Thread: incorrect information

incorrect information

I was in the Starbucks in Canyon Park, Bothell, Wa today and speaking to an obviously new State Patrol officer. I was open carrying my Taurus 1911 in condition one (cocked and locked) and he said, "You know that it's illegal to carry with one in the chamber, don't you?" I couldn't convince him otherwise so I called the State Patrol and spoke to a trooper of much more seniority. I think that the young trooper will be getting some remedial training.

"You know that it's illegal to carry with one in the chamber, don't you?"
    DUH! Didn't you know? ...cops...pff...

He said it was illegal, but didn't bother arresting you.... he either knew he was wrong, or isn't going to make a very effective trooper...

If there's a next time, ask what RCW you're violating. And how did he know one was in the chamber?

This kid is no different than any person I know who quotes laws, but can't cite it. Go back to school and stop bothering me.

Quote Originally Posted by tobias5jun View Post
    I was in the Starbucks in Canyon Park, Bothell, Wa today and speaking to an obviously new State Patrol officer. I was open carrying my Taurus 1911 in condition one (cocked and locked) and he said, "You know that it's illegal to carry with one in the chamber, don't you?" I couldn't convince him otherwise so I called the State Patrol and spoke to a trooper of much more seniority. I think that the young trooper will be getting some remedial training.
    So I assume that you are typing this post from the Bothell jail tonight? Well, since it is illegal that could be the only explanation. Did you by chance get his badge number? If not perhaps a FOI to the command to find out who was working that evening then a quick follow up email to the command regarding open/conceal carry and the proper facts so that this officer keeps his mouth shut and worries about laws he has a clue about.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    So I assume that you are typing this post from the Bothell jail tonight? Well, since it is illegal that could be the only explanation. Did you by chance get his badge number? If not perhaps a FOI to the command to find out who was working that evening then a quick follow up email to the command regarding open/conceal carry and the proper facts so that this officer keeps his mouth shut and worries about laws he has a clue about.
    With WSP it's easy to identify. Their license plate numbers are their "Badge Numbers". Exception is for the few "plain wrapper" cars that are used for special patrol emphasis or when someone is "borrowing the Sergeant's car"

geojohn-

Having the hammer locked back might be a good indication that their was "one in the pipe". Not many carry "Cocked and Locked" with an empty chamber.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    geojohn-

Having the hammer locked back might be a good indication that their was "one in the pipe". Not many carry "Cocked and Locked" with an empty chamber.
    Right, it was more of a rhetorical question. Presumably, it would have been OK with the trooper if the hammer were not cocked, whether a round was chambered or not. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by geojohn View Post
    Right, it was more of a rhetorical question. Presumably, it would have been OK with the trooper if the hammer were not cocked, whether a round was chambered or not. Weird.
    Then he might have challenged him on the lack of sufficient "retention"

Just a new trooper who had his "authority module" recently installed and still hasn't learned how to properly use it.
    Last edited by amlevin; 07-09-2011 at 11:20 AM.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I would almost bet he was a transplant from Californicate.

Thumbs up

The only time i can think of where that would be illegal is if you were hunting and your rifle was cocked and locked before you went out into the field. thats a nice ticket from fish and game.
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

Quote Originally Posted by Schlepnier View Post
    The only time i can think of where that would be illegal is if you were hunting and your rifle was cocked and locked before you went out into the field. thats a nice ticket from fish and game.
    Howdy!
    Well, there's your answer right there! That trooper probably noticed an elk or two drop by the Starbucks for a latte, and figured you'd likely try to bag your limit right there without displaying your game tag.

Good. Got that sorted out!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Campaign Veteran Right Wing Wacko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlepnier View Post
    Can you point out that regulation to me?

He can't becase it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Wing Wacko View Post
    Can you point out that regulation to me?

The rule he is trying to cite refers to loaded rifles in the vehicle. Has nothing to do with anything once you are outside the vehicle.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

SNIP

I recall reading somewhere that "Israeli carry" of a 1911 would be quicker with the hammer back. Theory was that the shooter only had to overcome the recoil spring when racking the slide. Not saying it's a good or bad idea, just saying that if it can be done with a handgun it probably will be.
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    So, then, Mr. Trooper was carrying his gun unloaded?!?
    Definitely not! Law Enforcement Exemption, you know.

But, have you ever noticed that there is no Law Enforcement Exemption to RCW 9.41.270....hmmmm? So, in a case like Josh's could it not be argued that a police officer who engages in exactly the same behavior as the subject they are issuing the citation to would also be guilty of the same if they were carrying their firearm at the time?
    Presumably the officer would claim that since police can lawfully open carry, seeing an armed cop does not warrant alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    Presumably the officer would claim that since police can lawfully open carry, seeing an armed cop does not warrant alarm.
    That doesn't hold water. Josh can legally open carry, too. Why does he "warrant alarm" and not the cop? I'm confused.

uh huh,,,

But, have you ever noticed that there is no Law Enforcement Exemption to RCW 9.41.270....hmmmm? So, in a case like Josh's could it not be argued that a police officer who engages in exactly the same behavior as the subject they are issuing the citation to would also be guilty of the same if they were carrying their firearm at the time?
    9.41.270 (3) (b) right there is your cop "out"!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    There it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Ajetpilot View Post
    That doesn't hold water. Josh can legally open carry, too. Why does he "warrant alarm" and not the cop? I'm confused.
    The openly-carrying, lawfully-behaving cop warrants the same level of alarm that an openly-carrying, lawfully-behaving citizen does.

Perhaps you should get your sarcasm module inspected? It seems to be malfunctioning.
    Last edited by Difdi; 07-11-2011 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    Sho nuff looks like the exception I was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Difdi
    seeing an armed cop does not warrant alarm.
    Seeing an armed cop, based on recent news, SHOULD warrant alarm. A Bothell man died in an encounter with a Deputy Sheriff this weekend. Also another post here describing how a former NFL player was shot under questionable circumstances.

Is it just me, or does it appear that lots more people are dying at the hands of Law Officers today? Is there a tendency to "shoot first, answer questions later" among our LEO's today or is this merely an illusion?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Is it just me, or does it appear that lots more people are dying at the hands of Law Officers today? Is there a tendency to "shoot first, answer questions later" among our LEO's today or is this merely an illusion?
    No illusion....
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)