• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unbelievable

2ndammendmentbrotha

Yesterday I was at the Hammond Work One office and the armed guard was actually carrying a Hi Point pistol.(I had an M&P40) I don't know why anyone would carry this as a personal protection piece let alone as a duty weapon. I also find it odd that a security firm would let any of it's officers carry such a cheap weapon.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Yesterday I was at the Hammond Work One office and the armed guard was actually carrying a Hi Point pistol.(I had an M&P40) I don't know why anyone would carry this as a personal protection piece let alone as a duty weapon. I also find it odd that a security firm would let any of it's officers carry such a cheap weapon.

It's definitely a wierd choice for a defensive sidearm. His firm probably gave him a set amount of money and he had to pay the difference. Rather than do that he bought a Hipoint. Did you get a chance to interact with him at all?

asullivangarner

Without reading the contract between said "armed guard" and his employer, no one will ever know.

If I were hire as an "armed guard", i would carry a weapon that I knew how to use and spent whatever "scholarship" money on rounds and range time...

I just hope this was not this dude's first time with a weapon on his hip.

Stay Safe,

asg

carry for myself

thats a little scary, almost as bad as carrying a bryco jennings 9. heck when i did security i wouldnt settle for anything less than glock

sraacke

As a security officer myself, let me jump in to the guys defence some and say that it's likly that he is not really into firearms like we are. It's just a necessary tool that he's required to have. He probably had to buy it himself and he probably doesn't plan on doing security as a career but only for a short while.
Most guard jobs are the equivilant of McDonalds summer jobs. They are a low pay, short term solution to a gap in employment for most people. The guy speant as little as possible on a weapon he may never use outside of whatever mandatoy training he got after applying for the job.
I've seen guards with old .22 long rifle revolvers and even .380 semis in their cheap nylon holsters.
I worked for a company which issued a S&W mod 10 with 5 lead nose bullets and it was not assigned to the officer but the post with each officer passing it on to his relief at shift change. The bare minimum required to be "armed" on that post.
I have read, but not personally seen, posts in forums dedicated to security officers, where the post describes working for a company or seeing a company issue "dummy" guns which are inert. I've also read posts at those security forums of guards with guns which were somehow glued/welded into the holster so that they can not be removed. The gun and holster are there only for show, not for acual use. The OC deterent is supposed o be enough and the company doesn't want the liability of a minimum wage, short time employee getting bored and shooting himself or someone else with thier weapon. Or getting in a firefight/shototout.
Honestly, after years of working in the industry I can see where some of these security business owners are coming from with their ideas but I would never agree to work for any of them. The profit margins in security jobs are razor thin and it really doesn't pay to hire gungho squaredaway guys for many of those jobs because they will want more pay and benefits than you are able to get from the account. So you staff it with the cheapest peorson who is willing to do the job, give him the cheapest uniform possible or even have him buy the uniform himself, which I've seen. Tell him he needs a holster and a gun. He will get go our and buy the cheapest POS he can find at the pawn shop and plans on selling back as soon as he gets a job with his uncles landscaping business.
It's honestly one of my pet peeves when someone refers to guars/security as rent-a-cop, wannabe, etc.... If you ever work anytime in security you find the vast majority of security have no desire to be police nor are their jobs anything like law enforcement. They are there to be a deterent to theft and to enforce polices for the company, not laws of the town. Rarely do they have arrest powers over that of an average citizen and most are not allowed to perform any sort of detentions or arrests at all for fear of lawsuits against the company.
It's just another job. Sometimes a temporary part time or second job. Guards I work with may come to work straight from a job working as a janitor at a hotel (we actually have 2 of them that do that working tonight) and we have one on shift right now that works at a car dealorship cleaing/detailing cars. This is nothing but a second paycheck for them. They are not "gun people" any more than they are "flashlight geeks" just because we are issued a maglight at rollcall to carry on post.
Sorry for the long post.
Steve, hospital security guy

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
[video=youtube;AbvvurXmAmg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg[/video]

Well...seems to get the job done, no?

VW_Factor

[video=youtube;AbvvurXmAmg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg[/video]

Well...seems to get the job done, no?

Indeed. I personally will never fault a person for carrying any weapon, regardless of who made it. If they trust it, that is up to them.

Anyway. I've never fired a HiPoint, however knowing what I've seen of them I certainly wouldn't knock them for going bang everytime you pull the trigger.

They however are, quite a bit uglier than my Ruger... :lol:

Metalhead47

Oh no you did NOT just go there :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Have anything to back up your assertion that HiPoints are somehow mechanically deficient merely because of their low price? *I* carry a HiPoint 9mm from time to time as a personal protection piece, and YES I trust my life with it. Got a couple thousand rounds thru mine at this point, with NOT ONE SINGLE MALFUNCTION that was not a result of user error. Someone already posted one video, go on YouTube and you'll find a plethora of HiPoint test videos that demonstrate they're just as reliable and durable as any other modern pistol, and probably more so than some (nice thing about a cheap gun, you can test it to destruction and not be out a month's mortgage). Those who actually OWN and USE HiPoints do nothing but sing their praises, this snobby "cheap is crap" attitude always seems to come from those who "heard from a friend of a friend that..."

Don't like HiPoints? Don't buy one. But don't sit there and cast unfounded dispersions on them and insult those of who DO own them, just because they don't meet some personal arbitrary price standard of yours.

zack991

Trusting a HI-point with your life is as dumb as hiring a crack whore with watching your kids.

Metalhead47

Trusting a HI-point with your life is as dumb as hiring a crack whore with watching your kids.

Care to explain HOW, exactly? My hipoint is accurate, it is reliable. It goes bang EVERY SINGLE TIME I PULL THE TRIGGER, and the bullets hit where I aim them. Again, have any EVIDENCE to back up your snobbery, or do you think only people who can afford to spend a certain amount on a gun have the right to self defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DWCook

Activist Member
Okay guys lets not get all mad at each other just because someone doesn't like a certain brain of firearm or maker. We all buy and carry a certain firearm for our own personal reasons. As long as the firearm goes off when the trigger is pulled and is accurate I could care less what brand it is. Yes there are cheap firearms out there but don't sit here and bash people. As for fellow OCer's your choise to buy a Hi-Point is your own and if someoe doesn't like it just brush it off as everyone has a right to their own opinion. Lets not make this fire any hotter than it should be.

Last edited:

zack991

Care to explain HOW, exactly? My hipoint is accurate, it is reliable. It goes bang EVERY SINGLE TIME I PULL THE TRIGGER, and the bullets hit where I aim them. Again, have any EVIDENCE to back up your snobbery, or do you think only people who can afford to spend a certain amount on a gun have the right to self defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are one of the few and very lucky to boot. I work as an armed guard working on a number of Government sites. Every year when we go to the range to be re-certified there is always ONE who brings a HI-point. Not even one has made it through the course, there has been everything from double feeds, FTF, and some firing pins have broken. I have seen cracked frames because the firearm was unable to handle the +p ammo. It wastes a ton of range time and cost people time and money who need to get back to work. It’s been such an issue those wishing to take the course cannot use a HI-point firearms period (or other bargain guns). Our company's policy is if you work for us, you cannot use them for a duty firearm.

The stupidity to be in a dangerous line of work or use it as a carry piece to protect ones family makes no sense to me. It has reputation of being unreliable, piss poor accuracy and a list of failures that I have personally seen time and time again. The excuse that I am being snobby about this is downright bull. There’s plenty of options in quality revolvers or small semi autos that have a hell of a lot better value and reliability for just a little bit more and in these horrible economic times, people are selling firearms for a lot less than there real value.

My question to people is how much is your family's life worth and people can say all they want that they cannot afford a quality "high end firearm". Yet those same people have internet, cable tv, eating out, 300-dollar cell phones and so on buying other entertainment goodies. They loose the entire argument. Simply if people really want a quality firearm they can get one, what’s your family’s life worth and what are your priorities. Everyone can buy what they please, but I know my Colt, Glock, Springfield, RRA, Charter arms ect have a proven track record that I trust my life with. God forbid my family is killed, raped because I bought a piss poor weapon that failed when I need it the most. Again how much is ones family worth to them, ANYONE can afford a quality firearm. Buying a firearm that is known to fail is playing with fire, every weapon can break at the wrong times no matter the brand granted.Yet why buy a product that is known to have major issues. People don't shop for cars, tvs ,tools, computers ect, with that history, so why buy a product you would use to defend your family's with. People can carry what they please, but I refuse to work with and trust my life in a persons firearm that has slightly better odds at working then me winning millions from Nigeria.

Last edited:

Michigander

I've never, ever shot a .45 I liked the feel of as well as a Hi Point .45. I own better guns and have no need to buy a Hi Point so I'm not going to, but it's a fact that I'd have no issues whatsoever carrying one professionally, if I had to. They are utterly serviceable guns, and I don't think there is any reason to judge anyone for choosing to carry one.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP They however are, quite a bit uglier than my Ruger... :lol:

Uglier? You're implying Rugers are ugly?

Sacrilege! Heresy!

You can just trot on over to the Smith & Wesson forum from now on, Mister. I'm heading over to the Ruger forum just this very minute and posting a quote and link to your outrageous attitude. You won't be able to get advice on so much as replacing a grip screw on an old Security Six. Not that you'd want to, since Rugers are so ugly.

:p:)

Mlutz

I oc'd a hi-point for a year and a half. Shot thousands of rounds with no problems. I got the gun for $129, it was my first hand gun. I wasnt sure I would really get into them, so I did go and buy a "cheap" gun. Never had any issues with it. (ok, one time I put the sear pin in the wrong way, but the tech helped m fix that problem in 3 seconds.) Point being, as a starter gun, have at it. As a carry gun, great. A $130 pistol on you hip is better than a $1000 pistol at a gun shop. Now, everyone that has knocked them, I STILL havent found ANYONE that would stand in front of one...

frommycolddeadhands

A $130 pistol on you hip is better than a $1000 pistol at a gun shop. Now, everyone that has knocked them, I STILL havent found ANYONE that would stand in front of one...

+100

A bullet fired from a cheap handgun is just as deadly as a bullet fired from a gold plated one. Firearms are relatively simple machines, and unless you want to put some bells and whistles on your weapon, or are planning to expose it to some very harsh conditions (mud, rain, sand, etc) it doesn't take much to maintain it in good operating order.

If the weapon is going to be kept clean, and spend most of it's time in a holster on the hip of a guard, indoors in a climate controlled environment......why should I care if it's a hi-point or a glock?

okboomer

ROFLOL You guys slay me HARHARHAR

What does it matter what gun anyone other than you carries?

You want to get into it, I know a firearms instructor (very highly respected!) who will not allow ANY GLOCKS on his ranges because of the blow-up factor (3 17's in one year). And these are the one's most PDs use? Of course, there is a rumor that most PD guns see less range time than most of ours :lol:

Heck, I would take a Hi-point over a glock or taurus any day, but that's just me :cool:

Yes, I have shot the guns I referenced and really didn't like any of them! But BIL with terrible arthritis in his hands and low funds just loved his!

And in the spirit of full disclosure, I do not have any "plastic" handguns, mine are all steel/wood - ya know "real guns" :lol:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
You want to get into it, I know a firearms instructor (very highly respected!) who will not allow ANY GLOCKS on his ranges because of the blow-up factor (3 17's in one year).

Respected by whom? A respected firearms instructor should know that ANY gun can blow up... Does he ban all guns at his gun range too?

Just saying...I know people pick and choose sides with glocks/XDs/M&Ps/etc etc, but you can't deny that Glocks have a history of being reliable/durable. To ban them from your range is just childish.