• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in a Auto Licensing building?

Wolfebane

I need to head down today to register a transfer of ownership and get new tags on a vehicle (they close at 1800hrs so I have a bit of time to get an answer here). I would like to know if it is legal to carry into this place (it's in a shopping center between a Fred Meyer and a teriyaki joint - called and asked).

I tried searching online, and on the forums but I could not find a thread that deals with WA and rules pertaining to buildings such as this, the address is below.

Bellingham Auto Licensing
Fred Meyer Shopping Ctr
804 Lakeway Dr
Bellingham, WA 98229
Phone: (360) 733-0148

If anyone could give me some information, or direct me to where I might find the applicable RCW I'd be grateful.

j2l3

I am NOT a lawyer.....

There is no prohibition in the law for DOL offices. I recall past threads addressing driver license offices and it being legal there.

If it is a state office, you are likely good to go. Worst they can do is ask you to take it outside.

If it is a contracted office, of which there are quite a few, that makes you have to go through private property to get to the counter, they could have their own rules.

Basically, if it's inside another business as a sideline, they could exclude you.

If it's only business is vehicle licensing and is a state office, you are probably alright.

joeroket

Auto Licensing Agents are independently owned and are not a state office or agency. It is private property and carry would be up to the discretion of owner.

deanf

thank you Thank You THANK YOU for making a good faith effort to know and obey the law, rather than going in assuming all is ok and then blustering when someone challenges you.

Wolfebane

thank you Thank You THANK YOU for making a good faith effort to know and obey the law, rather than going in assuming all is ok and then blustering when someone challenges you.

I try my best. I did the same thing when I needed to go to the post office, found out that you can't carry there because of federal law. So now I no longer use the Post Office unless I absolutely have to - I go to the UPS Store for all my mailing needs.

BobR

I have OC in several licensing agent offices here in Spokane and in 2 of the State DOL locations. No isues with any of them. I think you are good to go. Like others said, the contract offices can restrict you if they want, but around here I haven't found one that does.

bob

Vitaeus

There is at least one public office in each county, the others are all licensed by the state to allow for convenience, which you pay for since they charge a fee to use any of the licensed offices to do your business. In theory this is actually a good thing, it allows less public employees and allows for more places to do your business.

amlevin

There is at least one public office in each county, the others are all licensed by the state to allow for convenience, which you pay for since they charge a fee to use any of the licensed offices to do your business. In theory this is actually a good thing, it allows less public employees and allows for more places to do your business.

And if that "One Public Office" is in the Courthouse, behind the security line, then you are in for a whole different set of issues.

BTW, I renewed my tabs online and every office I had the option of having them mailed from, including the Public Office, charged the same fee. Even the Assessor's office charges the "agent's fee". No way to avoid this charge.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

And if that "One Public Office" is in the Courthouse, behind the security line, then you are in for a whole different set of issues.

BTW, I renewed my tabs online and every office I had the option of having them mailed from, including the Public Office, charged the same fee. Even the Assessor's office charges the "agent's fee". No way to avoid this charge.

It is on the court house building but it is on the first floor and the courts are on the higher up floors. I forced (well suggested they follow state law, and they complied) them to reroute the ropes so we now have access to all offices including county chambers on the first floor.:D

Last edited: