post

Legislative is rarely clear in Va but in this case it is clear that the GA did NOT mean locked after the revision.

Ha ha, that's the exact same thing I asked (although with fewer words) in my first post!

TFred

Ha ha, that's the exact same thing I asked (although with fewer words) in my first post!

TFred
    Sorry... I'm fighting a problem clip in after effects and flipping between it and this page while the video renders

Sorry... I'm fighting a problem clip in after effects and flipping between it and this page while the video renders
    I wasn't complaining... great minds and all...

TFred

Fall out? That would be bad

Quote Originally Posted by Agent19 View Post
    Interesting read.
    A firearm in a holster that will not allow it to fall out (drop out without pulling) should satisfy the secured requirement especially if it on the belt.
    Kids are taught in (public) schools to respect the police; after all, they make great role models.

They set a good example, usually. Kids are taught to learn from cops; they know what they're doing.

Here is an example of a police-secured weapon:

Um, this would never happen in Virginia, right?

if I remove my holstered HG from my belt and place it in the glove compartment as is, the entire package can still move around, and would not be "secured" because there is no restraining device attached to both the holster and the container which would restrict movement within the glove compartment,
    It is indeed "secured" in that it cannot leave the compartment on its own. Read user's posted pdf, especially the example of the child seat. The child is indeed free to move within the confines of his seat in which he is secured, he is just not able to leave those confines unassisted. Secured need not mean "immobilized".
    Last edited by zoom6zoom; 07-07-2011 at 04:54 PM.

First, I find it interesting that your memo did not make any reference to the fact that the bill that changed the code to allow for "secured in a container" was specifically changed by the Governor from "locked" to "secured" (and sent back for subsequent approval), which would seem to be the clearest of all indicators that the General Assembly did not mean "locked"....
    and,

You're right, and I wish I could have done so. But legislative history, which is admissible in federal courts to prove what the intent of Congress had been in enacting specific legislation, is inadmissible in Virginia. The legislature is presumed to know how to write laws, and Virginia Courts will construe the language actually used in the statute as they understand it.
    Last edited by user; 07-07-2011 at 05:51 PM.

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

TFred
    That is correct. The gun was in a closed Glock bag, inside a closed knapsack, in a vehicle, and in the possession of a person otherwise lawfully entitled to be in possession of the handgun. Charge was carrying a concealed weapon.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    That is correct. The gun was in a closed Glock bag, inside a closed knapsack, in a vehicle, and in the possession of a person otherwise lawfully entitled to be in possession of the handgun. Charge was carrying a concealed weapon.
    user,

Question here - the statute says container or compartment in the vehicle. Do you think that the legislative intent was a container or compartment of the vehicle, like the glove compartment?

I ask because this was initially advertised (to my recollection) as being a way that someone could legally keep a handgun in their glove compartment without a CHP. I was kind of surprised when I read it to say IN.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

If it's not prying ...How did they find it?

Founder's Club Member
    Wow! Thanks, User. Great stuff!

$20 says he let them search the car.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

They stopped him for an improper lane change. Pulled him and his wife out of the truck. Put her on the curb and him behind the truck, and between the back of the truck and the cruiser. They asked him why he was nervous and he said it was because he had a gun in the car. Cop one was in the cruiser filling out the traffic ticket, when cop two slammed his hand on the hood of the cruiser and yelled, "Gun!". Cop two grabbed the client and pulled his hands back and handcuffed him, then threw him in the back of the cruiser. No request to search, no consent to search, cop two simply went ahead and did it. That's how he found the gun.

I was prepared to move to exclude the evidence on the ground that it was the product of an illegal search. Once they had the lad out of reach of the gun, and had only arrested him for an illegal lane change, they lacked probable cause to search and had no "officer safety" requirement.

The lad wanted to be a cop. I think he's changed his mind.

What does, "compartment" mean, in the concealed-weapon statute?

"...such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle..."

So, hypothetically speaking, the handgun could lawfully be secured between the seats, inside the passenger compartment of the vehicle; no?

Anyway, even if the statute said "locked," I'd just think that it meant "locked" as in "locked and loaded."

Quote Originally Posted by t33j View Post
    $20 says he let them search the car.
    ... No request to search, no consent to search, cop two simply went ahead and did it. That's how he found the gun.
    Contribute to Skidmark's Legal Fund. ...Go to http://tinyurl.com/3zf4x6s

TFred

(Now that there is funny, I don't care who you are!!)

Contribute to Skidmark's Legal Fund. ...Go to http://tinyurl.com/3zf4x6s

TFred

(Now that there is funny, I don't care who you are!!)
    Had to read that twice to figure out what you meant, telling the guy who bet $20 to give to Skid since he lost the bet.... well done.
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast