Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preparation for WI concealed carry is gonna be painful... (kinda)

Preparation for WI concealed carry is gonna be painful... (kinda)

Well, I already plan on mainly carrying my EMP for concealment, but is 1 ever enough?

what if I am wearing lighter clothing?
    what if I am in dress clothes?
    what if my holster doesnt match my shoes?!

(that's what was presented to the wife )

So I bought a backup gun. I'm pretty excited to put some rounds down range, but after messing with it some more around the house, I think it will fit in just fine.

Last edited by apierce918; 07-07-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Bought the same gun back in March in anticipation of CC. Great gun. Love mine. Not bad for a backup or a main carry. Don't let anyone tell you a .380 has no stopping power. I havn't found any volunteers to take a shot from one. Plus its much more effective then the .45 you left in your dresser back at home. After watching some Speer gold dots tear up some ballistic gel I was convinced and would trust my life to it.

I've got one of those too I call it my suit and slacks piece. Wish the mags were more reasonably priced, nothing special about them other than they're hard to find.

I don't understand why I hear people talking bad about .380s. I have had so many people including dealers tell me they are too small. I have fired them a few times and no I don't want to be the person in the way of one. Looking at picking up a walther for my own back up.

It's a bunch of dudes on the internet.

No matter what you say there will be blood.

"Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Nice gun! Buffalo Bore .380 Auto +P Ammo - 100 gr. Hardcast F.N. (1150fps/ M.E. 294 ft. lbs.) is reputed to be the most effective self-defense .380 round.
    Last edited by davegran; 07-07-2011 at 07:16 PM.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Get a Crossbreed Supertuck. I have carried my full size FNP-40 in dress clothes with the shirt tucked in. You can't see a thing. Plus the holster work for most outfits you might wear.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post
    Nice gun! Buffalo Bore .380 Auto +P Ammo - 100 gr. Hardcast F.N. (1150fps/ M.E. 294 ft. lbs.) is reputed to be the most effective self-defense .380 round.
    I might use that in my Beretta 84 or my Bersa Thunder... but not in my Kel-Tec P3AT. I've got Corbon self-defense loads in the P3AT... and they hurt. 100gr at 1,150? Ouch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Get a Crossbreed Supertuck. I have carried my full size FNP-40 in dress clothes with the shirt tucked in. You can't see a thing. Plus the holster work for most outfits you might wear.
    I had one of those with my XD, I have filled out some and dont want another IWB holster and have to get new pants again, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    Bought the same gun back in March in anticipation of CC. Great gun. Love mine. Not bad for a backup or a main carry. Don't let anyone tell you a .380 has no stopping power. I havn't found any volunteers to take a shot from one. Plus its much more effective then the .45 you left in your dresser back at home. After watching some Speer gold dots tear up some ballistic gel I was convinced and would trust my life to it.
    .380 doesn't do much. Barely any penetration.

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by safcrkr View Post
    I might use that in my Beretta 84 or my Bersa Thunder... but not in my Kel-Tec P3AT. I've got Corbon self-defense loads in the P3AT... and they hurt. 100gr at 1,150? Ouch!!!
    "Ouch" will be the last word of the bad guy with that load....
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Quote Originally Posted by safcrkr View Post
    A box of those through the S&W would leave you just like that, ouch. Soar hand the next day the gun is so thin. I usually shoot the Remington Express 95gr and load the Speer Gold Dot for desk duty.

Isn't the p3at only rated for shooting +p occasionally? Not sure I'd want to dump the BB through one regularly just because of that.

Preparing for CC will be painful in the pocketbook for a lot of people. I can't believe the amount of people I know who have plenty of suitable pistols... and not a single decent holster. My main carry guns will be Glock 19 and Springfield Ultra Compact 1911. I've got a Crossbreed Supertuck and a Blackhawk Serpa for the G19, and a Galco PLE paddle for the 1911... but that's because I've been CCing in other states for 8 years now.

But I'm kinda short on holsters myself for a few guns I might carry (P3AT, Kel Tec P11, Beretta 84, full-size Colt 1991). Finding holsters for certain "non-popular" pistols in a LH version is impossible. So I'm going to start making my own. I ordered some kydex from knivekits.com, along with some screws and rivets, and I bought some sheets of leather at a flea market last week. Today I built a kydex "press", and bought a $20 toaster oven at Walmart to heat it to a pliable form. Just waiting for my kydex to arrive tomorrow, so I can build a "crossbreed" type LH holster for my Kel-Tec P11, and also one for my Ultra Compact 1911. Also going to "experiment" with a small LH holster for the K-T P3AT, with a secure belt clip, like my cellphone holster. I've got a Nemesis pocket holster for it, but I've got enough crap in my pockets, and taking it out while sitting is impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    .380 doesn't do much. Barely any penetration.

You didn't watch the 2nd vid you posted. 16" of penetration. Granted it didn't hit bone like the Hornady did, but it did go thru four layers of denim. Also these are hollow points. They are made to expand and stop in the body, not shoot thru it.

I like ankle holsters for my bug

Hmm I don't like bugs on my ankles...actually I don't like bugs anywhere
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    You didn't watch the 2nd vid you posted. 16" of penetration. Granted it didn't hit bone like the Hornady did, but it did go thru four layers of denim. Also these are hollow points. They are made to expand and stop in the body, not shoot thru it.
    I did. Look at the third round. It did not expand very well. The expansion was not consistent between all three rounds shot.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

I did. Look at the third round. It did not expand very well. The expansion was not consistent between all three rounds shot.
    WOW, that first video, you sure have put on a few pounds since then. Hardly recognized you boar out.
    The purpose of fighting is to win,
    there is no victory in defense.
    The sword is more important than the shield,
    and skill is more important than either.
    The final weapon is the brain,
    all else is supplemental.

.380 worked just fine for that Milwaukee tow truck driver getting robbed by 2 BG'S on 93st and silver spring rd.

Your right that round would just tickle and bounce off. BANG! Tee-Hee!

I have shot a lot of different hollow points, mostly in .40 and .45, and if there is one thing I know it is that none are 100% consistent, and a youtube video isnt going to sway me one way or the other.

heck, take all of these backyard tests and combine 2, 3, or 4 of their shots, and then take a look at the accumulative damage and tell me its not enough.

the hornady round that broke a rib and went in a couple inches breaking apart was one shot. Now if you are in a situation that is bad enough for you to shoot once, its worth shooting twice, what about a round that makes it between the ribs?

Either way, If I wasnt comfortable with .380, I wouldnt have bought it... but I'm not really willing to get shot with anything so what do I know

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    It's a bunch of dudes on the internet.

No matter what you say there will be blood.

YEAH; yours, if you don't unhand my wife and quit smackin my turtles around Mr. Pompadour...
    Bale da Hay

"Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"

Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

Havamal (Bellows translation)

Quote Originally Posted by Lurchiron View Post
    YEAH; yours, if you don't unhand my wife and quit smackin my turtles around Mr. Pompadour...
    It only took about 4 posts to degenerate into the same old .380 argument. Anyone who buys a pistol based on caliber is a chump with a capitol "C" anyway. The only real caliber to carry, concealed or otherwise, is Ex-calibur.

I would like to unhand your wife Sir. Just as soon as she is done smacking my turtle. And don't touch the hair. Seriously.

Last edited by HandyHamlet; 07-08-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    It only took about 4 posts to degenerate into the same old .380 argument. Anyone who buys a pistol based on caliber is a chump with a capitol "C" anyway. The only real caliber to carry, concealed or otherwise, is Ex-calibur.

I would like to unhand your wife Sir. Just as soon as she is done smacking my turtle. And don't touch the hair. Seriously.

I always buy my guns, based on my wallet; how 'bout you???

Attachment 6238 Ugghh; now where the Hel is that Chiropractor???
    Bale da Hay

Quote Originally Posted by apierce918 View Post
    I have shot a lot of different hollow points, mostly in .40 and .45, and if there is one thing I know it is that none are 100% consistent, and a youtube video isnt going to sway me one way or the other.

heck, take all of these backyard tests and combine 2, 3, or 4 of their shots, and then take a look at the accumulative damage and tell me its not enough.

the hornady round that broke a rib and went in a couple inches breaking apart was one shot. Now if you are in a situation that is bad enough for you to shoot once, its worth shooting twice, what about a round that makes it between the ribs?

Either way, If I wasnt comfortable with .380, I wouldnt have bought it... but I'm not really willing to get shot with anything so what do I know
    I got shot with a BB gun once; it didn't make me want to run out and get shot by a pellet gun in order to compare...Just sayin
    Bale da Hay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast