Thread: richmond hieghts short

richmond hieghts short

i went to richmond heights yesterday to bring my mom to a doctors apointment. i looked in the city ordanances and could see an OC ban. Just to be safe I went to the richmond heights police station and asked an officer. he told me " no there is no ordanace.... but is it frowned upon yes." he also told me that officers responding to an MWAG could "construe a disorderly conduct charge". I OCed anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    construe [kənˈstruː]
    vb -strues, -struing, -strued (mainly tr)
    1. to interpret the meaning of (something) you can construe that in different ways
    2. (may take a clause as object) to discover by inference; deduce
    3. (Linguistics / Grammar) to analyse the grammatical structure of; parse (esp a Latin or Greek text as a preliminary to translation)
    4. (Linguistics / Grammar) to combine (words) syntactically
    5. (also intr) Old-fashioned to translate literally, esp aloud as an academic exercise

Im not quite understanding how the officers responding can "construe" a disorderly conduct charge, based on the definition of the word, I think the word the officer was looking for was Fabricate.Its just a prime example of how SOME LEO's enforce Missouri Statutes and City Ordinances on how they see fit, not as the laws are written...
    Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
    Psalm 144:2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. Pro 14:15 The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Quote Originally Posted by Richieg150 View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    construe [kənˈstruː]
    vb -strues, -struing, -strued (mainly tr)
    1. to interpret the meaning of (something) you can construe that in different ways
    2. (may take a clause as object) to discover by inference; deduce
    3. (Linguistics / Grammar) to analyse the grammatical structure of; parse (esp a Latin or Greek text as a preliminary to translation)
    4. (Linguistics / Grammar) to combine (words) syntactically
    5. (also intr) Old-fashioned to translate literally, esp aloud as an academic exercise

Im not quite understanding how the officers responding can "construe" a disorderly conduct charge, based on the definition of the word, I think the word the officer was looking for was Fabricate.Its just a prime example of how SOME LEO's enforce Missouri Statutes and City Ordinances on how they see fit, not as the laws are written...
    Construe is the realm of judges who are hired to interpret the law. Police merely "enforce" the law. If an LEO "construes" he has overstepped his authority under color of law and should be disciplined or fired or prosecuted.

Regular Member sohighlyunlikely's Avatar

Stretch

I have gotten this threat from other PD's as well. None have followed though with it. Because as the law is written is a big stretch to use for a person legally carrying a firearm. I have found several occasions that this tactic was actually deployed and the OCer filed suit. The cities have had to pay out of pocket for their abuse of citizens rights.

Doc