• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy checking in

SickPythons

Hello all,

I'm Jake from Griswold and I have been browsing this forum from time to time and would certainly like to know more about OC and other gun issues.

I have never carried openly and rarely carry at all (it seems that most places I go will involve drinking in some capacity), but I do like to know the rules when I end up carrying. I have a few questions about your carry routines and will address them in separate threads.

I am going to be taking my NRA Pistol Instructor's course next weekend so I will definitely want to have the correct information for my future students. I'm sure most of my questions will be answered at the class, but, from what I can see here, any loose ends will surely be tied up through this forum.

So, you will probably see quite a bit of me around here pretty soon.

Cheers!

Jake

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Welcome to OCDO!!!!! This is the right place if you want to learn new things and become better informed about OC and gun rights in general.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
Welcome to our forum, and glad you decided to jump in and start posting.

Meanwhile, back at the OC corral, I've been carrying everywhere, everyday, for a couple of months now. I simply go about my routine business and carry as I run around town doing errands, shopping, conducting personal business, or just hanging out. I've carried in several towns nearby and into Nebraska, Kansas and other OC friendly areas.

Ain't had a lick of trouble over it yet, and hope I can be a good ambassador for OC in Colorado. So far, so good. (knock wood... or shoot at it, as the case might be!)

Again, welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your time here.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

customcreationllc

Correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding of drinking while caring in Connecticut anyways.
This is the only law I could find on it.
The legal limit is .10 which is higher than Driving which is .08, my guess is when the drive limit was lowered they forgot about caring a firearm.

But the catch all phrase "while under the influence of intoxicating liquor" what does that mean exactly? I would think they mean you need to pass a road side sobriety test well a less strict one since it should be fore .10 not .08

I don't know if (A) and (B) are separate like you can be intoxicated but not be over .10 or intoxication means over .10
I could never get a straight answer, I only get just don't drink.

Now I by no means want you to think I got out to drinking while caring.
I don't see anything wrong with having a beer with dinner, I limit to 1 beer an hour, I was always told your body can process 1 beer per hour, so I hang out sip on a beer no one is like dude why aren't you drinking etc.

I always go by the CT clearinghouse chart I carry it my wallet, I have something to argue about "I fallowed what you suggested" I don't know if it will hold up.
http://www.ctclearinghouse.org/topics/customer-files/Alcohol-Impairment-Chart-041205.pdf

The CT State Statute.
Sec. 53-206d. Carrying a firearm while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drug prohibited. Hunting while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drug or while impaired by the consumption of intoxicating liquor prohibited. (a)(1) No person shall carry a pistol, revolver, machine gun, shotgun, rifle or other firearm, which is loaded and from which a shot may be discharged, upon his person (A) while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug, or both, or (B) while the ratio of alcohol in the blood of such person is ten-hundredths of one per cent or more of alcohol, by weight.

(2) Any person who violates any provision of this subsection shall be guilty of a class B misdemeanor.

(b) (1) No person shall engage in hunting while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug, or both, or while impaired by the consumption of intoxicating liquor. A person shall be deemed under the influence when at the time of the alleged offense the person (A) is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug, or both, or (B) has an elevated blood alcohol content. For the purposes of this subdivision, "elevated blood alcohol content" means (i) a ratio of alcohol in the blood of such person that is ten-hundredths of one per cent or more of alcohol, by weight, or (ii) if such person has been convicted of a violation of this subsection, a ratio of alcohol in the blood of such person that is seven-hundredths of one per cent or more of alcohol, by weight. A person shall be deemed impaired when at the time of the alleged offense the ratio of alcohol in the blood of such person was more than seven-hundredths of one per cent of alcohol, by weight, but less than ten-hundredths of one per cent of alcohol, by weight.

(2) Any person who violates any provision of this subsection shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor.

(3) Enforcement officers of the Department of Environmental Protection are empowered to arrest for a violation of the provisions of this subsection.

(P.A. 98-129, S. 20; P.A. 00-142, S. 3.)

History: P.A. 00-142 amended Subsec. (a) by designating provisions as Subdiv. (1), making technical changes therein, designated former Subsec. (b) as Subsec. (a)(2), making a technical change therein, and added new Subsec. (b) re hunting under the influence.

Last edited:

SickPythons

Thanks for the welcomes. I am surprised to see out-of-staters checking in on our forum. Maybe I posted this in the wrong section. I figured that most of my open carry questions would be specific to state regulation so I went with it.

@customcreationllc:

Thanks for the info. I don't think I've ever seen the actual rule written out before. I will definitely keep that in mind in the future. I have a buddy that doesn't drink at all because he carries 24/7.

For the record, I'm not a drunk with a gun. I am a bit of a beer connoiseur and actually the president of the Eastern CT Beer Club. So you can see where I could run into carrying issues.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Thanks for the welcomes. I am surprised to see out-of-staters checking in on our forum. Maybe I posted this in the wrong section. I figured that most of my open carry questions would be specific to state regulation so I went with it.

Nope you're in the right spot. A lot of out-of-staters travel so they get involved. In my case, I care about your gun rights as much as mine. I like to look at the other states to learn new things and help if I can. Keep on posting!!! :)

KIX

You are good for not carrying with alcohol.

I attend the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners hearings every month and I can tell you...... Alcohol and firearms are, by far, the biggest reason for revocation hearings!

That being said, welcome to the forum and as an instructor. I have a lot of fun teaching classes and making sure the students know what is legal is a good thing. Too many instructors seem to think we have concealed carry permits here in CT.

Jonathan