• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Preparation for WI concealed carry is gonna be painful... (kinda)

apierce918

I have shot a lot of different hollow points, mostly in .40 and .45, and if there is one thing I know it is that none are 100% consistent, and a youtube video isnt going to sway me one way or the other.

heck, take all of these backyard tests and combine 2, 3, or 4 of their shots, and then take a look at the accumulative damage and tell me its not enough.

the hornady round that broke a rib and went in a couple inches breaking apart was one shot. Now if you are in a situation that is bad enough for you to shoot once, its worth shooting twice, what about a round that makes it between the ribs?

Either way, If I wasnt comfortable with .380, I wouldnt have bought it... but I'm not really willing to get shot with anything so what do I know

Lurchiron

It's a bunch of dudes on the internet.

No matter what you say there will be blood.

201010181029.jpg

YEAH; yours, if you don't unhand my wife and quit smackin my turtles around Mr. Pompadour...:lol:

HandyHamlet

YEAH; yours, if you don't unhand my wife and quit smackin my turtles around Mr. Pompadour...:lol:

It only took about 4 posts to degenerate into the same old .380 argument. Anyone who buys a pistol based on caliber is a chump with a capitol "C" anyway. The only real caliber to carry, concealed or otherwise, is Ex-calibur.

I would like to unhand your wife Sir. Just as soon as she is done smacking my turtle. And don't touch the hair. Seriously.

[video=youtube;X1hgwIPSkDU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1hgwIPSkDU[/video]

Last edited:

Lurchiron

It only took about 4 posts to degenerate into the same old .380 argument. Anyone who buys a pistol based on caliber is a chump with a capitol "C" anyway. The only real caliber to carry, concealed or otherwise, is Ex-calibur.

I would like to unhand your wife Sir. Just as soon as she is done smacking my turtle. And don't touch the hair. Seriously.

[video=youtube;X1hgwIPSkDU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1hgwIPSkDU[/video]

:D:lol::) I always buy my guns, based on my wallet; how 'bout you???

View attachment 6238 Ugghh; now where the Hel is that Chiropractor???

Lurchiron

I have shot a lot of different hollow points, mostly in .40 and .45, and if there is one thing I know it is that none are 100% consistent, and a youtube video isnt going to sway me one way or the other.

heck, take all of these backyard tests and combine 2, 3, or 4 of their shots, and then take a look at the accumulative damage and tell me its not enough.

the hornady round that broke a rib and went in a couple inches breaking apart was one shot. Now if you are in a situation that is bad enough for you to shoot once, its worth shooting twice, what about a round that makes it between the ribs?

Either way, If I wasnt comfortable with .380, I wouldnt have bought it... but I'm not really willing to get shot with anything so what do I know

I got shot with a BB gun once; it didn't make me want to run out and get shot by a pellet gun in order to compare...Just sayin :D

jpm84092

Accuracy over Caliber

It is much more about what you can be accurate with (particularly under stress) than what caliber you carry. A .22LR that hits center of mass each time is much better than a 9mm or .45 that misses. (Just ask the Cops who often shoot many more rounds than they would have needed to if they had actually hit their targets.)

The "pocket guns" are very hard to shoot accurately unless you have trained on them. When I qualified in Nevada with a Kel-Tec P-32 my instructor, an NRA Training Counselor, remarked that I was the first person he has ever seen shoot better than a 210 (I shot a 260) on a B-27 law enforcement target at the required Nevada distances (same for Phase 1 TSA and FBI qualification, except untimed). Small pocket guns offer challenges to hold control and aiming. If a larger gun works better for you, carry it and adjust your dress for concealment.

My advice - train with a competent and appropriately certified instructor and then practice, practice, and more practice.

oak1971

My "mouse" gun is an all stainless Kahr MK 9 Elite. Not a fan of plastic mouse guns. I will gladly deal with extra weight in exchange for the dampening properties of steel.

hermannr

Just because you have a CC permit, does not mean the weapon must be concealed. You can take advantage of all the preferences the premit gives you, and still OC, There is nothing inherently "wrong" with OC. The CC bill only gives you some protection (that should not be needed) when carrying.

It is much better to carry a weapon you cannot conceal because of size, that you shoot well, then beat yourself with a weapon that is physically too small and too light that you can barely control because it is so small. My first pistol was a Ruger Bearcat, the grips were way to small to get a good hold...good for kids to lean with, and it did not even kick...