• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

incorrect information

tobias5jun

I was in the Starbucks in Canyon Park, Bothell, Wa today and speaking to an obviously new State Patrol officer. I was open carrying my Taurus 1911 in condition one (cocked and locked) and he said, "You know that it's illegal to carry with one in the chamber, don't you?" I couldn't convince him otherwise so I called the State Patrol and spoke to a trooper of much more seniority. I think that the young trooper will be getting some remedial training.

G20-IWB24/7

He said it was illegal, but didn't bother arresting you.... he either knew he was wrong, or isn't going to make a very effective trooper...

DCKilla

This kid is no different than any person I know who quotes laws, but can't cite it. Go back to school and stop bothering me.:lol:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I was in the Starbucks in Canyon Park, Bothell, Wa today and speaking to an obviously new State Patrol officer. I was open carrying my Taurus 1911 in condition one (cocked and locked) and he said, "You know that it's illegal to carry with one in the chamber, don't you?" I couldn't convince him otherwise so I called the State Patrol and spoke to a trooper of much more seniority. I think that the young trooper will be getting some remedial training.

So I assume that you are typing this post from the Bothell jail tonight? Well, since it is illegal that could be the only explanation. Did you by chance get his badge number? If not perhaps a FOI to the command to find out who was working that evening then a quick follow up email to the command regarding open/conceal carry and the proper facts so that this officer keeps his mouth shut and worries about laws he has a clue about.

amlevin

So I assume that you are typing this post from the Bothell jail tonight? Well, since it is illegal that could be the only explanation. Did you by chance get his badge number? If not perhaps a FOI to the command to find out who was working that evening then a quick follow up email to the command regarding open/conceal carry and the proper facts so that this officer keeps his mouth shut and worries about laws he has a clue about.

With WSP it's easy to identify. Their license plate numbers are their "Badge Numbers". Exception is for the few "plain wrapper" cars that are used for special patrol emphasis or when someone is "borrowing the Sergeant's car"

geojohn-

Having the hammer locked back might be a good indication that their was "one in the pipe". Not many carry "Cocked and Locked" with an empty chamber.

geojohn

geojohn-

Having the hammer locked back might be a good indication that their was "one in the pipe". Not many carry "Cocked and Locked" with an empty chamber.

Right, it was more of a rhetorical question. Presumably, it would have been OK with the trooper if the hammer were not cocked, whether a round was chambered or not. Weird.

amlevin

Right, it was more of a rhetorical question. Presumably, it would have been OK with the trooper if the hammer were not cocked, whether a round was chambered or not. Weird.

Then he might have challenged him on the lack of sufficient "retention" ;)

Just a new trooper who had his "authority module" recently installed and still hasn't learned how to properly use it.

Last edited:

Schlepnier

The only time i can think of where that would be illegal is if you were hunting and your rifle was cocked and locked before you went out into the field. thats a nice ticket from fish and game.

M-Taliesin

The only time i can think of where that would be illegal is if you were hunting and your rifle was cocked and locked before you went out into the field. thats a nice ticket from fish and game.

Howdy!
Well, there's your answer right there! That trooper probably noticed an elk or two drop by the Starbucks for a latte, and figured you'd likely try to bag your limit right there without displaying your game tag.

Good. Got that sorted out!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Lammo

SNIP

I recall reading somewhere that "Israeli carry" of a 1911 would be quicker with the hammer back. Theory was that the shooter only had to overcome the recoil spring when racking the slide. Not saying it's a good or bad idea, just saying that if it can be done with a handgun it probably will be.

Difdi

But, have you ever noticed that there is no Law Enforcement Exemption to RCW 9.41.270....hmmmm? So, in a case like Josh's could it not be argued that a police officer who engages in exactly the same behavior as the subject they are issuing the citation to would also be guilty of the same if they were carrying their firearm at the time?

Presumably the officer would claim that since police can lawfully open carry, seeing an armed cop does not warrant alarm.

1245A Defender

uh huh,,,

But, have you ever noticed that there is no Law Enforcement Exemption to RCW 9.41.270....hmmmm? So, in a case like Josh's could it not be argued that a police officer who engages in exactly the same behavior as the subject they are issuing the citation to would also be guilty of the same if they were carrying their firearm at the time?

9.41.270 (3) (b) right there is your cop "out"!