• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blair Hardware: Employees can carry

ccwinstructor

Centurion
In anticipation of the newly reformed weapons law in Wisconsin, Blair Hardware Inc. employees have been informed that their right to bear arms will not be infringed at work. Blair Hardware Inc. is a medium sized buisiness in southeastern Wisconsin with four hardware stores and over a hundred employees.

On June 28th, during a weekly status meeting, CEO Jim Blair was asked about possible changes due to the weapons reform bill recently passed by the Wisconsin legislature. Several managers mentioned that they had seen citizens openly carrying holstered handguns in their stores.

CEO Blair replied that as long as the guns were carried in holsters, the citizens were likely to be as law abiding as police. He cited studies done by the FBI and the experience of over 40 states that have laws similar to that passed in Wisconsin. The Idea of having open carry days to celebrate Constitutional rights was even considered during the meeting..

He said that he had been following the news on the new state law. Mr. Blair said that he would not be issueing a written policy or putting up signs forbidding armed customers. The new law grants immunity to businesses that allow people to be armed on their premises, making it a smart business decision to welcome them.

One manager asked if store employees would be able to carry firearms under the new law. CEO Blair replied that the experience in other states is that citizens who take the trouble to carry legally are extremely responsible. He expects that store employees who make this decision will act responsibly also. He said that he would no more consider infringing on their constitutional right to be armed than he would on their constitutional right to have a Bible or a Koran.

IcrewUH60

In anticipation of the newly reformed weapons law in Wisconsin, Blair Hardware Inc. employees have been informed that their right to bear arms will not be infringed at work. Blair Hardware Inc. is a medium sized buisiness in southeastern Wisconsin with four hardware stores and over a hundred employees.[...]

Link to story?

I'd like to send Blair Hardware a "thank you" note of sorts.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Blair True Value is a staunch supporter of the right to carry in Wisconsin!

Unfortunately, I can't share more because of the confidentiality policy that WCI has, but trust me on this one. GOOD GUYS over there!!!!!!!

MilProGuy

This is so refreshing to read!

We need more employers who will set aside "political-correctness" and replace it with good old common sense!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
That is great. Now that it is out that employees may be armed, I am sure their risk of robbery will be reduced.

Wolf1477

Good for him, and better for his employees and customers. Nice to see a businessman take a stance and stick by it one way or the other (altho I'm darn glad he came down on this side of the fence!), unlike some others we could mention.

MKEgal

Thank-you sent...
I just read about an interview w/ Jim Blair where he strongly and in no uncertain terms confirmed that employees & customers who are lawfully armed are welcome in his stores.

I am VERY glad to hear of this, as I have been in both Blair's True Value on Hampton Ave. & Richfield True Value in Hubertus, AND I carry for my own protection.

Knowing Blair's respects the civil rights of its customers & staff, I will definitely shop there in preference to other stores.

ETA: wonder if I was one of those customers?
Several managers mentioned that they had seen citizens openly carrying holstered handguns in their stores.

Last edited: