• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

About to blow a gasket.....

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
Wisconsin Concealed Carry Basic Pistol Course Licensing

$120 + 5 boxes of ammo

On top of that, you then have to pay the state fee.

YAY !!!!! You can CC in WI for the bargain basement price of $300 !!!!!!!!!!!

Worst for me, is that this is a person I HIGHLY respect. It's being put on by easily the most qualified people in the ENTIRE state, possibly the midwest.

The students will be HIGHLY trained compaired to hunter's safety, but that's not the point.

THIS MUST STOP. CC should stand for CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY. A person can take a hunter's safety course for $30 and be qualified. Does this mean they are well trained, no. Carrying is a RIGHT, not something that should be price gouged.

Do I want to take pistol handling and marksmanship courses? YES.

I WILL NEVER TAKE ONE FROM A PERSON WHO MARKETS IT AS AN SB93 QUAL COURSE FOR HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS.

Grizz272

WCTC in Pewaukee is offering classes for $80.00 with no ammo needed. A shooting simulator is used, There is the Maryland course that has appeared in here that is real cheap, Maybe free, and I just saw a story that the Wisconsin DOJ will be offering a online course not sure if there is a charge for that one. So high cost courses are not needed.

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
I have dual quals, so it has no effect on me.

It's the principle of it

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO CARRY......... for $300

Captain Nemo

I wonder how many will get suckered into this shell game not knowing they may already have satisfactory proof of training. I have three forms of certification. Hunters safety certificate, Military proof of small arms qualification and the MD police firearms training course. My total cost $14. I wonder how many people will sign up for the high priced training out of ignorance of what qualifies as training? Not knowing they may already be qualified. Of course if that's how they want to spend their money that's their business. Caveat Emptor.

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
I wonder how many will get suckered into this shell game not knowing they may already have satisfactory proof of training. I have three forms of certification. Hunters safety certificate, Military proof of small arms qualification and the MD police firearms training course. My total cost $14. I wonder how many people will sign up for the high priced training out of ignorance of what qualifies as training? Not knowing they may already be qualified. Of course if that's how they want to spend their money that's their business. Caveat Emptor.

exactly

Teej

The people have the right to carry with minimal training.

IMHO, they have the responsibility not to.

By that, I mean I've seen strangers and coached friends through their first time firing a gun. I'm really disappointed in anyone who chooses to carry without a lot more experience than the State requires.

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
The people have the right to carry with minimal training.

IMHO, they have the responsibility not to.

By that, I mean I've seen strangers and coached friends through their first time firing a gun. I'm really disappointed in anyone who chooses to carry without a lot more experience than the State requires.

You're missing the point and ignoring the 2nd Amendment

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
He is missing the point of the thread but he's not ignoring the 2A at all. Rights come with responsibility. He's not advocating government mandated training.

Teej,
The point of the thread is that some people may be taken advantage of because they think they need an expensive course to meet the letter of the law.

Last edited:

Teej

That point was not lost on me, I assure you.

I was gonna say a lot more, but I'm just gonna let it go except for one thing...where's this "$120 and 5 boxes of ammo" course? I looked over on WCC and didn't see it. I'm curious if it specifically says it's what's required for WI or of it's a general course or covers UT/MN/FL permits as well.

Last edited:

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
That point was not lost on me, I assure you.

I was gonna say a lot more, but I'm just gonna let it go except for one thing...where's this "$120 and 5 boxes of ammo" course? I looked over on WCC and didn't see it. I'm curious if it specifically says it's what's required for WI or of it's a general course or covers UT/MN/FL permits as well.

It's an NRA course. I didn't not say who it's with, for stated reason.

My first sentence was the advertised course name

Tom Maassen

I believe that's a rip off. You can walk into any gun store with an indoor range and rent it for an hour. Tell the guy behind the counter to run you through a quick course, and half of them will bring there own gun in and shoot with you while teaching you the basics.

5 boxes of ammo? Wow. I can blow through that having fun at the ranges, but I think that's excessive for "training".

wild boar

Don't you just have to have compleated...

weapons training, basic training? I'm an expert with a rifle, three years, Honorable discharge. Good enough, isn't it? boar out.

SFCRetired

weapons training, basic training? I'm an expert with a rifle, three years, Honorable discharge. Good enough, isn't it? boar out.
No. Expert: M1 Garand, M14, M16, G3, M1911A1, P38 with 21 years and honorably retired.:D Not to mention familiarization with the M2 and the BAR (God, does that ever date me!!)

Seriously, I don't have a dog in this hunt, being in Alabama. All we do is walk in the sheriff's office, go through a background check, pay the fee, get photographed, and a week or so later, we have the concealed pistol permit.

Were it not for the extensive training my rich uncle gave me, I would be looking for more. Montgomery PD has a free course that may be well worth the while and I am thinking of taking it. I will also probably take my wife and see if I can get her to try shooting.

wild boar

73-76 m16a1

No. Expert: M1 Garand, M14, M16, G3, M1911A1, P38 with 21 years and honorably retired.:D Not to mention familiarization with the M2 and the BAR (God, does that ever date me!!)

Seriously, I don't have a dog in this hunt, being in Alabama. All we do is walk in the sheriff's office, go through a background check, pay the fee, get photographed, and a week or so later, we have the concealed pistol permit.

Were it not for the extensive training my rich uncle gave me, I would be looking for more. Montgomery PD has a free course that may be well worth the while and I am thinking of taking it. I will also probably take my wife and see if I can get her to try shooting.

My two daughters, 24,and 29, the ol lady, all disciplined paper cutters. Don't believe they could kill, so for their sake I don't encourage them to carry. I Would rather they used an electronic weapon. boar out.

ksks

We'll have to get an opioion by the AG. I don't know if they will count training with the flintlock!:lol:

Last edited:

VW_Factor

Is this simply a concealed "safety" training class? I mean, you are going to be buying ammo for the class, it sounds pretty in-depth such as defensive training and concepts..

Out here in Oregon, we have both options. A cheaper $30 "basic safety" type class, and then the more expensive in depth classroom with range time classes.

Are you sure this trainer isn't simply doing the safety along with more training? I know CC is pretty new for WI now, so don't get those types of classes confused..