• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Prohibited Places?????

Rick H

Can anybody find where it says we can NOT carry into a County Tax Collectors, County Water Dept, or other type places? Or are these ok places, Because I am not seeing it...
I went to get plates today and the County Sheriff that is posted there told me that it is Not an allowed place. What do you think?

(12)(a) A No license issued under pursuant to this section
50 does not shall authorize any person to openly carry a handgun or
51 carry a concealed weapon or firearm into:
52 1. Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05;
53 2. Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station;
54 3. Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
55 4. Any courthouse;
56 5. Any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would
57 preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining
58 who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom;
59 6. Any polling place;
60 7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public
61 school district, municipality, or special district;
62 8. Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof;
63 9. Any school, college, or professional athletic event not
64 related to firearms;
65 10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or
66 administration building;
67 11. Any career center;
68 12. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense
69 alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which
70 portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such
71 purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career
72 center;
73 13. Any college or university facility unless the licensee
74 is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such
75 college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal
76 electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes
77 and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile;
78 14. The inside of the passenger terminal and sterile area
79 of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from
80 carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is
81 encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as
82 baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or
83 15. Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited
84 by federal law.

im4Christ92

If it has a sheriff substation, then probably not allowed. Were you printing? I try to go to the one without a substation as you are correct, it is not prohibited there.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Mas49.56

A few cops don't know what is really legal or not. They just know what they don't like, so they offer personal OPINIONS. If it's just a county tax office it's perfectly legal for a permit holder to carry there. I've done it many times.

Rich7553

Rick H -

Several months ago, I had to renew the registration on my car. I went to the local office of the Lee County Tax Collector's office and was surprised to see a "no firearms/weapons" sign on the door. It had only been there for two weeks, according to the clerk who handled my transaction. When I got home, I fired off an e-mail to the County Tax Collector and asked under what authority could the county forbid firearms in the office. I got a reply within an hour that they would find out from the department responsible for management of the building, as that is where the sign came from. About two hours after that, I got an e-mail that the sign would be removed by the end of the next business day. Sure enough, it was gone the next day.

Please let me know in which county and at which office the sign exists. Florida Carry will have its legal staff contact the agency and get the sign removed. Also, if it is possible, please take a picture of the sign and send it to rich@floridacarry.org.

Last edited:

mrjam2jab

If it has a sheriff substation, then probably not allowed. Were you printing? I try to go to the one without a substation as you are correct, it is not prohibited there.

I would think that if a sheriff substation was sharing a county building, then only that particular section used by the sheriff would be prohibited...not the entire building.

ADulay

Please let me know in which county and at which office the sign exists. Florida Carry will have its legal staff contact the agency and get the sign removed. Also, if it is possible, please take a picture of the sign and send it to rich@floridacarry.org.

To everybody reading this.

Rich WILL follow up on any of these signs you find and if you will take the time to take a photo of it, that reallys helps out.

AD (sent in a few myself!)

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
Of course, the easy answer would have been to ask him what specific statute he was referring to for your personal edification. "Not being argumentative, deputy, I'd just like to know what specific statute prohibits carry here."

Odds are better than average, he won't be able to name one.

Whereupon, essentially, he'll drop it like a hot license plate.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Rich7553

Howdy Amigo!
Of course, the easy answer would have been to ask him what specific statute he was referring to for your personal edification. "Not being argumentative, deputy, I'd just like to know what specific statute prohibits carry here."

Odds are better than average, he won't be able to name one.

Whereupon, essentially, he'll drop it like a hot license plate.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

You're right, except for your last statement. The deputy would cite the ordinance. And he'd be right. The legal precedent is that ordinances are considered lawful until successfully challenged in court. That's why the new statute provides for "loser pays". It's not that ordinances couldn't be challenged up till now, it's that even if you won you'd be stuck with a hefty legal bill. That changes on October 1st.

Last edited:

Rick H

Rick H -

Several months ago, I had to renew the registration on my car. I went to the local office of the Lee County Tax Collector's office and was surprised to see a "no firearms/weapons" sign on the door. It had only been there for two weeks, according to the clerk who handled my transaction. When I got home, I fired off an e-mail to the County Tax Collector and asked under what authority could the county forbid firearms in the office. I got a reply within an hour that they would find out from the department responsible for management of the building, as that is where the sign came from. About two hours after that, I got an e-mail that the sign would be removed by the end of the next business day. Sure enough, it was gone the next day.

There is not a sign but the officer said this as a statement. I will go back up there and ask him if he can re-sight the info for me or show evidence of his statement.
I'll let you all know.

10x

Thanks guys, I go to church and leave my gun in the car because I thought it was illegal. I will feel better now that I can carry there. Some of these prohibid laws are just plain nonsense, every time I do not have my gun on me I feel naked and vulnerable. Hopefully we can change some this and be allowed to carry everywhere!

hammer6

A few cops don't know what is really legal or not. They just know what they don't like, so they offer personal OPINIONS. If it's just a county tax office it's perfectly legal for a permit holder to carry there. I've done it many times.

few? don't you mean most?

hammer6

my son was playing a travel baseball tournament in kissimmee this past week, and this was the second time we had gone to this particular place for a tournament. it is the Osceola County Softball Complex, and it has a "no firearms allowed" sign at the entrance.

now, my thought it, the county can't put that sign up there because a county park isn't a prohibited place. but my other thought was, if the people who rented the park for the tournament put it up there, maybe it would be legal. but then i would just carry discretely.

whatcha think?

Ironside

my son was playing a travel baseball tournament in kissimmee this past week, and this was the second time we had gone to this particular place for a tournament. it is the Osceola County Softball Complex, and it has a "no firearms allowed" sign at the entrance.

now, my thought it, the county can't put that sign up there because a county park isn't a prohibited place. but my other thought was, if the people who rented the park for the tournament put it up there, maybe it would be legal. but then i would just carry discretely.

whatcha think?

Reading 790.06 (12) a park with an athletic event which is not (...any school, college, or professional athletic event...) is not a prohibited place and the county is in error with their sign.

Good test case?