• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pursuing AB69, Castle Doctrine

BROKENSPROKET

As long as they REALLY fix it by then!!! Let's get to lobbying the committee members for true stand-your ground!!!

I am afraid that AB69-ASA3 is the best they are going to give us.

The reason that is got rescheduled was that AB69-ASA3-AA1 was not submitted it time, so Rep. hebl requested the Executive Session on AB69 be canceled. The chair, Rep. J. Ott, consented and rescheduled it for Sept. 1.

Last edited:

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
I am afraid that AB69-ASA3 is the best they are going to give us.

The reason that is got rescheduled was that AB69-ASA3-AA1 was not submitted it time, so Rep. hebl requested the Executive Session on AB69 be canceled. The chair, Rep. J. Ott, consented and rescheduled it for Sept. 1.
If you are working in the private sector and you suck that bad at your job you'd be fired! :banghead:

BROKENSPROKET

If you are working in the private sector and you suck that bad at your job you'd be fired! :banghead:

This is what bothers me. The Chair, Rep. J. Ott, could have said, "Sorry, but you know the rules and it was not submitted in time so it will not be heard in this Exective Session and we are going forward to hear and vote on AB69. You may offer your ammendment on the Assembly Floor if you so wish."

JFC! They got SB93 through in half the time.

Packfanatic

+1000

This is what bothers me. The Chair, Rep. J. Ott, could have said, "Sorry, but you know the rules and it was not submitted in time so it will not be heard in this Exective Session and we are going forward to hear and vote on AB69. You may offer your ammendment on the Assembly Floor if you so wish."

JFC! They got SB93 through in half the time.

Yes i agree with Both the previous statements. we would lose our job for not knowing the rules.. Just saying

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Glad to hear it.....

This is WI, not Commiefornia or ILLinois. We carry loaded here. ;)
Funnily enough here in Kommiefornia we also carry loaded in our homes and yards etc where it is legal....now we are in a fight for our lives to keep open carry in our state.....as long as I can defend myself and my family I will continue to do so....AR15, Tactical Shotgun or handguns I'm well versed in their use......just waiting to see if our governor signs this into law so we have no way of protecting ourselves with the use of handguns.......standby all those scaredy cat gun haters when we all start carrying our rifles and shotguns around as we have no other options left ..........I wonder if I can carry my tactical Tomahawk as a self defense weapon as I'm quite adept with that.....have to see if that is allowed

BROKENSPROKET

On 8-18-11, the Executive Session of the Assembly Judiciary & Ethics Committee was cancelled again. Rep. J. Ott told all the committee members to keep 9-1-11 open as they were going to reschedule it for that day. I have checked the Committee Schedule and that has not been done.

AB69 has been held up in committee for some time now. I am starting to fear that it is not coming.

protias

On 8-18-11, the Executive Session of the Assembly Judiciary & Ethics Committee was cancelled again. Rep. J. Ott told all the committee members to keep 9-1-11 open as they were going to reschedule it for that day. I have checked the Committee Schedule and that has not been done.

AB69 has been held up in committee for some time now. I am starting to fear that it is not coming.

Who is on the committee?

Captain Nemo

Dave Gran and Brokensprocket are both correct. We must start hitting the keyboards hard concerning a stand your ground provision in the Castle Doctrine bills. From my contacts and other inside information I have an uneasy feeling that the bills may not make it out of committee. Many legislators that strongly supported Act 35 do not seem to have the same dedication toward a Castle Doctine, especially a stand your ground provision. I'm not sure why the apathy but rumor has it that there is strong lobbying against it by law enforcement and especially the DA offices. As the state self defense laws stand at this time the burden of proof that deadly self defense was warranted rests with the defendant. Yes, in the case of self defense in Wisconsin you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent. That fact makes the LE and DA jobs easier. They do not need to prove that the use of deadly force was not necessary. You have to prove it was. Simple formula: easier convictions = more convictions. DA's have a thirst for convictions. I don't know if the rumors are in fact true. I do understand the theory behind them so I suspect they could be true. That is why we have to start beating the drums loudly.

protias

Representative J. Ott (Chair)
Representative Larson (Vice-Chair)
Representative Kerkman
Representative Jacque
Representative Craig
Representative Hebl
Representative Staskunas
Representative Cullen

Done!

BROKENSPROKET

Word for Sen Grothman's Office on 9/1/11

Dear 2nd Amendment Supporters,

It is my understanding the Castle Doctrine bills will be scheduled for committee votes in September and moved for full floor action in October. Right now, the Assembly Judiciary Committee is working through an assortment of amendments.

Take care and have a great weekend!
Working for Wisconsin's Families,
Jolene R. Churchill, Staffer
Senator Glenn Grothman's Office
20th Senate District
1-800-662-1227
* All communications are subject to open records, Wis. Stats.

apierce918

van wanggard said in an article by tmj4 that stand your ground language will be in the bill, so hopefully one of those amendments is that :D

this article -
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/128722503.html

"Now for self defense, they ask you why didn't you run away, why didn't you leave the area," said Sen. Van Wanggard of Racine. "You shouldn't have to do that in your own home."

He's one of several senators pushing a bill to expand homeowners rights to protect them from being convicted of a crime or civil if someone unlawfully or forcefully tries to enter and the homeowner uses deadly force. It's known as the castle doctrine.

They will not have to retreat, they will have stand your ground language in this bill," explained Wanggard.

He said the bill would change the perspective of someone before they break in, knowing that person has the right to go after them."

Last edited:

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
van wanggard said in an article by tmj4 that stand your ground language will be in the bill, so hopefully one of those amendments is that :D

this article -

"Now for self defense, they ask you why didn't you run away, why didn't you leave the area," said Sen. Van Wanggard of Racine. "You shouldn't have to do that in your own home."

He's one of several senators pushing a bill to expand homeowners rights to protect them from being convicted of a crime or civil if someone unlawfully or forcefully tries to enter and the homeowner uses deadly force. It's known as the castle doctrine.

They will not have to retreat, they will have stand your ground language in this bill," explained Wanggard.

He said the bill would change the perspective of someone before they break in, knowing that person has the right to go after them."
IF the quotes are accurate; and it's a BIG IF, he does mention "stand your ground language", but it's all in the context of being in your home. If we don't go after this aggressively we won't get it.

BROKENSPROKET

this article -

This article is messed up in several ways.

1. This article is about a home invasion. "They will not have to retreat, they will have stand your ground language in this bill," explained Wanggard. I thnk Wanggard is confused or is misquoted. There is 'no duty to retreat' language in the bill, but it only applies to Home, Business or Vehicle. That is not the same as 'Stand Your Ground' which refers to 'no duty to retreat' anywhere you have a legal right to be where self-defense is presumed with protetion from civil liability.

2. On Aug. 18, the Exucutive Session on AB69 was canceled and Rep. J. Ott told all member to keep Sept. 1 open for this. But is was NOT scheduled. This article was released on Tuesday, Aug. 29 and it states:
The bill is scheduled for a vote in the Assembly on Thursday.
NO, it never did get scheduled for this Thursday.

DO NOT TAKE THIS ARTICLE AS EVIDENCE THAT THEY WILL BE ADDING STAND YOUR GROUND LANGUAGE.

apierce918

I see, I guess the way we are used to seeing "stand your ground" we obviously think it should be everywhere, I didnt even think about them limiting it to just the home and not everywhere you have a right to be.

protias

Privilege to self defense? We have, "The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose."