• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

post your "briefly" experiences

hammer6

I will be back in florida next weekend, so I will have my first opportunity to provide my interpretation of the word "briefly". But, for those of you who have already been able to do so, tell us about your experience!

thx

ADulay

There is a thread here titled "The Proverbial Test Case" or something similar and it has been collecting a lot of "BRIEF" examples in daily use. Be sure and check it out.

Just last night I BRIEFLY open carried as I rode the motorcycle into the large gas station and refueled the bike because I had ridden IN with it open carried anyway and wasn't about to muck about hiding the gun for the BRIEF amount of time it took insert the credit card, fuel, repack some of the bags and move out.

Night time on the interstate at a refueling stop. Can't really think of a better time to be armed!

AD

Last edited:

Japle

Even before the new law passed, I'd pretty much quit trying to hide my gun on windy days. No one's paying attention anyway.

Now, I've totally quit caring. If the wind blows my shirt back, it doesn't matter. I let it go.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I posted them elsewhere on the forum... So I won't repeat what already happened.

I briefly exposed at the CPA's office who is 3 years behind on "someone's" taxes. It's all taken care of now.

"Brief" is a rather ambiguous term. As measures of brevity go, it was more than some, less than others. Some kind of brief, can't put my finger on which one exactly... It is impossible to put a fine point on a blurry thing.

:p

I weighed the option of being willfully inarticulate, but I didn't know if that subtlety would make it's mark...

We should compile a list of 'brief' used in popular literature.

...or in news articles published by anti-gunners demonstrating their own use of the term 'brief' to mean many hours, days, or years... I wonder how many times Bogdanoff has been on record using that term... she was the author of the strike-all amendment, so her past usage of the word would seem to carry some weight...

Ha!

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/brief

the link above said:
–adjective
lasting or taking a short time; of short duration: a brief walk; a brief stay in the country.
A brief stay? How can you stay brief? Isn't brief momentary? So how can you stay that way?

"A brief stay in the country" could take days... Certainly several hours or it wouldn't be worth the trip...

If you took a brief walk, and you exposed your firearm for the entirety of that brief walk.... If you do two things that take the exact same amount of time, how can one of them be brief, and the other not? It's the same amount of time.

This law is so dumb.

Last edited:

Mas49.56

Did a combo OC/BOC today. I went target shooting while OC (perfectly legal)and stopped to get gas(a previous grey area thing to do). I didn't cover up since I just stopped "briefly" and was covered by the BOC law IMHO. Once my trip to the range resumed, I was back in full OC mode. Don't you just love florida's gun laws? Oh, and I stepped "briefly" into the road to get my mail when I got home while OC.It was hot out there today! It sure was nice to not sweat all over my pistol and carry OWB.

hammer6

Did a combo OC/BOC today. I went target shooting while OC (perfectly legal)and stopped to get gas(a previous grey area thing to do). I didn't cover up since I just stopped "briefly" and was covered by the BOC law IMHO. Once my trip to the range resumed, I was back in full OC mode. Don't you just love florida's gun laws? Oh, and I stepped "briefly" into the road to get my mail when I got home while OC.It was hot out there today! It sure was nice to not sweat all over my pistol and carry OWB.

lolz

ADulay

Hey! I think we're on the same highway!!

OC to and from the range with a "brief" stop to get fuel when needed.

All on the motorcycle, of course.

AD (the same goes for my fishing routine)

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I popped into the local convenience store to pick up some butts for my roomie (I don't smoke). It was a very brief trip, so the fact that my 1911 was exposed the same amount of time must mean that this, also, was brielf. Two activities occupying an identical period of time cannot be segregated as one being brief and the other not. Well, not by sane, rational, people anyway...

It was definitely seen.

Nobody screamed bloody murder. Nobody ran away in terror. My gun didn't jump out of the holster and shoot up the place. I wasn't overcome by a desire to demand cash from the register, even though I am dead broke and desperate for money.

Several Magic Remembering Devices saw, too. So there is video proof that NOTHING HAPPENED.

77zach

Enterprise rental car in Ocala for about 1-2 minutes to return car. Girl asked about it and agreed that walking around the car to inspect for damage and giving her the key was "brief".

GIdeon_70

I will be back in florida next weekend, so I will have my first opportunity to provide my interpretation of the word "briefly". But, for those of you who have already been able to do so, tell us about your experience!

thx

I know how a judge would view it. He would look over the record of the discussions when the bill was passed, then rule based on those discussions and thier implied meaning. My guess would be that as soon as you were aware that the gun was exposed you should have made efforts to cover it up. If you do not make the effort to cover it, then your intentions are to openly carry it.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I know how a judge would view it. He would look over the record of the discussions when the bill was passed, then rule based on those discussions and thier implied meaning. My guess would be that as soon as you were aware that the gun was exposed you should have made efforts to cover it up. If you do not make the effort to cover it, then your intentions are to openly carry it.

I'm not aware of a single sentence spoken on record to the word 'briefly' being in this bill. Several other words were discussed and removed. But once the Bogdanoff strike-all hit, it was fast-tracked and there was next to zero discussion.

What if I deliberately expose? Like, when I get into my car? It's still breif. And I know BEFORe I expose it that it will be exposed... soo... How does that metric apply here?

77zach

I'm not aware of a single sentence spoken on record to the word 'briefly' being in this bill. Several other words were discussed and removed. But once the Bogdanoff strike-all hit, it was fast-tracked and there was next to zero discussion.

What if I deliberately expose? Like, when I get into my car? It's still breif. And I know BEFORe I expose it that it will be exposed... soo... How does that metric apply here?

And the law says "display". That is a strong term. It doesn't mesh well with briefly.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
And the law says "display". That is a strong term. It doesn't mesh well with briefly.

Of the many times my firearm has 'briefly' become visible, I have only once 'displayed' it. LEOs, Judges, and Legislators may lie about that to silence me or remove me from the voting pool, but the facts remain regardless of a corrupt government's lies.

I'm reminedd of a corny Liberal saying "Might does not make Right." I'll fight the loosing battle every time, because I do not compromise what is Right for the whims of evil.

hammer6

actually- the statute makes it seem like the brief exposure is ok to be intentional. it doesn't say "accidentally" exposed...it says

"It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense."

couple of key words here:

"to" - 'it is not a violation....TO briefly and openly...' that tells me that even if i take my shirt, and pull it over my gun to expose it, i'll be fine. not just the wind doing it. so therefore, i would know EXACTLY when my gun was exposed. the time frame for the exposure is open-ended.

"unless" - '...unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry....' that tells me that intentional exposure is okay, as long as the intentional exposure isn't angry or threatening, or not in necessary self-defense. i'm not making things up- i'm just reading the statute.

"intentionally" - (same as above) again- it doesn't say you can NOT intentionally display your firearm...it just says you can't INTENTIONALLY display it in a threatening manner. SO- intentional is okay, if friendly. and to me, the only threatening manner would be if unholstered it. and i would take that to court. "yeah but it was threatening to me!!" my argument would be simple- "was my hand on my gun, or was i chasing after you, or in the process of committing a crime?" simply carrying a gun does not mean that i am about to commit a crime...there's probably even case law on that...

ADulay

actually- the statute makes it seem like the brief exposure is ok to be intentional. it doesn't say "accidentally" exposed...it says

"It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense."

couple of key words here:

"to" - 'it is not a violation....TO briefly and openly...' that tells me that even if i take my shirt, and pull it over my gun to expose it, i'll be fine. not just the wind doing it. so therefore, i would know EXACTLY when my gun was exposed. the time frame for the exposure is open-ended.

"unless" - '...unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry....' that tells me that intentional exposure is okay, as long as the intentional exposure isn't angry or threatening, or not in necessary self-defense. i'm not making things up- i'm just reading the statute.

"intentionally" - (same as above) again- it doesn't say you can NOT intentionally display your firearm...it just says you can't INTENTIONALLY display it in a threatening manner. SO- intentional is okay, if friendly. and to me, the only threatening manner would be if unholstered it. and i would take that to court. "yeah but it was threatening to me!!" my argument would be simple- "was my hand on my gun, or was i chasing after you, or in the process of committing a crime?" simply carrying a gun does not mean that i am about to commit a crime...there's probably even case law on that...

Hammer,

That is EXACTLY the way I read the statute also.

Thanks for the post.

AD