• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FREE WISCONSIN CCW COURSE ONLINE !! Don't pay, unless it's for training !

awnuts

Boy this whole idea is bogus.MD set this up for people to get one part of training to buy a gun.Read the small print at the bottom.It states this is just a part of the requirements to get a gun. Nothing about a requirement to CC. Nothing on the site is posted as a training for CC. If you live in MD and want to buy a gun this is fine.If you dont I cant see it being accepted anywhere because its not designed for CC at all. Why not just create forged cc licenses in wisconsin? Yout talking about ways to get around paying money.If your not willing to invest the time and money then I dont see why you should carry a weapon.My other thought is this is an open carry site.We should be promoting open carry and leave the cc to the cc sites online.

grinner

I agree. I'm tired of all the talk of cc on this OPEN carry forum.

But I have to disagree on the dislike for the free online training. I wasn't a fan of the training requirement in the first place. So why not take advantage of free and easy training that meets the requirement? I'm not anti-training. I'm just anti required training. So I'll do something cheap and easy to meet the requirement and continue to educate myself, as I have in the past, to suit my needs for carrying a gun. Two separate things in my book: voluntary training that I'll pay for, and required training that I'm happy to get for free.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Boy this whole idea is bogus.MD set this up for people to get one part of training to buy a gun.Read the small print at the bottom.It states this is just a part of the requirements to get a gun. Nothing about a requirement to CC. Nothing on the site is posted as a training for CC. If you live in MD and want to buy a gun this is fine.If you dont I cant see it being accepted anywhere because its not designed for CC at all. Why not just create forged cc licenses in wisconsin? Yout talking about ways to get around paying money.If your not willing to invest the time and money then I dont see why you should carry a weapon.My other thought is this is an open carry site.We should be promoting open carry and leave the cc to the cc sites online.

Don't be ridiculous! I want training, I am just loathe to accept the state mandating training. It is an infringement on my rights. As for your statements that the MD course isn't for cc, no ****! MD is a may issue state, very few people have a concealed carry permit. This class is just for a MD resident to use a gun at a firing range or transport it outside their house, unloaded, encased. It is kinda like the IL FOID card. IL residents can't even buy ammunition without it.

I do my gun carrying legally. I don't support permits of any kind. I will get a WI permit because I believe it will allow me to move the ball forward. I have other training I can send into to get my permit, however I will send the MD certificate because it is the minimum prescribed by law. It's to make a point to my legislators that the training requirement is RIDICULOUS. Once they realize it, hopefully they will remove it.

XD40-OD

Campaign Veteran
I agree. I'm tired of all the talk of cc on this OPEN carry forum.

But I have to disagree on the dislike for the free online training. I wasn't a fan of the training requirement in the first place. So why not take advantage of free and easy training that meets the requirement? I'm not anti-training. I'm just anti required training. So I'll do something cheap and easy to meet the requirement and continue to educate myself, as I have in the past, to suit my needs for carrying a gun. Two separate things in my book: voluntary training that I'll pay for, and required training that I'm happy to get for free.

I'm sure the board would rather the talk, than the potential to lose members

your second point is mine exactly

mrjam2jab

NRA Basic Pistol has nothing to do with CC either...but most states accept that as training. What's the difference?

awnuts

Don't be ridiculous! I want training, I am just loathe to accept the state mandating training. It is an infringement on my rights. As for your statements that the MD course isn't for cc, no ****! MD is a may issue state, very few people have a concealed carry permit. This class is just for a MD resident to use a gun at a firing range or transport it outside their house, unloaded, encased. It is kinda like the IL FOID card. IL residents can't even buy ammunition without it.

I do my gun carrying legally. I don't support permits of any kind. I will get a WI permit because I believe it will allow me to move the ball forward. I have other training I can send into to get my permit, however I will send the MD certificate because it is the minimum prescribed by law. It's to make a point to my legislators that the training requirement is RIDICULOUS. Once they realize it, hopefully they will remove it.

Way I see it the state issues the license.A driving license is state issued.You dont think you should need one to drive? If the state issues a license it means theres normally a requirement to get it.Everyone keeps yelling about our right to have a gun as covered in the second ammendment. Yes it says we have the right to bear arms but it doesnt say where and when and thats where we got snookered.So the states moved in and decided where and when for us. I suggest reading at a cc site and get informed on the legalitys of carrying concealed.Its not all as clear cut as you make it seem. USCCA.com is a good place to start. As for the restrictions you feel such as why should i cover it up? then dont just keep open carrying and forget concealed. Open carry is less restrictive and easier to deal with but till we get acceptance its not going to work well. Concealed carry is not what this forum is about.And if you promote open then you should be striving to achieve the goal. Gee think of this, open carry you dont need a license and training.Which is what everyone is beefing about on concealed.Quit beefing and open carry problem solved.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran

Hunters Safety has nothing to do with CC YET....IT'S GOOD TO GO FOR YOUR ccw PERMIT..

paul@paul-fisher.com

Way I see it the state issues the license.A driving license is state issued.You dont think you should need one to drive? If the state issues a license it means theres normally a requirement to get it.Everyone keeps yelling about our right to have a gun as covered in the second ammendment. Yes it says we have the right to bear arms but it doesnt say where and when and thats where we got snookered.So the states moved in and decided where and when for us. I suggest reading at a cc site and get informed on the legalitys of carrying concealed.Its not all as clear cut as you make it seem. USCCA.com is a good place to start. As for the restrictions you feel such as why should i cover it up? then dont just keep open carrying and forget concealed. Open carry is less restrictive and easier to deal with but till we get acceptance its not going to work well. Concealed carry is not what this forum is about.And if you promote open then you should be striving to achieve the goal. Gee think of this, open carry you dont need a license and training.Which is what everyone is beefing about on concealed.Quit beefing and open carry problem solved.

Gee, thanks!!! Problem solved, why didn't I think of that? :banghead:

I plan on mostly open carrying. However, I will need the permit to open or conceal carry in the following places:

1. In a government building.
2. In a place that serves alcohol by the drink. No, I don't plan on going bar hopping but I do like going to Texas Roadhouse and I can't.
3. Within 1000' of a school.
4. In a car. This is still being debated but WI case law says that if it isn't plainly visible from the outside (basically sitting on your dash), it's concealed.
5. In a state park.

Why don't you read the law and until then shut the **** up!

As for 'till we get acceptance', who the **** is 'we'? You live in New Mexico. I open carry most everywhere I go that is legal. I get ZERO issues around here and now that the 'carrying a gun is not DC' is law and there are consequences if a LEO harasses us, I expect less issues.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

Boy this whole idea is bogus.MD set this up for people to get one part of training to buy a gun.Read the small print at the bottom.It states this is just a part of the requirements to get a gun. Nothing about a requirement to CC. Nothing on the site is posted as a training for CC.

Since you aren't reading the law yourself, here are the details as to what training is legal:

175.60 (4) TRAINING REQUIREMENTS. (a) The proof of training
requirement under sub. (7) (e) may be met by any of
the following:
1. A copy of a document, or an affidavit from an
instructor or organization that conducted the course or
program, that indicates the individual completed any of
the following:
a. The hunter education program established under s.
29.591 or a substantially similar program that is established
by another state, country, or province and that is
recognized by the department of natural resources.
^WI Hunters safety doesn't cover concealed carry and mentions handguns once.^

b. A firearms safety or training course that is conducted
by a national or state organization that certifies
firearms instructors.
^Hmmm... NRA First steps or Basic Pistol doesn't cover concealed carry.^

c. A firearms safety or training course that is available
to the public and is offered by a law enforcement
agency
or, if the course is taught by an instructor who is
certified by a national or state organization that certifies
firearms instructors or by the department, by a technical
college, a college or a university, a private or public institution
or organization, or a firearms training school.
^Gee, sounds like the MD state police course.^

d. A firearms safety or training course that is offered
to law enforcement officers or to owners and employees
of licensed private detective and security agencies.
^WI doesn't allow concealed carry by security guards until SB93 comes into effect AND they get a permit.^

e. A firearms safety or training course that is conducted
by a firearms instructor who is certified by a
national or state organization that certifies firearms
instructors or who is certified by the department.
^No concealed training requirement here^

2. Documentation that the individual completed military,
law enforcement, or security training that gave the
individual experience with firearms that is substantially
equivalent to a course or program under subd. 1.
^Still no concealed training.^

3. A current or expired license, or a photocopy of a
current or expired license, that the individual holds or has
held that indicates that the individual is licensed or has
been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or in another
state or in a county or municipality of this state or of
another state unless the license has been revoked for
cause.
^Gee, the 1st thing that has ANYTHING to do with concealed carry!^

4. Documentation of completion of small arms training
while serving in the U.S. armed forces, reserves, or
national guard as demonstrated by an honorable discharge
or general discharge under honorable conditions
or a certificate of completion of basic training with a service
record of successful completion of small arms training
and certification.
^Know of very few military that conceal carry.^

(b) 1. The department shall certify instructors for the
purposes of par. (a) 1. c. and e. and shall maintain a list
of instructors that it certifies. To be certified by the
department as an instructor, a person must meet all of the
following criteria:
a. Be qualified under sub. (3) to carry a concealed
weapon.
b. Be able to demonstrate the ability and knowledge
required for providing firearms safety and training.
2. The department may not require firing live ammunition
to meet the training requirements under par. (a).

Last edited:

awnuts

truthfully I dont give a rats @## about wisc. I do support open carry thats why I'm here. I also support cc at another website. As to WE its us,we as open carry users need to promote open carry to get the public acceptance WE need. The only reason I ever even been to wisc is because a great percentage of my family lives there.

You read D. as to everyone in wisc?

MD is not offering that to law enforcement or owners of or employees of detective agencys.
Damn you twist things to suit your needs.By your own words wisc doesnt fall under MD training.

HandyHamlet

Hey Paul. It's about time someone from New Mexico set you straight. You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Quit beefing and open carry problem solved.

Golly gee whiz. Why didn't I think of that?

Oh yah, something about the fact that I live in a maze of overlapping school zones... And CAN'T set foot off my property while open carrying without getting arrested.

truthfully I dont give a rats @## about wisc.

Me thinks the troll should troll his own state's forum. Instead of worrying about what goes on here. In my hardline opinion.

:banana:

awnuts

no trolling just amazed at what you didnt have a few months ago and wished you had and now you have and its still not good enough.

paul@paul-fisher.com

You read D. as to everyone in wisc?

MD is not offering that to law enforcement or owners of or employees of detective agencys.
Damn you twist things to suit your needs.By your own words wisc doesnt fall under MD training.

Hmmm..... I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you just are confused by the formatting. The comments are for the section above them, not below. I even highlighted the part. The comment I made was for 'c', not 'd'.
Gee, sounds like the MD state police course.

'd' comment is:
WI doesn't allow concealed carry by security guards until SB93 comes into effect AND they get a permit.

I will edit the original post to fix the format. It was putting a line between the portion I was commenting on and the commend and no line between the comment and the NEXT section.

Back to the story. The reason this cc permit is oc related is that it is NOT just a cc permit, but it expands where I can oc as well.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

truthfully I dont give a rats @## about wisc. I do support open carry thats why I'm here. I also support cc at another website. As to WE its us,we as open carry users need to promote open carry to get the public acceptance WE need. The only reason I ever even been to wisc is because a great percentage of my family lives there.

That is why I do it most anytime I leave the house, where legal. I do it today without ANY required training or a permit. You started this discussion by saying we shouldn't use the MD training even if legal.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
no trolling just amazed at what you didnt have a few months ago and wished you had and now you have and its still not good enough.
Perhaps you should spend less time on being amazed and spewing your sour grapes and more time concentrating on getting New Mexico's laws improved to the point where they are as good as Wisconsin's.... :D

Last edited:

wild boar

Paul, a clarification please.

PAUL IN POST #11 Item #2 FIREARMS IS USED TO DEFINE REQUIREMENTS, THEN IN NUMBER 4 SMALL ARMS IS USED. I'M QUALIFIED AS AN EXPERT WITH THE M16A1, NEVER HAD TO FIRE A PISTOL. AM I STILL COVERED? THANK YOU. boar out. :question:

MKEgal

Boar - as to what's covered, read the bill. (Link in line 1 of my sig.)
IIRC, the training requirements are largely on pg. 8. (Yes, I've read it WAAAAY too many times.)

3. A current or expired license, or a photocopy of a current or expired license, that the individual holds or has held that indicates that the individual is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or in another state or in a county or municipality of this state or of another state unless the license has been revoked for cause.
^Gee, the 1st thing that has ANYTHING to do with concealed carry!^
What annoys me about that requirement is that I can use my PA permit as "proof of training" to get a WI permit, even though PA only requires a background check.

Kinda like I'm annoyed by the requirement that WI residents have to get "training" (though the MDSP course barely is that), while residents from states that don't require training will be able to carry in WI just like I will (with my "MDSP training").

Like Paul, I have several ways other than the MDSP course to get a permit, but am planning to use the MDSP certificate. Then I'll send in my other certs to be listed on the WI instructor page.

Besides, how can the DOJ say with a straight face that a course which exactly meets the requirements stated in the law isn't acceptable for WI residents, while allowing MD residents who have had the exact same course to carry in WI? (If they can get through the rest of their state's red tape.)