• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sportsmans, Big R, Monument

livetrapper13

My buddy and I just started OCing, mostly because both of us are under 21 and want to carry (we'll be getting our CCWs on our 21st). I carry fishing whenever I go, and am starting to expand my horizons. He does not carry on his own much, so the other day when he called and asked if I wanted to go to Old West Cigar Shop with him, I knew what he meant. I carry a XD subcompact with 2 spare mags, and He has a Bersa. I don't think the guy working at the cigar shop noticed, because he ID'ed us, lol!

We then went to Sportsmans Warehouse since we were down that way, (we really just wanted an excuse to carry some more!) An employee noticed, because when I asked where the pistol mags were kept, he directed me there and said "Springfields' are on the bottom shelf".

After that we headed out to Big R in Falcon, so I could pick up some supplies. By the gun counter there was a guy with a worn in holster on his hip, no gun in the holster, and he was holding a Taurus Judge and something in a plastic case. Not sure what he was doing, my only thought was that he got new grips for his Judge, and perhaps had put/tried them on?

Anyways, my friend and I are happy with the lack of response from carrying, we were afraid of people overreacting. But so far it seems like nobody notices, though I picked up a voice recorder just in case.

Oh, and that new gun shop in Monument has a big sign saying "All firearms entering the store must be unloaded with actions open", guess they will not be getting my business.

- Livetrapper

M-Taliesin

Howdy Livetrapper!
Welcome to the forum and welcome to OC'ing.

I've been carrying one of my three handguns wherever I go everyday since I decided to just 'go for it'. To my surprise, there is very seldom any reaction from anybody at all. I've just gotten back from King Soopers where I had an encounter with a security guy and he was a total breath of fresh air: "I'm glad to see somebody exercise their 2nd Amendment rights!" That was typical of things he said, and I was blown away by his positive attitude.

Anyhow, most folks don't pay much mind to a properly holstered weapon carried by a law abiding citizen. I am waiting for my CCW, which I hope to see in about a week or so. Until then, and likely long after, I plan to keep on OC'ing.

It is also refreshing to hear of a pair of young fellows who carry responsibly and safely rather than reports of young people who we hear so much about engaging in illegal behavior. Good going to you boys, and glad to see you here on the forum!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

TheLittleMan

Welcome!

Welcome to the forum, I have only been carrying openly/at all for about a week now. Honestly I've gotten pretty much no reaction at Walmart other than a few glances from a guy and his wife I had walked by a few times. I also got a reaction from a guy at Wendy's when he handed me my food:

Him: Who do you work for? :)

Me: Huh? Oh, I work for a bakery. :)

Him: Really?! And you carry a pistol?! I don't wanna work for that bakery!

Made me lol. haha.

Overall it seems most people don't notice. Even my girl didn't notice I had it in Walmart and she was with me haha

Polynikes

Welcome to the board, livetrapper. If you're interested, and haven't noticed the other thread yet in this forum, we're having a small OC meet next Saturday. Check it out, we'd love to meet you. :banana: ;)

mahkagari

HIt is also refreshing to hear of a pair of young fellows who carry responsibly and safely rather than reports of young people who we hear so much about engaging in illegal behavior. Good going to you boys,

Be more refreshing to hear about the training you're doing in between carrying, but good for you patronizing OC-friendly businesses.

livetrapper13

Be more refreshing to hear about the training you're doing in between carrying, but good for you patronizing OC-friendly businesses.

I do try to practice as much as possibly, but ammo is expensive, after all. I probably shoot 200-300 rounds a month though. I shoot a sort of 'mock plate match' (4 paper plates, 1-2 shots each, as fast as possible, starting out holstered). But as far as actual training goes, I was given a lesson by a competition shooter on the basics; grip, recoil management, staying on target, etc... and it has helped a lot. Perhaps next year I will make a trip down to Front Sight.

And for the OC meet, I might be able to make either morning or afternoon, depending on work. I'll have to talk to the boss...

M-Taliesin

Perhaps next year I will make a trip down to Front Sight.

Howdy Pardner!
Wow, you must be rich!
Courses at Front Sight are really, really, really expensive. Add to that, you gotta drive to their compound for training.

Meanwhile, you have terrific instructors right here in Colorado who can get you trained up for much, much, much less. Most charge (average) between 100 to 150 bucks. And you don't gotta leave the state to get your training. They're right here in Colorado.

I'd just recommend that you get both classroom instruction and live fire training on their range. That particuarly true if you intend to apply for a CCW. My own instructor charged $125 and we had 4 hours of classroom and another 4 (give or take) on the range. I learned things I never knew about shooting my pistol. It was worth every nickel. I am now much more accurate on my range practice and hope to have my CCW pretty soon in the bargain.

Any training you get, be sure to train with guns you actually use. Don't practice with a weapon you've rented, but with one you'll actually depend on when the chips are down.

I'm sure Front Sight is top notch. No argument. But you can get top notch right here in our own neck of the nation, without a second mortgage on the house.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

livetrapper13

Howdy Pardner!
Wow, you must be rich!
Courses at Front Sight are really, really, really expensive. Add to that, you gotta drive to their compound for training.

Meanwhile, you have terrific instructors right here in Colorado who can get you trained up for much, much, much less. Most charge (average) between 100 to 150 bucks. And you don't gotta leave the state to get your training. They're right here in Colorado.

I'd just recommend that you get both classroom instruction and live fire training on their range. That particuarly true if you intend to apply for a CCW. My own instructor charged $125 and we had 4 hours of classroom and another 4 (give or take) on the range. I learned things I never knew about shooting my pistol. It was worth every nickel. I am now much more accurate on my range practice and hope to have my CCW pretty soon in the bargain.

Any training you get, be sure to train with guns you actually use. Don't practice with a weapon you've rented, but with one you'll actually depend on when the chips are down.

I'm sure Front Sight is top notch. No argument. But you can get top notch right here in our own neck of the nation, without a second mortgage on the house.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Thanks for the info! I will be taking my CC class sometime w/in the year, just have to decide where I will get additional training!

mahkagari

Thanks for the info! I will be taking my CC class sometime w/in the year, just have to decide where I will get additional training!

A couple of tips for training on your own:

1) Target shoot with your heart rate up. Do a set of pushups and then see what that does for your accuracy.
2) If you have a smart phone, look for the Shot Timer PRO app. They have a free version. You can calibrate it to snap caps to work on your draw.
3) Combine the two above.