• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what happens if i carry in a bar?

hvtopiwala

so if i am carrying in a bar, and i get caught carrying, what is the punishment for that? fine? jail time? i usually carry when i go out, cuz i feel like thats when im in the most danger, but im starting to consider not carrying as of the risks of getting caught...

mrjam2jab

(12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

4.a. Except as provided in sub-subparagraph b., for a life felony committed on or after September 1, 2005, which is a violation of s. 800.04(5)(b), by:
(I) A term of imprisonment for life; or
(II) A split sentence that is a term of not less than 25 years’ imprisonment and not exceeding life imprisonment, followed by probation or community control for the remainder of the person’s natural life, as provided in s. 948.012(4).
b. For a life felony committed on or after July 1, 2008, which is a person’s second or subsequent violation of s. 800.04(5)(b), by a term of imprisonment for life.
(b) For a felony of the first degree, by a term of imprisonment not exceeding 30 years or, when specifically provided by statute, by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life imprisonment.
(c) For a felony of the second degree, by a term of imprisonment not exceeding 15 years.
(d) For a felony of the third degree, by a term of imprisonment not exceeding 5 years.
(4) A person who has been convicted of a designated misdemeanor may be sentenced as follows:
(a) For a misdemeanor of the first degree, by a definite term of imprisonment not exceeding 1 year;
(b) For a misdemeanor of the second degree, by a definite term of imprisonment not exceeding 60 days.

775.083 Fines.—
(1) A person who has been convicted of an offense other than a capital felony may be sentenced to pay a fine in addition to any punishment described in s. 775.082; when specifically authorized by statute, he or she may be sentenced to pay a fine in lieu of any punishment described in s. 775.082. A person who has been convicted of a noncriminal violation may be sentenced to pay a fine. Fines for designated crimes and for noncriminal violations shall not exceed:
(a) $15,000, when the conviction is of a life felony.
(b) $10,000, when the conviction is of a felony of the first or second degree.
(c) $5,000, when the conviction is of a felony of the third degree.
(d) $1,000, when the conviction is of a misdemeanor of the first degree.
(e) $500, when the conviction is of a misdemeanor of the second degree or a noncriminal violation.
(f) Any higher amount equal to double the pecuniary gain derived from the offense by the offender or double the pecuniary loss suffered by the victim.
(g) Any higher amount specifically authorized by statute.

Did ya follow all that? :)

CowboyJustice

so if i am carrying in a bar, and i get caught carrying, what is the punishment for that? fine? jail time? i usually carry when i go out, cuz i feel like thats when im in the most danger, but im starting to consider not carrying as of the risks of getting caught...

It does not matter what the punishments would/are for "getting caught". The point of the matter, is that you are inquiring about whether or not the punishment for breaking a law, would be severe enough to not "risk" breaking a law. Bottom line= your breaking the law!

First off, the mere fact of you asking this question, provides proof that you should not be carrying a firearm on your person, EVER. People such as yourself, are the reason law abiding gun owners have to deal with the media and others preaching "gun owners can not be trusted"!

Second, if your statement: "im starting to consider not carrying as of the risks of getting caught", is a serious one... I ask you to please, in the consideration of law abiding gun owners, ABSOLUTELY STOP CARRYING A FIREARM! You obviously have been and continue to, illegally carry your firearm. Except of course, when you are worried of being caught doing so.

Third, if an individual decides to carry a tool (firearm in this case) for the purposes of self protection, said individual needs to know the laws that govern their doing so, without question! Go to http://www.handgunlaw.us for state by state gun laws.

Lastly, it is rather disheartening to know that you and others like you, are the reason a good portion of the general public believe the b.s. that "gun owners can't be trusted"!

If you were caught (which might be best in your case), you would be fined, jailed, ect... But more importantly, local news would most likely run a small story, of a local man arrested for illegally carrying/concealing a firearm. As I am sure it has yet to even come into consideration by yourself, do you realize how many local gun owners your selfish and idiotic carelessness, would effect?

If I have misunderstood your question, correct me. If not, immediately put your gun in a safe and only bring it out for range time. As well, do not carry your firearm without knowing and understanding your local laws. Thus, when you have another question, it is not pertaining to your taking intentional "risks" of breaking a law.

STOP CARRYING COMPLETE!!! To answer your question.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Oh, this is a legitimate thread. When I read the thread title, I thought it was the opening line for a new joke. :p:)

hvtopiwala

ok firsrt off, i am a law abiding citizen and have been carrying for several months. i carry my firearm to protect my life, and i carry everywhere i go, and it HAS saved my life more than once. i carry to bars and nightclubs, because that is where i believe the most danger normally is (people get drunk, act stupid, pull weapons on u and u are defenseless). i am willing to go to jail to protect me, and my family. and when i said stop carrying because of the risks, i was referring to carrying in bars and nightclubs, not carry entirely. have u ever gone to an ale house and walked to the bathroom while carrying a firearm? if you have, YOU BROKE THE LAW SO MAYBE YOU SHOULD STOP CARRYING TOO??? you should watch who you are talking too before you start calling people selfish and the reason why people are scared of guns.

Last edited:

CowboyJustice

ok firsrt off, i am a law abiding citizen and have been carrying for several months. i carry my firearm to protect my life, and i carry everywhere i go, and it HAS saved my life more than once. i carry to bars and nightclubs, because that is where i believe the most danger normally is (people get drunk, act stupid, pull weapons on u and u are defenseless). i am willing to go to jail to protect me, and my family. and when i said stop carrying because of the risks, i was referring to carrying in bars and nightclubs, not carry entirely. have u ever gone to an ale house and walked to the bathroom while carrying a firearm? if you have, YOU BROKE THE LAW SO MAYBE YOU SHOULD STOP CARRYING TOO??? you should watch who you are talking too before you start calling people selfish and the reason why people are scared of guns.

As I stated, correct me if I'm wrong. With that said, no, I have not gone to an "ale house" or any derivative of such with a firearm. It's illegal and stays in my vehicle. I have carried for many years, both oc and cc. The odd thing is that I have never gone to any establishment, which A) does not allow my carrying of a firearm and B) where "gangsters" are drunk and looking for a fight. I avoid most situations with which I might need to use my firearm, regardless of my oc'ing or cc'ing.

Based on your minor clarification (needed in original posting), you are still stating that a law is up for ones interpretation. To which, I must say, it is not! The fact that you "clarified" to some degree, reiterating the fact that you have been and currently continue breaking the law, when at bars, clubs, ect. Because you don't feel safe. Why the hell are you intentionally going to a place "where i believe the most danger normally is (people get drunk, act stupid, pull weapons on u and u are defenseless)" in the first place? To top it off, you think that by going to these "unsafe" places strapped, it's going to make it safe.?. I got news for you... If you are going to a place with prior knowledge, that drunken idiots might use their firearm (or any variation of such), what makes you honestly believe that these drunken idiots would be persuaded just because you can whip one out too?

Lastly, I stand entirely behind my prior statements. You should stop playing Cowboys and Indians, and get real. Not to mention using that thing in-between your shoulders. Honestly bud, don't be offended (just read what you wrote aloud) by what I have told you. Instead, use it as motivation to get educated on the laws, training and so on. When you fire back at me with "you should watch who you are talking too before you start calling people selfish and the reason why people are scared of guns". Maybe you should watch your tongue and think before opening your mouth (said non-threateningly). Especially based on your prior statements, you are going to encounter an individual one of these days, who could care less. At that point, your cowboys and indians game is over and your "family" is missing there loved one.

Don't be stupid, for your families sake.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I'm with OP. The following video will show what happens when you don't break the law. You get to watch your family die in front of you.

[video=youtube;DEJFAvA-ZUE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEJFAvA-ZUE[/video]

With that said, I avoid areas where I would expect trouble/people looking to pick fights. Night clubs...meh...not worth my time. Check out what happened at Panama City's school board meeting, everyone in the room was obeying the law, what kept them alive? An active shooter with a terrible shot!

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
5506.jpg

^ This

230therapy

Any law that violates the Constitutions* IS NO LAW AT ALL. The ACTUAL problem is all the idiot Americans who follow those laws anyway...and then (verbally and socially) blast other Americans who don't.

Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

* Federal and state.

wild boar

Way back then...

Any law that violates the Constitutions* IS NO LAW AT ALL. The ACTUAL problem is all the idiot Americans who follow those laws anyway...and then (verbally and socially) blast other Americans who don't.

Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

* Federal and state.

...you could face stupid in the street and kill it. This, IMHO, would solve a lot of problems

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
lolpost.png

I will be stealing this quote from you and using it over and over again with my fellow CWL holders at work who worship the CWL of florida and all it's holiness..

CowboyJustice

* Federal and state.

I fully agree with your statement. However, being arrested, jailed, fined, ect. will leave you with a record, massive fines and above all... Gunless. If you are telling me that you believe it is okay to not follow certain laws due to their infringement of the Constitution, then you would also be telling me that you could careless about carrying a firearm for self protection.

It is simple, nowadays, the laws in place are to force Americans to live in a constant state of fear and/or to live dependent on the local/state/federal for protection. However, this does not mean those are the only options. The other is carrying a firearm. By exercising your right to do so, unfortunately you must follow the laws governing such. By choosing not to do so, you risk never being able to carry a firearm again. Is it your opinion that the aforementioned is worth it?

IMHO I would rather avoid such places or situations (if possible) and continue with protecting my person and property. Your belief that laws in violation of the Constitution, are not laws, is theoretically correct. But your contradiction that continuing to break "laws" in order to do so, is okay. Well, that is incorrect. By doing so you give up your right to protecting yourself and family via firearm. So at that point, would you believe that breaking the "law" was the best thing? Or avoiding such places and continuing to utilize your right?

Good quote by the way.

hvtopiwala

im not going to stop living my life, and not enjoy myself by not going out with my family and friends to places that prohibit firearms. im willing to go to jail for my family by carrying in a prohibited place if it saves their lives, and i hope any1 would be willing to go to jail for their family. some laws are bloody ridiculous...i have a right to protect my life from drunk idiots, and i believe everyone does.

and to further clarify what u wrote...its not illegal to carry in ale house, but it is illegal to be in the bar area of the establishment with a firearm but i gurantee you 50% of CWP holders have done it

tcmech

I don't necessarily agree with breaking the law, and I am not sure what your definition of family is because we all have different situations. If you are carrying a concealed weapon in a prohibited area, the only advice that can really be helpful here is either don't, find an area where you believe you will be safe and leave your gun at home (that's probably your most dangerous area), or check out the definition of concealed. Don't show it, don't talk about it, deny you even own a gun if asked about it.

I live in Virginia and here we can carry openly and consume alcohol in bars, I am not getting into don't drink while you are carrying debate at the moment, or we can conceal carry and not consume alcohol. I will not carry concealed and drink in a bar, I don't usually open carry in a bar either but being married with children I don't usually make it in to many bars. I did carry in several malls that people tell me are off limits when my daughter was living at home, but I always made sure I walked in a door that did not have a no guns sign on it. When you are walking into a place with your wife and child knowing that if you need defend them you can it really puts things into perspective.

FUBAR

If you have only been carring for several months and it has saved your life more than once, you need to change your life style!!! I only hope you get arrested before you get killed or you kill some one else. It is really hard to protect your family when your not here, for what ever reason. This is just MHO.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
What happens when you carry into a bar?

Well, since it's concealed it's unenforcible... You can't see it. Nobody can.

Nothing happens when you carry into a bar. No matter how many times you do it. I choose not to reveal how I know this. ;-)