Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Creates Anti-gunners?

Lightbulb Open Carry Creates Anti-gunners?

Apparently it depends who you ask. I was way up in Northern NH last weekend, and did some target shooting. I brought up the topic of Open Carry with a local and he said that open carry creates more anti gunners than supporters of the right to carry both concealed or openly. He also stated that he was a retired NH state police officer. (Apparently I have a problem with running into retired cops, Seebrook Sam's Club?) He wasn't up for a debate, but I didn't agree with his statement. He basically said it just creates more trouble, but I told him that's the problem. People have become so accustomed to not seeing people carrying guns, and being spoon fed the lies the media spits out, that when they see someone like me carrying a gun, they freak out and make a B-line for the nearest cop, manager, etc. I pointed to the southern part of the country where guns are more common and accepted than here in the north, and where people don't get as scared of guns because they are more of a part of southern life in America. Not long after that we wrapped things up and went our separate ways, and yes I left with my gun still being displayed openly in it's holster.

Opinions?

Jon

I think open carry garners more support generally speaking. In all the time I have OC'ed I have had one negative encounter. On the other hand I have had probably ten positive encounters and numerous chances to tell people about why I OC.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

OC Worries...

I have to agree with BigSd...

I have to say my good interactions are 20 or 25 to 1 for bad interactions and most of the "Bad" interactions are usually nothing more then a dirty look.

OC is becoming "More Normal" then it used to be. Just like you said, the more people who see it, the more they will become used to it.

Carry On...!!!

Yesterday I was at the Town Dump (Transfer Station) in Swanzey, NH, I unloaded what I had and this guy comes over to me and tells me, "The next time you come in here leave the weapon in the truck". I just looked at him and said, "Yeah Right", and went on my way.

Yes sir... here of late we've all been getting hammered by the anti-gun folks. Why, just look at this here chart...

:rollseyes:
    While many claim to support the right to keep and bear arms, precious few support the practice.

Howdy!
    Maybe I'm a late bloomer, but I have not yet had a negative encounter with anybody. I've been asked why I am carrying a gun, but when I answer, the topic appears settled in the mind of the observer.

I think guns are more accepted here in the west than back east, in northern states. I could be wrong, espeically considering California!

Meanwhile, I OC everywhere I go, and the usual encounter tends to be curiosity about the particular handgun I might be carrying that day and usually leads to me hearing about their own firearms that they own.

When asked why I carry, my response is: Because I've been confronted by criminals before and didn't enjoy being victimized.

So long as there are criminals walking around among us who feel no compunction about threatening my life, their odds of survival diminish considerably when I am able to respond with a positive defense.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Yes sir... here of late we've all been getting hammered by the anti-gun folks. Why, just look at this here chart...

Wow, things have changed a lot since I was born. I'm happy that that map looks a whole lot different today.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

The unfortunate part is that, prior to 1961, WA would have been green like VT, rather than blue. While WA was one of the first to pass a "shall issue" CC law, prior to that law, there were no restrictions on carry or ownership. Shall issue ended up being a step in the wrong direction for us.
    Last edited by hermannr; 07-09-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Not to mention WI is now (or soon will be) a may(shall?) issue...and IL will likely also become a may issue..

Centurion

Wisconsin now has one of the best Shall Issue systems

Quote Originally Posted by doobie View Post
    Not to mention WI is now (or soon will be) a may(shall?) issue...and IL will likely also become a may issue..
    Wisconsin now has one of the best Shall Issue systems, and came close to Constitutional Carry. They have a good chance of getting Constitutional Carry next year.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Howdy!
    Maybe I'm a late bloomer, but I have not yet had a negative encounter with anybody. I've been asked why I am carrying a gun, but when I answer, the topic appears settled in the mind of the observer.

I think guns are more accepted here in the west than back east, in northern states. I could be wrong, espeically considering California!

Meanwhile, I OC everywhere I go, and the usual encounter tends to be curiosity about the particular handgun I might be carrying that day and usually leads to me hearing about their own firearms that they own.

When asked why I carry, my response is: Because I've been confronted by criminals before and didn't enjoy being victimized.

So long as there are criminals walking around among us who feel no compunction about threatening my life, their odds of survival diminish considerably when I am able to respond with a positive defense.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

I think the reason you have never had a bad encounter about OCing has to do with being in the west. In NH we always have to deal with the spill over from the Peoples Republic of Mass, where OCing isn't as accepted.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I think open carry garners more support generally speaking. In all the time I have OC'ed I have had one negative encounter. On the other hand I have had probably ten positive encounters and numerous chances to tell people about why I OC.
    I agree.

My experience is like yours. I can still count the negative encounters on one hand. Dozens of positive encounters with citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd929 View Post
    I think the reason you have never had a bad encounter about OCing has to do with being in the west. In NH we always have to deal with the spill over from the Peoples Republic of Mass, where OCing isn't as accepted.
    Isn't as accepted? That sure is the under statement of the year.

Apparently it depends who you ask. I was way up in Northern NH last weekend, and did some target shooting. I brought up the topic of Open Carry with a local and he said that open carry creates more anti gunners than supporters of the right to carry both concealed or openly.

Jon
    I wouldn't say it "creates" antis. they are already anti before they see the gun, they just don't say anything about it until they see it.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwinstructor View Post
    Wisconsin now has one of the best Shall Issue systems, and came close to Constitutional Carry. They have a good chance of getting Constitutional Carry next year.
    curious, why is it "one of the best"? I don't see them going Con-Carry as early as next year, since the Gov insisted the new law had to include a permit system w/training.
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; 07-12-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhsig220 View Post
    Isn't as accepted? That sure is the under statement of the year.
    Well I said that because I know the Mass law allows it BUT the law a much more shakier when compared to the law in NH which is quite solid.

Well I said that because I know the Mass law allows it BUT the law a much more shakier when compared to the law in NH which is quite solid.
    Most of the people in Ma are simply too scared to OC. Their keepers like to keep it that way. Why anyone even lives there is beyond me.

Centurion

Cheap, easy, least restrictive, private, immunity

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I wouldn't say it "creates" antis. they are already anti before they see the gun, they just don't say anything about it until they see it.

curious, why is it "one of the best"? I don't see them going Con-Carry as early as next year, since the Gov insisted the new law had to include a permit system w/training.
    Wisconsin CCW is cheap at $50 for five years and $25 for five years renewal. No picture, no fingerprints, excellent reciprocity, immunity for private property owners that allow carry for the public or employees, good start on campus carry, and the training requirements are easily met by all, and already met by most of the interested groups. Permit informaiton protected from abuse. Fines for law enforcement that abuse carriers. Carry specifically disallowed as disorderly conduct. You will not find this combination in other states. Arizona has another very good one, but requires fingerprints, is more expensive, has no campus carry, and no immunity, doesn't have the privacy protections, no fine for law enforcement, no disorderly conduct protection.

Arizona has constitutional carry.

In a great many states experience, the permit system is continually improved. Wisconsin can still be improved, but with a years experience with the law, the pro-constitutional forces will grow and the anti-freedom forces will fall off.

You almost passed constitutional carry this year! You passed one of, if not the, most liberal shall issue law in the nation. Pam Galloway is a rising star in the state senate, and got this passed as a freshman senator.

She is committed to constitutional carry and wants to improve the bill next year.

Wisconsin CCW is cheap at $50 for five years and $25 for five years renewal. No picture, no fingerprints, excellent reciprocity, immunity for private property owners that allow carry for the public or employees, good start on campus carry, and the training requirements are easily met by all, and already met by most of the interested groups. Permit informaiton protected from abuse. Fines for law enforcement that abuse carriers. Carry specifically disallowed as disorderly conduct. You will not find this combination in other states. Arizona has another very good one, but requires fingerprints, is more expensive, has no campus carry, and no immunity, doesn't have the privacy protections, no fine for law enforcement, no disorderly conduct protection.

Arizona has constitutional carry.

In a great many states experience, the permit system is continually improved. Wisconsin can still be improved, but with a years experience with the law, the pro-constitutional forces will grow and the anti-freedom forces will fall off.

You almost passed constitutional carry this year! You passed one of, if not the, most liberal shall issue law in the nation. Pam Galloway is a rising star in the state senate, and got this passed as a freshman senator.

She is committed to constitutional carry and wants to improve the bill next year.
    NH only charges $10 and doesn't ask for finger prints or picture, but Wisconsin's law is still much better. Something close or better than that would be the icing on the cake here in NH.

Centurion

When you first looked, did you think New Hampshires law would be better?

NH only charges $10 and doesn't ask for finger prints or picture, but Wisconsin's law is still much better. Something close or better than that would be the icing on the cake here in NH.
    I had a New Hampshire license for several years. It was pretty good, but Wisconsin's new law is better, as you say. New Hampshire looks to get constitutional carry next year. They came close to getting it this year, twice, but the effort was apparently stymied by NRA rep in New Hampshire and the NRA affliate putting out conflicting information.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    In WI we have a law forbidding the carrying of fake/toy firearms that could reasonably be mistaken for real firearms.
    So in addition to being silly to carry a toy or nonfunctioning pistol, it's a crime.

I wonder if the new law fixes that stupid law.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Very cool! Now, just change WI to dark blue and leave the Gulag to its south the only red state.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

I lived in NH from '83 to '99. Had a CCW from day one, also had one from MA where I'd lived before. Didn't OC all that much, but never had a problem. And living in Merrimack, we were close to the border where the Massholes congregated. Will say OC is more widespread here in CO, but we have a lot more wide open areas where people don't give it a second thought--keeping in mind you could drop all of New England into CO...
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I lived in NH from '83 to '99. Had a CCW from day one, also had one from MA where I'd lived before. Didn't OC all that much, but never had a problem. And living in Merrimack, we were close to the border where the Massholes congregated. Will say OC is more widespread here in CO, but we have a lot more wide open areas where people don't give it a second thought--keeping in mind you could drop all of New England into CO...
    Yeah, I thought about getting a Mass CCW, but I don't know how hard it would be to get.

Yeah, I thought about getting a Mass CCW, but I don't know how hard it would be to get.
    Easy to get a Class B; depends where you live for a Class A. Non-res are simple if you have a valid one from your home state. The State Cops handle those and are even handed about them.

Keep in mind a non-res MA permit is $100 for 1 year...and requires an in person visit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast