• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT - 5th Wheel / Travel Trailer "Homestead" in WA

hermannr

Come on, it doesn't get THAT cold over here. Worst so far, Here at this location has been -27°F. I remember a bit lower than that when we lived a few miles north east of here on the other side of the border in the '50s.

Yes, I have used an out house in very cold weather, not fun, you go quick.... but if it got really ugly, (below 0°F) we would use a chamber pot in the house.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Your idea sounds really cool. I wish you the best of luck. I mighta given it a try, if I wasn't so afraid of what my wife might say....

amzbrady

Maybe check and see what system they use at state parks, Out house style or pump it out everyso often. I think if I were lookin for a permanant solution, I would do a drain field.

amlevin

Maybe check and see what system they use at state parks, Out house style or pump it out everyso often. I think if I were lookin for a permanant solution, I would do a drain field.

Most of the State Parks I have been to, that don't have septic system, use "Vault Toilets" that get pumped out every so often. They come complete with Flies, Bee's, and more than an adequate supply of Stench!

Septic would be my choice too but the cost is atrocious. As long as you have soil that will "perk" and a downhill slope so you don't have to pump to the leach field the cost can be kept down but they can still cost as much as a 5th wheel itself. The "engineering" and permit are a big part of the cost.

We have some "woods dwellers" near where I live that store their waste in 5-Gal "Homer Buckets" from Home Depot. They then make regular trips to the state rest area on I-5 to dump them. If the economy gets much worse we'll see more of these.