• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So permits are "Shall Issue" Correct?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
The handgun issue is irrelevant.

You will get a background check when you apply for the license.

You don't even need to own a gun to get a permit. It's a concealed weapons permit, not specifically a concealed handgun permit. One might get the permit in order to carry a knife or other covered weapon. Covered in more ways than one!

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
The background check is on you, not your guns.

And boy am I glad for that!
My guns are always being naughty; constantly fighting for my attention, getting dirty, kicking me, eating all my ammunition and flinging hot brass at innocent bystanders. They sometimes even allow themselves to be handled by another man!

If they had a background check, who knows what would be dug up. Decimation of innocent animals? I shudder even thinking about it.:eek:

Mlutz

Your edit cleared it up. Lol. I wasn't talking about private party sales. They do a background check on you when you apply. It doesn't matter if you buy a new firearm the day you send in your info.

Mr. GUNderson

Decimation of innocent animals? I shudder even thinking about it.:eek:

Heh heh... Many a varmint has met his maker at the end of my or my sons Marlin .22 :lol: But in my defense, they were askin for it standin there all target like! also, they did not have permision to be on my property, and I warned em'! :D

Last edited:

Ruby

You don't even need to own a gun to get a permit. It's a concealed weapons permit, not specifically a concealed handgun permit. One might get the permit in order to carry a knife or other covered weapon. Covered in more ways than one!

It depends on the state you reside in. Here in Washington state, you do not need to own a gun to get a CPL (concealed pistol license) but it is specific to handguns only. Knives or other weapons are NOT covered by the CPL. I had mine before I bought my first handgun. It speeds up the process and I was able to take the gun with me that day instead of having to wait for a background check.

Teej

Ok.. Is it written somewhere exactly when the applications for the permit will be available.... ?????

Outdoorsman1

Yes. In some of the plainest language in the bill.

(2m) License document; content of license. (a) Subject to pars. (b), (bm), (c), and (d), the department shall design a single license document for licenses issued and renewed under this section. The department shall complete the design of the license document no later than the first day of the 2nd month beginning after the effective date of this paragraph .... [LRB inserts date].

So expect them no later than 9/1.

Although I guess I am making the assumption that they'll be published when they're finished being "designed"....Hmmm.

As I said in another thread, those of us who file early should have them before they become valid.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

Teej
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman1
Ok.. Is it written somewhere exactly when the applications for the permit will be available.... ?????

Outdoorsman1
Yes. In some of the plainest language in the bill.

(2m) License document; content of license. (a) Subject to pars. (b), (bm), (c), and (d), the department shall design a single license document for licenses issued and renewed under this section. The department shall complete the design of the license document no later than the first day of the 2nd month beginning after the effective date of this paragraph .... [LRB inserts date].
So expect them no later than 9/1.

Although I guess I am making the assumption that they'll be published when they're finished being "designed"....Hmmm.

As I said in another thread, those of us who file early should have them before they become valid.

Responce....

The above paragraph seems to discribe the actual "License document" (or Permit)... my question was refering to the application for the permit... Not the actual permit itself...

I suppose the application might not be available until the permit design is complete but I was thinking, thee earlier we can send it the application, the sooner we get on the list when the actual permits become available in Nov....

Outdoorsman1

Last edited:

Teej

Sorry. Wrong section of similar language. When I pasted the previous comment, I had just looked for "2nd month" in the text and grabbed the sentence without reading it. :p

(5) Application and renewal forms. (a) The department shall design an application form for use by individuals who apply for a license under this section and a renewal form for use by individuals applying for renewal of a license under sub. (15). The department shall complete the design of the application form no later than the first day of the 2nd month beginning after the effective date of this paragraph .... [LRB inserts date],

Last edited:

Outdoorsman1

Sorry. Wrong section of similar language. When I pasted the previous comment, I had just looked for "2nd month" in the text and grabbed the sentence without reading it. :p

5) Application and renewal forms. (a) The department shall design an application form for use by individuals who apply for a license under this section and a renewal form for use by individuals applying for renewal of a license under sub. (15). The department shall complete the design of the application form no later than the first day of the 2nd month beginning after the effective date of this paragraph .... [LRB inserts date],

Thanks...

Outdoorsman1

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Working on a jigsaw puzzle made with sausage....

I brought together some language from different sources to try to clarify the effective dates:
175.60 License to carry a concealed weapon.
(5) APPLICATION AND RENEWAL FORMS. (a) The
department shall design an application form for use by
individuals who apply for a license under this section and
a renewal form for use by individuals applying for
renewal of a license under sub. (15). The department
shall complete the design of the application form no later
than the first day of the 2nd month beginning after the
effective date of this paragraph .... [LRB inserts date], -+*

* Section 991.11, WISCONSIN STATUTES 2009−10 : Effective date of acts. “Every act and every portion of an act enacted by the legislature over the governor’s partial veto which does not expressly prescribe the time when it takes effect shall take effect on the day after its date of publication as designated” by the secretary of state [the date of publication may not be more than 10 working days after the date of enactment].

Section 35.095 Acts. (1) DEFINITIONS. In this section:
(a) “Date of enactment” means the day on which a bill becomes an act through approval by the governor, passage over the governor’s veto or failure of the governor to act on it or the day on which a portion of a bill which has been vetoed in part is enacted over the governor’s partial veto.
(b) “Date of publication” means the date designated by the secretary of state under sub. (3).

sub. (3) PUBLICATION. (a) The legislative reference bureau shall publish every act and every portion of an act which is enacted by the legislature over the governor’s partial veto within 10 working days after its date of enactment.
(b) The secretary of state shall designate a date of publication for each act and every portion of an act which is enacted by the legislature over the governor’s partial veto. The date of publication may not be more than 10 working days after the date of enactment.
It's like working on a jigsaw puzzle....

davegran

Let me hear a Hallelujah!

I brought together some language from different sources to try to clarify the effective dates:It's like working on a jigsaw puzzle....
So, according to the language:

1. The Governor signs it on July 8th, 2011.
  2. Ten working days from the 8th = July 22nd, 2011 = last possible date of publication.
  3. One day after the date of publication = July 25th, 2011.
  4. The first day of the 2nd month beginning after the effective date of this paragraph = September 1, 2011.
Therefore, since
(5) APPLICATION AND RENEWAL FORMS. (a) The
department shall design an application form for use by
individuals who apply for a license under this section and
a renewal form for use by individuals applying for
renewal of a license under sub. (15). The department
shall complete the design of the application form no later
than the first day of the 2nd month beginning after the
effective date of this paragraph
According to law, the design of the application form will be completed by 9-1-11 at the latest, and should be available the next day! Let me hear a Hallelujah! :banana:

paul@paul-fisher.com

I read somewhere that the LRB is questioning our calculations. I am hoping it is just a rumor but someone said that the normal interpretation on '2nd month' and '4th month' mean 'after 2 full months, the 1st of the month' and 'after 4 full months, the 1st of the month'. If so, 10/1 for the application and 12/1 for the effective date.

We shall find out for sure next week when the LRB actually inserts the real dates.

davegran

No problemo....

I read somewhere that the LRB is questioning our calculations....

1. The LRB works for the citizens of Wisconsin, right?
  2. I'm a citizen of Wisconsin, so the LRB works for me, right?
  3. When you work for somebody, you do what they tell you, right?
  4. I'm telling the LRB that it's 9/1 for the application and 11/1 for the effective date.
Problem solved!
2w2gf0p.jpg