• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unbelievable

frommycolddeadhands

Any company that request for me to carry a revolver...will get laughed at and I would walk right out.

Hey, don't sell revolvers short. I've got a .38 spl that has been good to me for a lot of years, and I'll take it over a semi-auto any day of the week. It hits what it's aimed at and doesn't have half the problems that an auto does. There is no such thing as a slide jam, and I dont have to waste time doing a 'tap rack' if I hit a dud round on bad ammo. I just pull the trigger again, and that pretty little cylinder will rotate around to another live round and go bang. Point and click at its best.

Its reliable to a fault, easy to handle, fires double or single action, and will put a group downrange at 25 yards that you could cover with a quarter on an average day.

Don't knock the wheelgun.

koggman

Hi-Point

Yesterday I was at the Hammond Work One office and the armed guard was actually carrying a Hi Point pistol.(I had an M&P40) I don't know why anyone would carry this as a personal protection piece let alone as a duty weapon. I also find it odd that a security firm would let any of it's officers carry such a cheap weapon.

I thought this forum was for promoting your second amendment rights.
Not some place for a gun snob to vent.
I own 8 different makes and calibers of handguns and one of them is a HI-Point 45
It has had more rounds and range time and is as accurate and reliable as any of my others ( S&W, Ruger, colt)
Support OC
Stop trashing your brothers in arms.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I thought this forum was for promoting your second amendment rights.
Not some place for a gun snob to vent.
I own 8 different makes and calibers of handguns and one of them is a HI-Point 45
It has had more rounds and range time and is as accurate and reliable as any of my others ( S&W, Ruger, colt)
Support OC
Stop trashing your brothers in arms.

He's not trashing anyone. He is pointing out the odd choice of defensive sidearm for the guard. While Hi-Points may function extremely well, they are definitely not in the top ten choices for sidearms.

Alexcabbie

Ja, this is the "selecting a handgun" section of the forum.
A HiPoint vs. a Kimber is like weenie-beanies vs. Porterhouse steak. Both are mourishing, but given the choice darn few would choose weenie-beans (but you don't need to use Beano with a HiPoint).

The thing about HiPoints is, the larger the caliber, the uglier the gun. A HiPoint .45 has more than a passable resemblance to a cordless drill. And while it may be fully functional, reliable and lethal as any other .45, and let us face it, when carried as gear on a pressed, starched uniform it looks like hell. A matching baton would have to consist of a de-barked tree branch.

But, I'm sure that there are guys who own HiPoints who could shoot rings around some yokel with a Kimber who goes around acting all cool because he has such a Rolex of a firearm. :cool:

Mlutz

But, I'm sure that there are guys who own HiPoints who could shoot rings around some yokel with a Kimber who goes around acting all cool because he has such a Rolex of a firearm. :cool:
Great point. As far as price, how much ammo "could", I'm sorry CAN you buy before you equal a $1200 kimber? Lots of practice rounds. With a hi point, you aren't afraid to scratch or "break it" either. A kimber on the other hand... :p

VW_Factor

A HiPoint vs. a Kimber is like weenie-beanies vs. Porterhouse steak. Both are mourishing, but given the choice darn few would choose weenie-beans (but you don't need to use Beano with a HiPoint).

The thing about HiPoints is, the larger the caliber, the uglier the gun. A HiPoint .45 has more than a passable resemblance to a cordless drill. And while it may be fully functional, reliable and lethal as any other .45, and let us face it, when carried as gear on a pressed, starched uniform it looks like hell. A matching baton would have to consist of a de-barked tree branch.

I'll have to +1 this post. :D

Metalhead47

A valid point. But those with the beanie-weenies, whether though choice or circumstance, should not be looked down upon as long as the end result is the same.

I did try carrying my HP .45 for a short time. A very short time. I love how it shoots, but it's just too friggin' heavy. Probably why it shoots so nice. The Tanfoglio I carry when I want a .45 is a brick too, but at least its a shiny, stylish brick.:cool:

That's cuz, as mlutz said, the guys with the HiPoints can still afford ammo to learn to shoot with.:p

For all the "reputation" Kimbers have, I've heard from a few owners that they've had their own QC issues lately. Someone mentioned revolvers too. When we got our first guns, my wife wanted a revolver specifically because revolvers don't jam. She got a Taurus .38 snubby, and still had enough left for her own HP C9. The revolver jammed. After two two trips back to the factory, it still jammed

So yes, even guns that don't jam can, well, jam. :D

Great point. As far as price, how much ammo "could", I'm sorry CAN you buy before you equal a $1200 kimber? Lots of practice rounds. With a hi point, you aren't afraid to scratch or "break it" either. A kimber on the other hand... :p

I was thinking this too when I got my HP's. For the price of just a "real" gun :rolleyes:, I could get a HiPoint, basic holster, CPL, AND enough ammo to actually learn how to USE the durn thing, and use it effectively. And this was back during the big Obama scare when ammo scarce and expensive.

Metalhead47

Excuse me for asking....

How does a revolver jam? Timing wrong or something?

Something like that, I think. It would dry fire like buttuh all day long, but first with hollow points, then with all ammo after the first trip back, it would fire once or twice then stick. Had to grab the cylinder n twist to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.Officer

Hey, don't sell revolvers short. I've got a .38 spl that has been good to me for a lot of years, and I'll take it over a semi-auto any day of the week. It hits what it's aimed at and doesn't have half the problems that an auto does. There is no such thing as a slide jam, and I dont have to waste time doing a 'tap rack' if I hit a dud round on bad ammo. I just pull the trigger again, and that pretty little cylinder will rotate around to another live round and go bang. Point and click at its best.

Its reliable to a fault, easy to handle, fires double or single action, and will put a group downrange at 25 yards that you could cover with a quarter on an average day.

Don't knock the wheelgun.

:dude: Well I need to come see you then...teach me a thing or two ;)
I still wouldn't feel safe enough carrying on duty.

hermannr

When does a revolver jam? Same time any other weapon will, when you shoot it a lot, and don't properly clean it.

My favorite, most reliable, oldest handgun is an old Colt wheel gun. I do know that it is possible to jam it up...takes a few hundred rounds, but it will slowly stop rotating.

That .003" gap between the cylinder and the barrel, will slowly fill up, even with the machined relief in the top strap. Then the drag becomes unacceptable DA.