• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Started the new job today...NOTHING in the empoyee handbook re. CC/OC...

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Congrats. I would double check with somebody. Most places have an anonymous number you can call to ask questions. You don't want to get fired before you get paid. If they really have no policy, congrats on finding a job that actually lets you carry. 99% of businesses don't allow it.

markush

I would double check with somebody. Most places have an anonymous number you can call to ask questions.

HaHa..Hey we got an anonymous call saying there is nothing in the handbook disallowing carry of guns...quick, make a new handbook!!

I would not double check with anybody! If you are certain it is not in any literature you received when hired, that's that!

Last edited:

lockman

State Researcher
Congrats. I would double check with somebody. Most places have an anonymous number you can call to ask questions. You don't want to get fired before you get paid. If they really have no policy, congrats on finding a job that actually lets you carry. 99% of businesses don't allow it.

I would not ask. Asking may result in either being told no or the next handbook may have such a rule. Let the issue be brought up by your employer if at all.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I would not ask. Asking may result in either being told no or the next handbook may have such a rule. Let the issue be brought up by your employer if at all.

Just because it is not in the handbook doesn't mean it's not a policy. I wouldn't want to be told no but I wouldn't want to get fired for violating some obscure "workplace violence" policy. I just got hired at a new job as well, nothing in the handbook. However when I looked on their internal "internet" they had a policy and it was a first-time termination offense. I see why calling might not be a good idea but at least do a little more research before carrying.

Mlutz

Our handbook says "no weapons on company property" not even in your own car... But... That's all about to change. :)

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
My company has two handbooks.........

An hourly employee handbook which bans weapons and a salaried employee handbook that is silent on the issue. I'm salaried. I'm going to talk to them about it and mention the liability stuff and see what they say.

If you read the bill it seems that they only need to allow 1 employee to carry in order to get the liability protection. They may pull something like that but who knows. I'd feel a lot safer if we had at least a few people armed around here in case some fired worker comes around if you know what I mean.

smithman

Our handbook says "no weapons on company property" not even in your own car... But... That's all about to change. :)

If somebody thinks some employees respect my company's no weapons police on company property, they are wrong. It's not enforceable with any criminal penalty. How much infringement of rights will somebody tolerate? This will limit you from carrying anywhere after work hours too when running errands!

MilProGuy

Just because it is not in the handbook doesn't mean it's not a policy. I wouldn't want to be told no but I wouldn't want to get fired for violating some obscure "workplace violence" policy. I just got hired at a new job as well, nothing in the handbook. However when I looked on their internal "internet" they had a policy and it was a first-time termination offense. I see why calling might not be a good idea but at least do a little more research before carrying.

I tend to agree with thebigsd.

There is no need of risking a termination during your first few days or weeks on a new job, and then having the termination follow you on your employment records the rest of your career.

I would definitely ask my employer if he/she has a policy against the carry of a concealed weapon.

hermannr

What you are given in the employee handbook is what you, and they, have to live with. If the handbook you were given does not state a weapons policy, and they have a weapons policy, they cannot apply it to you. You were not formally informed.

There is no way they can legally do anything but tell you to leave the gun at home. It would be "wrongful dismissal" suit time if they tried to fire you over something they did not ell you, personally, you could not do. This includes senior executive "at will" contracts.

Forget what they have posted on the web site, YOUR handbook is YOUR rules. I have been a grunt hourly employee, a salaried empoyee, and a business owner...that the exempt and non-exempt handbooks are different is not by accident...

Mlutz

If somebody thinks some employees respect my company's no weapons police on company property, they are wrong. It's not enforceable with any criminal penalty. How much infringement of rights will somebody tolerate? This will limit you from carrying anywhere after work hours too when running errands!

I agree. Hunting season rolls around, and I can promise there are firearms on the property. I did however have a pro 2a supervisor tell me I should have my firearm in my truck...

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
What you are given in the employee handbook is what you, and they, have to live with. If the handbook you were given does not state a weapons policy, and they have a weapons policy, they cannot apply it to you. You were not formally informed.

There is no way they can legally do anything but tell you to leave the gun at home. It would be "wrongful dismissal" suit time if they tried to fire you over something they did not ell you, personally, you could not do. This includes senior executive "at will" contracts.

Forget what they have posted on the web site, YOUR handbook is YOUR rules. I have been a grunt hourly employee, a salaried empoyee, and a business owner...that the exempt and non-exempt handbooks are different is not by accident...

Not necessarily true. Handbooks are just that. They are intended to introduce new employees to the company and give them badic information about how the company operates. No handbook tells you everything you need to know for the job, i.e. You learn from experience. A company is not required to put everything in the handbook and they can enforce any policy they wish as long as you had access to it. Whether employees choose to read every policy is a different story. The company I work for has about twenty policies covered in their handbook. They have an additional 50-60 policies that employees are expected to follow. I stand by my statement to do a little research before carrying.

hermannr

Not necessarily true. Handbooks are just that. They are intended to introduce new employees to the company and give them badic information about how the company operates. No handbook tells you everything you need to know for the job, i.e. You learn from experience. A company is not required to put everything in the handbook and they can enforce any policy they wish as long as you had access to it. Whether employees choose to read every policy is a different story. The company I work for has about twenty policies covered in their handbook. They have an additional 50-60 policies that employees are expected to follow. I stand by my statement to do a little research before carrying.

OK, I will broach my statement with "here in WA" what you use and put out and employee handbook, and you have terms and conditions of employment...if you decide to change those terms and conditions, you MUST change the handbook and issue the new or changed sections to all employees...Been there,,,had to do that. If the person is not advised of prohibited activity that could potentially cause the employees dismissal, in writing, it isn't prohibited. The company cannot just fire a person without cause without legal liability reprocussions... This includes any "probationary" (up to 6 months) period.

The only workaround for the employer is to use a temp service, then the "employer" with liability is actually the temp service, not the company contracting with the temp service. That is why temps are so popular out here. You can basically hire a worker by the day, for years.... Then if you really want to perminently hire the person, you already know what you are getting.

Last edited: