• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle police officer charged with assault

MilProGuy

"He was captured on camera Dec. 12 kicking a handcuffed man outside the Balmar Bar and Lounge after the fight in which police say Haynes was initially the victim."

Let's see...an off duty police officer kicking a handcuffed man...

Not a very smart move, on his part.

carry for myself

unless of course they can prove the man he kicked is one of seattles own neo-nazi's that the city is popular with....then oh well. skinhead deserved it.

im gonna get yelled at for that one but..i hate skinheads lol

JoeSparky

Centurion

According to the article the Police Officer's Guild is "outraged" that the Prosecutor has made the decision to prosecute the officer because the officer was initially the victim of an allegedly racially based attack....

Just for argument... let us say that this is 100% accurate.... Just how does this relieve the officer of the responsibility to protect and safegard ANYONE who is in custody! and allow him the right/priviledge to "kick" someone in handcuffs?

If ANYONE commits a crime, charge them, prosecute them and IF YOU CAN PROVE YOUR CASE incarcerate them, you don't kick someone who is in handcuffs on the ground, I don't care who they are!

JoeSparky

Centurion
unless of course they can prove the man he kicked is one of seattles own neo-nazi's that the city is popular with....then oh well. skinhead deserved it.

im gonna get yelled at for that one but..i hate skinheads lol

While I abhor the stand that the NeoNazis or skinheads have taken that belief in and of itself does not eliminate their Constitutionally Guaranteed or protected rights!

I am fully willing to have anyone prosecuted for their actions against another. It is improper and unconstitutional(IMO) to prosecute ANYONE for their beliefs!

44Brent

I watched the video and the police officer only administered a "little" parting kick to the handcuffed guy's head.

Too bad the prosecutor let the cop that murdered the totem-pole whittler walk. Seems that the Seattle prosecutors have their priorities messed up just a little bit. Maybe if police officers administered some little kicks to Seattle prosecutors, the prosecutors might understand things a bit better.

Police officer: Hey prosecutor let me shoot you in the back a few times.

Seattle prosecutor: OK, no problem, I deserve it.

Police officer: Hey prosecutor, let me give you a little kick in the head.

Seattle prosecutor: That's it, you stepped over the line now. I'm charging you with assault.

Dave_pro2a

According to the article the Police Officer's Guild is "outraged" that the Prosecutor has made the decision to prosecute the officer because the officer was initially the victim of an allegedly racially based attack....

Just for argument... let us say that this is 100% accurate.... Just how does this relieve the officer of the responsibility to protect and safegard ANYONE who is in custody! and allow him the right/priviledge to "kick" someone in handcuffs?

If ANYONE commits a crime, charge them, prosecute them and IF YOU CAN PROVE YOUR CASE incarcerate them, you don't kick someone who is in handcuffs on the ground, I don't care who they are!

You expect union reps to make logical and moral sense? HA HA

amlevin

The guy deserves general population for a year or two.

He'd be the most popular guy in the joint, every night. Whenever would he sleep?

FWIW, the max sentence if convicted is only one year and with WA's horsecrap sentencing system he would probably only be sentenced to a month or two in the County Jail. That's assuming he gets convicted. So far the score on convictions of Police Officers here isn't very good.

Trigger Dr

I know there is a lot of animosity toward LEO, and quite justified by the actions of a relatively small few.
Maybe, just MAYBE, Seattle in particular, PDs should re evaluate their following of the....

Code of Ethics

Law Enforcement Code of Ethics

As a Law Enforcement Officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the Constitutional rights of all persons to liberty, equality and justice.

I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all; maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn or ridicule; develop self-restraint; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life, I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of my department. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in my official capacity will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty.

I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities or friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless prosecution of criminal, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never accepting gratuities.

I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession...law enforcement.

Dave_pro2a

I know there is a lot of animosity toward LEO, and quite justified by the actions of a relatively small few.
Maybe, just MAYBE, Seattle in particular, PDs should re evaluate their following of the....

Just a few huh. That's why the Feds are investigating the SPD for systemic, institutional abuse of civil rights.

Yeah, just a few. Any other myths you want to discuss? Santa Claus? The Great Pumpkin? Tooth Fairy? Etc.

amzbrady

Not seeing the link to the video? Also wondering who handcuffed who? Isnt there something about holding people hostage, with handcuffs? Or maybe I missed the memo and we are now allowed to handcuff people at will.

sudden valley gunner

Just a few huh. That's why the Feds are investigating the SPD for systemic, institutional abuse of civil rights.

Yeah, just a few. Any other myths you want to discuss? Santa Claus? The Great Pumpkin? Tooth Fairy? Etc.

It's not just a few, and the simple fact that others in the departments (it's not just Seattle) refuse to stand up against those "few" who do make them just as guilty and wrong.

Proactive law enforcement and liberty cannot and does not live side by side.

The latest race here in Whatcom for Sheriff proves my point, right now they are running on "crime prevention"......Let's think about this for a second that means they want to be involved in your life and stop you before you do something "illegal"......:banghead::banghead::banghead: