• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When will FL Statutes reflect SB234?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I've been checking a lot and I don't see beriefly in 790. When will 790 reflect the actual law? What happens when someone gets picked up and says, "Officer! I can show it briefly! Look it up!!!" < and it's not there....?

Rich7553

The short answer is...I don't know. If you look at the top of the statutes page, it reflects "The 2010 Florida Statutes, including Special Session A". When they actually update the page to reflect the 2011 statutes is a mystery.

Terminal Velocity

My brother is a SGT. with the Ft. Lauderdale PD and the latest 790 that he received was on July 14, 2011. I tried to upload the DOC, but the system would not let me. None the less, there is nothing in it that stats/words anything regarding "BRIEFLY". Is this (July 14, 2011) the SB234 revision?

If someone can help me with how to up load the DOC. I get it posted.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
My brother is a SGT. with the Ft. Lauderdale PD and the latest 790 that he received was on July 14, 2011. I tried to upload the DOC, but the system would not let me. None the less, there is nothing in it that stats/words anything regarding "BRIEFLY". Is this (July 14, 2011) the SB234 revision?

If someone can help me with how to up load the DOC. I get it posted.

Just because he received it then, does not mean it was published then.

That's a cute way to claim qualified immunity if I ever saw one...

Terminal Velocity

Ahhh... makes sense, but this was suppose to be the most current updates to 790 and HB45. If someone can walk me through on how to post it, I will. I tried a few times, but the doc. would not attach.

Here is what the first part says:

During the 2011 Legislative session, the Legislature changed various laws relating to local regulation of firearms and ammunition. Attached is a legislative alert regarding HB 45, and a copy of Enrolled HB 45. This law strengthens the current state preemption with regard to the regulation of firearms, which was passed by the Legislature in 1987. HB 45 provides civil penalties for governments, elected officials and employees who attempt to regulate firearms or ammunition in violation of the preemption. Due to the preemption and new penalty provisions, it is important to consult with your city attorney to identify any local ordinances, rules or regulations that may need to be amended (see attached Alert).

Rich7553

Ahhh... makes sense, but this was suppose to be the most current updates to 790 and HB45. If someone can walk me through on how to post it, I will. I tried a few times, but the doc. would not attach.

Here is what the first part says:

During the 2011 Legislative session, the Legislature changed various laws relating to local regulation of firearms and ammunition. Attached is a legislative alert regarding HB 45, and a copy of Enrolled HB 45. This law strengthens the current state preemption with regard to the regulation of firearms, which was passed by the Legislature in 1987. HB 45 provides civil penalties for governments, elected officials and employees who attempt to regulate firearms or ammunition in violation of the preemption. Due to the preemption and new penalty provisions, it is important to consult with your city attorney to identify any local ordinances, rules or regulations that may need to be amended (see attached Alert).

See the other thread on "printing". There's a link to the document (SB 234). It became effective as of 6/17/11.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I can't say from where I got this information, and I'll even go so far as to say that I can't rpove it's true even though it comes from a few horses' mouths...

...but, the FSA is deliberately witholding this statute update.

Let it be known that not every Sheriff in FL agrees with doing this. But, it is so overwhelmingly supported that I must protect my source. He is an elected official, after all...

Terminal Velocity

I can't say from where I got this information, and I'll even go so far as to say that I can't rpove it's true even though it comes from a few horses' mouths...

...but, the FSA is deliberately witholding this statute update.

Let it be known that not every Sheriff in FL agrees with doing this. But, it is so overwhelmingly supported that I must protect my source. He is an elected official, after all...

Okay... so now I'm confused... Unless I am misunderstanding, Rich7553 stated below that SB234 went into effect 6/17/11.

See the other thread on "printing". There's a link to the document (SB 234). It became effective as of 6/17/11.

So then the update that my brother received on 7/14/11 is NOT updated with the new SB234 details. I guess that makes sense since the term BRIEFLY was no where to be found in the 21 page doc.

Damn I'm glad you guys are patient with clueless people like me, lol :p

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Okay... so now I'm confused... Unless I am misunderstanding, Rich7553 stated below that SB234 went into effect 6/17/11.

So then the update that my brother received on 7/14/11 is NOT updated with the new SB234 details. I guess that makes sense since the term BRIEFLY was no where to be found in the 21 page doc.

Damn I'm glad you guys are patient with clueless people like me, lol :p

The law went into effect on Day X.

Day Y is a Day that is occuring AFTER Day X.

On Day Y, Updates about various changes in laws are being provided to LEOs. One of these law updates, a very important one, is being deliberately omitted from the updates.

Why? Well, one can alreay see a nefarius hand at work in the fact that this one update is being willfully censored. So, it is impossible NOT to deduce that there is malicious intent. This means that the original question, "Why?" also has malicious intent in the answer.

As I hinted at earlier in the thread: If an officer made an arrest or detainement in violation of the now law SB234, because their superiors deliberately withheld knowledge of it... That Offending Officer would have qualified immunity, and the higher-ups would effectively use them as unwitting pawns for assaulting us and ruinging our lives in a quagmire of defense fees and a bogus arrest record. The CLEOs get to attack citizens and get away with it, such scenarios they seem to spend every waking minute thinking up, instead of preventing real crimes...

Courts do frown upon Willful Ignorance. Especially when deliberately orchestrated by dozens (that's right, I said dozens) of Publicly Elected Sheriffs and their friends in the Legislature.