Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill passed, can we carry in the vehicle...

Bill passed, can we carry in the vehicle...

Question... is the whole bill put off until Nov. 1 or can we carry in our vehicle right away?
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. Han Solo

http://buffaloholstercompany.blogspot.com/ Concealment holsters IWB, SOB, and belt slide. Open Carry too. New from Buffalo Holster, Women's holsters for concealment and or belt carry.

Have to wait until NOV. 1. Then there is the question of said carry can be considered condealed.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENSPROKET View Post
    Have to wait until NOV. 1. Then there is the question of said carry can be considered condealed.
    Yup. I haven't heard back from my Rep yet and I haven't heard if Phred's Sen. contacted him yet about he AG opinion we both asked for.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

I hope we can get an AG opinion on whether open carry of a handgun in a vehicle is considered concealed carry if the handgun is not visible from outside the vehicle. We also need an opinion if handgun carry is allowed only in motorized vehicles. Unfortunately s941.23 was not recinded by SB93. It was only modified therefore the carry of concealed weapons is still prohibited subject to certain exceptions. All previous case law is probably still relevant.

My opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    I hope we can get an AG opinion on whether open carry of a handgun in a vehicle is considered concealed carry if the handgun is not visible from outside the vehicle.
    Captain, are you talking about vehicle carry without a license?

ksks

Quote Originally Posted by hardballer View Post
    Question... is the whole bill put off until Nov. 1 or can we carry in our vehicle right away?
    Whilst chatting with Sen. Galloway and Annette Olsen ,the good senator in formed me and several others that a change was made to the bill and OC in , on a vehicle is legal as of today. When I questioned that Sen. Galloway said I took care of it ,it's legal!
    Owner Little Wolf Firearms , US ARMY RETIRED 101st Airborne & 84th DIV TRNG Small arms instructor.
    Remember , Gun Control is " USING BOTH HANDS!"

Quote Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
    Whilst chatting with Sen. Galloway and Annette Olsen ,the good senator in formed me and several others that a change was made to the bill and OC in , on a vehicle is legal as of today. When I questioned that Sen. Galloway said I took care of it ,it's legal!
    That is excellent news, but I'd want her to expand as to just how it was taken care of.

Did you ride home OC'ing???

That sounds to good to be true.... I would have to see it in writing.....

This should be pursued until it can be confirmed as LEGAL or not. I am sure most Leo's will not have heard of this....

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman1 View Post
    That sounds to good to be true.... I would have to see it in writing.....

This should be pursued until it can be confirmed as LEGAL or not. I am sure most Leo's will not have heard of this....

Outdoorsman1
    Agreed... I would love to stop, "dancing" today. Still have to watch the school zones though...
    "I don't really care for "cream cheese"..."

I really wanted to believe that but there was no ammendment to change that so if it was changed, we have a much bigger question as to how?

How does a bill get changed without an ammendment being voted on? That is a very serious question.
    Last edited by BROKENSPROKET; 07-08-2011 at 11:29 PM.

I really wanted to believe that but there was no ammendment to change that so if it was changed, we have a much bigger question as to how?

How does a bill get changed without an ammendment being voted on? That is a very serious question.
    Sen Galloway wrote it and and thats what she told me in person,not second hand info.what can I say
    Owner Little Wolf Firearms , US ARMY RETIRED 101st Airborne & 84th DIV TRNG Small arms instructor.

Sen Galloway wrote it and and thats what she told me in person,not second hand info.what can I say
    I have read the bill that went to Walkers office several times and all I can say is either she misundertood you or she lied to you.

The changes to 167.31 do not take effect until Nov. 1. The bill cannot be changed after it passed the House unless it is with a Governors line item veto.

It does not matter to me, I have been OC in a vehicle for 9 months, like the next 4 months is going to be much diefferent.
    Last edited by BROKENSPROKET; 07-08-2011 at 11:41 PM.

I have read the bill that went to Walkers office several times and all I can say is either she misundertood you or she lied to you.

The changes to 167.31 do not take effect until Nov. 1. The bill cannot be changed after it passed the House unless it is with a Governors line item veto.

It does not matter to me, I have been OC in a vehicle for 9 months, like the next 4 months is going to be much diefferent.
    thats what i told those two ladies also, galloway said somthing about two versions of the ammendments and that she changed that provision in a shorter version ? Could be something we haven't seen. idk

Obviously, no one here is questioning your statments as to what you were told. It is possible that perhaps Sen. Galloway was mis-informed as to the changes she thought were made to the bill, or perhaps she was accurate and there were things happening that we (no-one) knew about.

Whatever the case may be, I stand behind my original ststement... Someone should contact Sen. Galloway for confirmation as to her statements and respecrfully request verification in writing as in the form of an ammendend statute of amended amendment (if there even is such a thing.

To be honest, I am thinking that she must have been mis-lead of just confused as to something as huge as this would not have went un-noticed by many who were watching thhis process step by step, very closely...

I will be waiting for confirmation as to exactly why she said what she said and if in fact it is true or not....

Thanks for bringing this to our attention...

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

Outdoorsman1

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA
    Perhaps she is speaking to the INTENT of the language she included in the bill. In any case, it will be interesting to see the actual text of the bill that Gov. Walker signed today.
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Quote Originally Posted by davegran View Post
    Perhaps she is speaking to the INTENT of the language she included in the bill. In any case, it will be interesting to see the actual text of the bill that Gov. Walker signed today.
    Yes, the actual text of publication should resolve this question. I also sent my Rep. an E-mail requesting that she contact Sen. Galloway and try to find out what she meant by her statements... I also asked for written confirmatioin / verification as to the change in question.

I will post hear as soon as I hear anything,,,

Outdoorsman1
    Last edited by Outdoorsman1; 07-09-2011 at 12:51 AM.

Outdoorsman1

Thanks for the update Sir. Your word is good enough for me. She wrote the darn thing after all. If Senator Pam doesn't know what she is talking about I'll eat my hat. The one made out of cake.

When is she running for President?
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 07-09-2011 at 03:17 AM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Thanks for the update Sir. Your word is good enough for me. She wrote the darn thing after all. If Senator Pam doesn't know what she is talking about I'll eat my hat. The one made out of cake.

When is she running for President?
    Dude, she didn't write it. All Legislators use Leg. Council to draft legislation for them and write a memo to explain it to them. Her staff probably handled most of it.

She had the courage to bring it forth because she is not a career politician.

Exclamation My Two Cents...Is Worth Just That...I Believe We Can Open Carry In A Vehicle...Now

I have read the FAQ's, SB93 in final form and it seems pretty clear to me that we can open carry in a vehicle now but not through the unconstitutional gun free school zones.

I am looking forward to a LEGAL document from the State stating so before I do open carry in a vehicle but...it sure looks to me like we can right now.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by rcawdor57 View Post
    I have read the FAQ's, SB93 in final form and it seems pretty clear to me that we can open carry in a vehicle now but not through the unconstitutional gun free school zones.

I am looking forward to a LEGAL document from the State stating so before I do open carry in a vehicle but...it sure looks to me like we can right now.
    This is the only section that you have to read to know we legally cannot until 11/1/11.

SECTION 101. Effective dates. This act takes effect on the first day of the 4th month beginning after publication, except as follows:

(1) The treatment of sections 66.0409 (6), 165.25 (12), 175.49 (4), 175.60 (2m) and (5), and 947.01 (2) of the statutes and SECTION 100 (1) and (2) of this act take effect on the day after publication.

(2c) The treatment of section 20.455 (2) (gs) of the statutes and SECTION 100h of this act take effect on July 1, 2011.

Unhappy Why Would You State The Statutes And Then Violate Them?

If it is illegal to O.C. in a vehicle until 1 Nov. 2011 why would you state you are doing this now?
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    If it is illegal to O.C. in a vehicle until 1 Nov. 2011 why would you state you are doing this now?
    It's his arse. If he, or anyone else for that matter, feels that a law is wrong or unconstitutional and wants to go against it I'm not going to try to stop them as long as they don't advocate that others do the same.

Heck, some would even say it is our duty to ignore unconstitutional laws. I think those guys were on SCotUS.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Something to Ponder

Here is something to ponder. As pointed out by another post, WI SS 947.01(2) takes effect the day after publication. (Probably in about 10 days.)

947.01 (2) Unless other facts and circumstances that indicate a criminal or malicious intent on the part of the person apply, a person is not in violation of, and may not be charged with a violation of, this section for loading, carrying, or going armed with a firearm, without regard to whether the firearm is loaded or is concealed or openly carried.

(Copied and pasted directly from the Bill).
    My cats support the Second Amendment. NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, & Personal Protection - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor.
    "Permission Slips" from Utah, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, and Florida. _ Verily, thou shalt not fiddle with thine firearm whilst in the bathroom stall, lest thine spouse seek condolences from thine friends.

Becasue I am being honest, which can be a fault at times.

I got sick of doing 'the dance'. I do not like to draw attention and that is what I felt I was doing. But at some point I just said phuck it and I would rack the slide everytime and without trying to be discrete. I did that for awhile before I started to OC in my vehicle. I knew that under 167.31, 'loaded' and 'not encased' would cost over $700 so I carry $1000 on me at all times. Unintentionally, I was witnessed by LEO on more than one occasion. One specific LEO would just smile at me. Another off-duty Deputy Sheriff leaned into my passenger window to discuss the future of CC legislation while my handgun was loaded and holstered on my right side, and he never mentioned it.

I have done it for 9 months. It will be legal in just under 4 months. The bill is signed, I have no hestitation to do it for the next 4 months.

I was disciplining my son for something he did wrong once, and he started to bring into question my illegal activity. I asked him, "What Constitutional basis do you have to justify what you did?" He answered, "NONE", I responded, " I don't break any laws (except speeding) that I don't have the deepest conviction is unconstitutional and have the resolve to take in all the way to the State Supreme Court, if need be".

Most people do not even notice. I don't know exaclty why, but the LEO that have observed me have not chosen to do anything. I was kinda hoping they would. I had already chosen a lawyer incase they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    It's his arse. If he, or anyone else for that matter, feels that a law is wrong or unconstitutional and wants to go against it I'm not going to try to stop them as long as they don't advocate that others do the same.

Heck, some would even say it is our duty to ignore unconstitutional laws. I think those guys were on SCotUS.
    Also, aslong as I don't adovate that others do it, John said that it's not against forum rules.

I did have a quote in my signature line siad basically that it is our duty as free men to obey just laws and to also disobey unjust laws, but I felt that could be construed and 'advocating', so I removed it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast