• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What does, "secured" mean, in the concealed-weapon statute?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Good work! It is good to know that Virginia law does not dictate that secured means locked. Thanks.

TFred

First, I find it interesting that your memo did not make any reference to the fact that the bill that changed the code to allow for "secured in a container" was specifically changed by the Governor from "locked" to "secured" (and sent back for subsequent approval), which would seem to be the clearest of all indicators that the General Assembly did not mean "locked".

Second... I can't resist posting this old joke... Forgive me for straying off topic just a bit... :D

TFred

What does the term "secure" mean to a military organization? It all depends on which branch!

When directed to Secure a building:

The Army will post guards around the place.
The Navy will turn out the lights and lock the doors.
The Marines will kill everybody inside and set up a headquarters
The Air Force will take out a 5 year lease with an option to buy.​

Last edited:

TFred

If you are at liberty to share... are you saying that someone was arrested and charged for violating the Concealed Handgun law because they had not "locked" the gun in a container inside a car?

TFred

2a4all

Good job, User. Your memo certainly rebuffs the claim that "secured" means "locked". I'm guessing that the next round will entail using your examples to show what "secured in a container or compartment" means.

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

10. Any person who may lawfully possess a firearm and is carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel.

For example, if I remove my holstered HG from my belt and place it in the glove compartment as is, the entire package can still move around, and would not be "secured" because there is no restraining device attached to both the holster and the container which would restrict movement within the glove compartment, even though the gun cannot move within the holster. Now if I had a holster fastened inside the glove compartment and inserted the HG into it, then the gun would be "secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle". As a practical matter, the glove compartment in my wife's car is fairly full, leaving little room for my holstered HG to move around, so in this case, I'd claim it's secured. Also, when the vehicle is parked, there's little possibility of motion.

Now, if I put the holstered HG into an empty briefcase, or I put the HG into a holster attached inside the briefcase, then leave the briefcase on the seat...

Last edited:

Marco

Interesting read.
A firearm in a holster that will not allow it to fall out (drop out without pulling) should satisfy the secured requirement especially if it on the belt. :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If you are at liberty to share... are you saying that someone was arrested and charged for violating the Concealed Handgun law because they had not "locked" the gun in a container inside a car?

TFred

User mentioned this case a while back TFred.
User will give details I hope but from memory it was in a factory case inside a backpack stored behind a truck seat...Something like that.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm interested in one thing Dan.

When this bill passed it said "Locked".
McDonnell didn't sign it, he sent it back asking they change it to "secured".
They did and sent it back to McDonnell who then signed it.

Legislative is rarely clear in Va but in this case it is clear that the GA did NOT mean locked after the revision.

Is there a reason you didn't point that out or did it just slip by?

TFred

Legislative is rarely clear in Va but in this case it is clear that the GA did NOT mean locked after the revision.

Ha ha, that's the exact same thing I asked (although with fewer words) in my first post! :)

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Ha ha, that's the exact same thing I asked (although with fewer words) in my first post! :)

TFred

Sorry...:cry: I'm fighting a problem clip in after effects and flipping between it and this page while the video renders:banghead:

Repeater

Fall out? That would be bad

Interesting read.
A firearm in a holster that will not allow it to fall out (drop out without pulling) should satisfy the secured requirement especially if it on the belt. :)

Kids are taught in (public) schools to respect the police; after all, they make great role models.

They set a good example, usually. Kids are taught to learn from cops; they know what they're doing.

Here is an example of a police-secured weapon:

1309278959-spdimage.jpeg

Um, this would never happen in Virginia, right?

zoom6zoom

if I remove my holstered HG from my belt and place it in the glove compartment as is, the entire package can still move around, and would not be "secured" because there is no restraining device attached to both the holster and the container which would restrict movement within the glove compartment,
It is indeed "secured" in that it cannot leave the compartment on its own. Read user's posted pdf, especially the example of the child seat. The child is indeed free to move within the confines of his seat in which he is secured, he is just not able to leave those confines unassisted. Secured need not mean "immobilized".

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
First, I find it interesting that your memo did not make any reference to the fact that the bill that changed the code to allow for "secured in a container" was specifically changed by the Governor from "locked" to "secured" (and sent back for subsequent approval), which would seem to be the clearest of all indicators that the General Assembly did not mean "locked"....

and,

You're right, and I wish I could have done so. But legislative history, which is admissible in federal courts to prove what the intent of Congress had been in enacting specific legislation, is inadmissible in Virginia. The legislature is presumed to know how to write laws, and Virginia Courts will construe the language actually used in the statute as they understand it.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate

TFred

That is correct. The gun was in a closed Glock bag, inside a closed knapsack, in a vehicle, and in the possession of a person otherwise lawfully entitled to be in possession of the handgun. Charge was carrying a concealed weapon.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
That is correct. The gun was in a closed Glock bag, inside a closed knapsack, in a vehicle, and in the possession of a person otherwise lawfully entitled to be in possession of the handgun. Charge was carrying a concealed weapon.

user,

Question here - the statute says container or compartment in the vehicle. Do you think that the legislative intent was a container or compartment of the vehicle, like the glove compartment?

I ask because this was initially advertised (to my recollection) as being a way that someone could legally keep a handgun in their glove compartment without a CHP. I was kind of surprised when I read it to say IN.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

If it's not prying ...How did they find it?