• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Short Conversation with LEO

spiderjohn

I was at lunch at my place of employment today and there are always some LEOs around eating in the cafeteria. I was standing trying to choose something and a Buncombe County deputy sheriff came up. As we were waiting, I asked his opinion of open carry and he basically said it's your right and that he definitely supported it. I asked if that was the general attitude of the department and he said yes.

We continued talking and since I'm left handed, asked him about carrying in a holster in a car on my left side. I am concerned about it being considered CC since an officer wouldn't be able to see it. He said, in his opinion, it would not be...but that it is dependent on the officer.

He went on to suggest that if stopped, you take the handgun out of the holster and put it on the dash before the officer approaches the car. I thanked him for the conversation. As I think about it, it seems like a really bad idea to be handling a gun if stopped and a LEO is approaching the car. Am I wrong? :eek:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I would definitely not touch ypur weapon at all during a traffic stop. The best thing to do is put your hands on the steering, and turn on your interior lights (if it's dark). Reaching for anything in the car as an officer is approaching is never a good idea. You know what you are doing but the officer does not. If you're state doesn't require that you inform the officer, I wouldn't, it just gives him a reason to pull you out of the car for "officer safety."

AubCubFan

I agree with the others. No way would I be touching my firearm if stopped or approached by law enforcement. I don't think they would react positively towards you.

Smith45acp

I find I have PLENTY of time to put my pistol wherever I want it to be while I'm pulling over.

I just minimize my body movement so I don't look too suspicious and plop it on the passenger seat or dash.

aosailor

I've been pulled over several times. I'm knocking on a bunch of wood here, but every time I've been pulled while carrying I've never been ticketed. the one time i wasn't packing, I got a ticket. I always tell the cop I'm OCing and I never take my gun out of the holster. Never once has a cop attempted to say that I was Concealing.

ocgso

I find I have PLENTY of time to put my pistol wherever I want it to be while I'm pulling over.

I just minimize my body movement so I don't look too suspicious and plop it on the passenger seat or dash.

I agree 100%. Actually went through this once prior to getting my CCH. See the lights, pull your gun and put it in plain sight before you even come to a stop. When the officer gets to the window, I will have hands at 10 and 2.

Ricky

Pulled once and waited on officer to approach with hands at 10 and 2. I informed him ( N.C. State Trooper) I had my pistol on my right hip and had to unbuckle my seat belt to get my wallet. He said that's fine leave the gun holstered and he gave me a verbal warning to put my sticker on the tag when I get home. He never seemed really concerned about my pistol at anytime during the stop...Very professional...